SNP leadership election - Page 74 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

yeah, I have voted SNP since the independence referendum as I fundamentally disagreed with how the unionist parties shafted us with the vow. I am pro independence but right wing.  My constituency was Tory for many years but now is straight fight between Lib Dems and snp.  I could tactical vote for Lib Dems but Cole hamilton is a nob of the highest order and can’t vote for him.

I will look in to Alba, might be tempted to vote there if they can gain momentum.

Fair enough. Sorry for being presumptive.  (And I agree with you 100% on your Cole Hamilton analysis 👍🙂 )

8 minutes ago, Marky said:

That night be a reflection of the number of folk who joined post indyref who now no longer believe the SNP are the vehicle for independence or that independence is remotely likely in the foreseeable future.

I also think membership numbers will plummet after this. 

You would think those people would have cancelled their membership before now though if they were that disenfranchised. 

It’s most likely 30% thought they were all shite and couldn’t make a choice. 

The thing is the strength of a party in the political landscape determines the hunger for independence.

Going by this result today there are people on here (three I can count) who say they won't vote SNP again. Fair enough but in the eyes of the British media it is three more people counted as a unionist and supportive of the union. That is the way of the political world.

There is no route to independence that is known of that requires the say so of Westminster for a referendum. If there is then nobody has identified it and UDI is not the answer unless we want to live as social lepurs in the international community. The defacto route offers the best chance but it seems opposition withing the SNP stands in the way of that.

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I wish the man good luck.

He is going to get such a hard time. The only small positive I can think is that people might feel a bit sorry for him as he is not as combative as NS. If unionists push too hard it could be counterproductive for them. 

Well the route to independence is clearly not through New SNP.  That's been obvious for about 8 years now and it certainly won't arrive through this fkin idiot.  I reckon they'll lose at least 30 MPs/trough-slurpers at the next WM GE.  Not a bad thing as their total demise is now necessary for the indy cause to move forward.

What party/entity will grasp the mantle I don't know, but the SNP will eventually implode as spectacularly as Labour did up here.  No problem with their party-before-country supporters crowing for now.  He who laughs last and all that.  🙂

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

He is going to get such a hard time. The only small positive I can think is that people might feel a bit sorry for him as he is not as combative as NS. If unionists push too hard it could be counterproductive for them. 

I hope people do give him a chance.   Can't see the network news in London taking much notice of him, unlike Sturgeon or Salmond. 

will give him a chance but if there's no Indy plan, I honestly think Sarwar could run the country better.. which isn't really the position you want to be in.

6 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

will give him a chance but if there's no Indy plan,

As for the Indy plan. If he has one, he kept it pretty much to himself during the hustings I tuned into? So I don't hold out a lot of hope.

But I'm with you, about giving him a chance. All the best to him and hope he springs a suprise (however unlikely it seems now).

8 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I hope people do give him a chance.   Can't see the network news in London taking much notice of him, unlike Sturgeon or Salmond. 

will give him a chance but if there's no Indy plan, I honestly think Sarwar could run the country better.. which isn't really the position you want to be in.

There is nothing in this world would convince me to vote Labour. A party who stands against the Scottish people’s right to self determination will never get my vote. Ever. I would vote Alba if I felt SNP were failing. 

3 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

As for the Indy plan. If he has one, he kept it pretty much to himself during the hustings I tuned into? So I don't hold out a lot of hope.

But I'm with you, about giving him a chance. All the best to him and hope he springs a suprise (however unlikely it seems now).

insipid and weak.  Someone like penny morduant would eat him for breakfast in a head to head debate.

when you have policies as extreme as his wing of the snp and the greens it’s imperative to have strong leadership.

I suspect he will go after a catastrophic election result with SNP voters defecting to labour.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

insipid and weak.  Someone like penny morduant would eat him for breakfast in a head to head debate.

when you have policies as extreme as his wing of the snp and the greens it’s imperative to have strong leadership.

I suspect he will go after a catastrophic election result with SNP voters defecting to labour.

I don't think they will defect.

They will abstain.

Similar to 2017.

Tories will defect to labour if they think snp will win the seat.

3 minutes ago, stocky said:

I don't think they will defect.

They will abstain.

Similar to 2017.

Tories will defect to labour if they think snp will win the seat.

yeah, my tactical vote is Lib Dem.  Might consider it to keep the snp out.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You've painted a pretty bleak scenario there. But it's hard to argue against 😞

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

30% of Ash Regan's second preference went to ..............Humza Yousaf

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

Difficult to understand such an appalling turn out. Also difficult to understand any of Ash's second preferences going to Humza.

In some ways it's a good result for SNP in the short term but not for them or independence in the longer term. I could see soft no's being won over by Kate but not by Humza.

A lot of people have been quite vocal about leaving SNP if Kate won but I suspect they'll be a lot leaving now as they're fed up with the direction in which the SNP are heading. I've not cancelled my membership yet but SNP shouldn't take it for granted. 

Well, that’s it settled then. Let’s see how things unfold over the next couple of years. 

Humza has a big challenge on his hands to be able to win over the public just to even maintain support. 

His communication style is the biggest problem for me. He’s a modern soundbite politician, regurgitation of stock phrases and no style or ability to communicate naturally. That’s where Sturgeon and Salmond were in a league of their own in these isles. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Greens have voted unanimously to continue the Bute House agreement. 

Some big decisions up ahead for Humza. There is genuine anger and frustration behind the votes for Forbes and Regan. Whilst in the short term the continuation of the Bute House agreement is good news for Yousuf, he will need to reach out to supporters of the other candidates, many of whom see the arrangement with the Greens as being hugely problematic. He will need to be very shrewd to keep on board both disillusioned SNP voters and the Greens.