SNP leadership election - Page 70 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Why not just come out and say from the start you were going to follow HQ orders? I see humza came out and said he has the most first preference votes, a slip of the tongue or something more sinister? Regardless the man is a train wreck and to even come out with that shows his incompetence 

Because I genuinely hadn’t made my mind up until the end of this week.  I see you’re getting your excuses in early if he wins tomorrow.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, aaid said:

Because I genuinely hadn’t made my mind up until the end of this week.  I see you’re getting your excuses in early if he wins tomorrow.  

Excuses For what?  someone winning that I have zero control over. if there’s anything underhand been going on, I dare say ash will be straight on the case, she seem to be good at that, she has a set of balls that’s for sure. I have actually heard they are setting up a legal challenge if he does win, maybe that came from a taxi driver as well. 

If humza wins then it’s on you and all those who endorsed him when he kills independence,, 

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Excuses For what?  someone winning that I have zero control over. if there’s anything underhand been going on, I dare say ash will be straight on the case, she seem to be good at that, she has a set of balls that’s for sure. I have actually heard they are setting up a legal challenge if he does win, maybe that came from a taxi driver as well. 

If humza wins then it’s on you and all those who endorsed him when he kills independence,, 

Oh, I suspect that’s come from the same person who has been feeding you all the lines that have come to nothing for the last few years.  I’m not sure if you genuinely believe all that crap or whether you know it’s crap but are just interested in spreading shit.   

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

If humza wins you can kiss goodbye to independence for a long time. I could honestly see him losing loads of seats in elections too

Actually, I think the SNP will lose seats regardless of who wins, the question remains how many and how much long term damage will be caused.  

27 minutes ago, aaid said:

Actually, I think the SNP will lose seats regardless of who wins, the question remains how many and how much long term damage will be caused.  

It's guaranteed with Humza

With Forbes not so much - particularly now Trans Activism is losing support rapidly

Let's be honest you can kiss goodbye to independence for a long time regardless of who wins. I hope Kate or Ash do win it, cause then we get to see it being kissed goodbye for a long time without having to worry about the counterfactual crowd being if only x won, we'd be independent.

The whole thing is trench warfare now. No one is making any gains outwith statistical swings. There needs to be a radical overhaul of how we try and persuade people. None of the 3 candidates are particularly impressive.

Kate Forbes has the highest ceiling by quite a margin, in my opinion. The fact she has been indoctrinated in theology and is essentially a groomed and sponsored christian conservative notwithstanding. She's the gamble only one of the three with any chance of doing something, but could also backfire.

Ash Regan reminds me of someone trying to win a primary in the USA, but with no appeal outside that.

Hamza is semi-competent and has some experience , a career politician, utterly uninspiring but the "safest choice".

Since I don't care about the SNP retaining government or how well it does, i'd gamble and vote on Forbes.

4 hours ago, Freeedom said:

I asked her yesterday, she said that yes people are a bit more stuck up at Oxford than Cambridge. She added that Cambridge is more "nerdy" and Oxford is a bit more humanities focused.

Thanks! That makes sense.

I found this article which lays bare the sheer number of Oxford and Cambridge graduates in the Tory and Labour parties at Westminster.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/oxbridge-university-bias-among-mps-8006661
It's a shame they don't break it down by subject studied. (I'd hypothesise that most of the Oxbrige MPs have humanities degrees, which in turn might explain why so many Oxford graduates end up in politics? )

The bit that jumped out at me: "...10 MPs graduated from a single college, Balliol in Oxford. [7 CONs 3 LABs]...".

It's got a bit of a "To the Manor Born" architectural vibe?

image.thumb.png.5ef7fc79f627be1830b5d18c93d3d9db.png

Edited by mcguffin

7 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Thanks! That makes sense.

I found this article which breaks lays bare the sheer number of Oxford and Cambridge graduates in the Tory and Labour parties at Westminster. It's a shame they don't break it down by subject studied. (I'd hypothesise that most of the Oxbrige MPs have humanities degrees, which in turn might explain why so many Oxford graduates end up in politics? )

The bit that jumped out at me: "...10 MPs graduated from a single college, Balliol in Oxford. [7 CONs 3 LABs]...".

It's got a bit of a "To the Manor Born" architectural vibe?

image.thumb.png.5ef7fc79f627be1830b5d18c93d3d9db.png

Probably right, Thatcher studies chemistry under the tutelage of a nobel prize winner though.

Also

PPE: the Oxford degree that runs Britain

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/feb/23/ppe-oxford-university-degree-that-rules-britain

18 minutes ago, phart said:

Probably right, Thatcher studies chemistry under the tutelage of a nobel prize winner though.

Also

PPE: the Oxford degree that runs Britain

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/feb/23/ppe-oxford-university-degree-that-rules-britain

Started reading that article. VERY interesting (though I'll admit, I don't have the mental stamina to get to the end in one sitting--I guess I'm not '16-essays-per-term' PPE material 😉).

Shame Thatcher didn't stick to chemistry in my opinion. (I'm impressed by her education though).

The new leader of the SNP will be announced at 2pm tomorrow at Murrayfield 

Aaid is flying up with his Humza for leader banner ....

I'm getting a bit depressed as i'm feeling Humza will be announced as the winner regardless of the taxi driver 

Will the SNP website crash around 2.30 with the amount of membership cancellations or will they take it down before then ?

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm getting a bit depressed as i'm feeling Humza will be announced as the winner regardless of the taxi driver 

Will the SNP website crash around 2.30 with the amount of membership cancellations or will they take it down before then ?

I don't think there is an option for cancelling on the website, unless it's a new thing they have added recently. 😉

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

My initial temptation will be to resign my membership however humza will not be in the position long so will grin and bear it like I have done for the last 6 years.  

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I don't think there is an option for cancelling on the website, unless it's a new thing they have added recently. 😉

You click on your account then manage your membership

Even a chimp could find it .....

21 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

My initial temptation will be to resign my membership however humza will not be in the position long so will grin and bear it like I have done for the last 6 years.  

I think you are underestimating what it is going to be like

Humiliation wont come close

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I think you are underestimating what it is going to be like

Humiliation wont come close

It will be harder going forward, if humza gets in, we have had our branch infiltrated by roasters from that Aberdeen independence movement and they are horrible cunts 

14 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Why not just come out and say from the start you were going to follow HQ orders? I see humza came out and said he has the most first preference votes, a slip of the tongue or something more sinister? Regardless the man is a train wreck and to even come out with that shows his incompetence 

Did that actually happen?

This worries me as saying this before the result, to me, infers that he has won

I don't think there's any chance Humza Yousaf has won the SNP leadership election legitimately. But this morning I'm deeply worried that those still controlling the party have absolutely nothing left to lose by fixing it in his favour.
Edited by Ally Bongo