SNP leadership election - Page 66 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’m someone who can choose to ignore an MP’s or MSP’s endorsement if I want, the same as pretty much anyone I guess.  

If you can't see there is something not right about the over promotion of Yousaf then i'm happy to be unhinged

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

If you can't see there is something not right about the over promotion of Yousaf then i'm happy to be unhinged

As I’ve said many times, I think all the candidates are sub-optimal.

3 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Strange doesn’t come across like that

My opinion of Yousaf hasn’t changed, neither has that of Regan, Forbes has got right down in my estimation though.   Criticism of one candidate shouldn’t be taken as support for another.  

On 2/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, aaid said:

The only thing I’m certain of is that in this election is that there is absolutely no way that Ash Regan is getting my vote, all I’m trying to decide is whether or not to put her third or not to vote for her at all.

I’m sure that once she starts to be questioned you’ll realise how vacuous she is. 

On 2/21/2023 at 1:28 PM, aaid said:

The problem I am having right now is working out whether I should vote for someone whose views I - in general - agree with but don’t think is fundamentally up to the job or someone who I think is better capable - although that is shrinking by the day - to be FM and leader but some of whose views I find objectionable and don’t trust.

For those that can’t work that out, it’s Humza Yousaf and Kate Forbes in that order.

For reference.  

6 hours ago, Alibi said:

I think they'd work well as a team.  Kate would be a decent FM but I don't see her as being aggressive enough to stand up to WM; Ash would also make a good FM but clearly she's cut from a different cloth. I think together they would have the right assets to win back voters who might have been scared off by the recent shenanigans.  If Kate wins she should hand over the constitution minister post to Ash; if Ash wins, she could do worse than having Kate back  in the finance position which I think is probably her area of most strength.  Take on WM as a sort of good cop, bad cop pairing.  Cagney and Lacey with a tartan twist.  Would certainly be a lot more interesting than post-2017 Sturgeonism.  And whoever wins needs to bring the whole indy movement up to the right end of the pitch.

Yeah, this.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:01 PM, aaid said:

Katy Balls is the political editor of the Spectator.  That should tell you everything you need to know.

I'm not sure what that tells us?
A couple of days ago all three leadership candidates appeared on the LBC hustings hosted by Iain Dale, who also writes for The Spectator.
Does tell us that that Ash, Humza and Kate are secretly Tory plants?

OK as an excercise I made a note of all of "smitty's" claims. I'm recovering from an injury/illness so have a bit of time so thought would keep an eye on this.

The first verifiable one that "Sturgeon will be on the backbenches by next FMQ's" hasn't materalised.

This would happen because "her positions is no longer tenable" as big stories will come out that she can't survive.

If Peter Murrell isn't arrested in the next 24 hours that's another one falsified.

Now of course the timing might just be out so need to let the play run out a bit, but this is exactly the same rhetorical shape that Q-anon took in America.

Now of course human psychology tells us that most folk won't then change their mind they will instead "double down"

As most famously is demonstrated by the cult "The seekers" , see "when prophecy fails" as the textbook for these sort of things.

20 minutes ago, phart said:

OK as an excercise I made a note of all of "smitty's" claims. I'm recovering from an injury/illness so have a bit of time so thought would keep an eye on this.

The first verifiable one that "Sturgeon will be on the backbenches by next FMQ's" hasn't materalised.

This would happen because "her positions is no longer tenable" as big stories will come out that she can't survive.

If Peter Murrell isn't arrested in the next 24 hours that's another one falsified.

Now of course the timing might just be out so need to let the play run out a bit, but this is exactly the same rhetorical shape that Q-anon took in America.

Now of course human psychology tells us that most folk won't then change their mind they will instead "double down"

As most famously is demonstrated by the cult "The seekers" , see "when prophecy fails" as the textbook for these sort of things.

The one thing that has been consistent with the StuAnon conspiracies over the last three or four years is that either the promised actions, events or disclosures haven’t happened or if they have done they’ve been shown to either be false or immaterial.  

3 hours ago, aaid said:

I’ll just leave this here.  Whoever takes over will have a hard act to follow.

Sturgeon also had the fortune of the post 2014 surge in SNP support. 

The three candidates are poor. The only one remotely capable is Forbes. The other two would be a complete car crash. 

Which is a damning illustration of the calibre of MSP in her cabinet. 

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Maybe anecdotal however I have spoken to lots of folk that have said they would vote snp again if Kate gets in. She definitely bridges over to non snp voters,, she is definitely the more appealing to the wider public

The polar opposite of the other two numptys.

12 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

The biggest obstacle to Forbes running a successful government if elected is some of the roasters snp msp’s. I wouldn’t put it past some not to vote her in as first minister 

What is it exactly that you like about her? She's not exactly a die hard independence campaigner. 

She's a privately educated, religious fundamentalist careerist politician.

2 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

What is it exactly that you like about her? She's not exactly a die hard independence campaigner. 

For me;

Clever

Good Speaker

Forceful

Possible ability to appeal across the divide

Good optics

Honest (so far)

1 hour ago, Freeedom said:

As someone stated earlier in this thread, she went to Dingwall Academy:
image.png.d729c03fbcbf8505ede6b116be6067a1.png

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

For me;

Clever

Good Speaker

Forceful

Possible ability to appeal across the divide

Good optics

Honest (so far)

I'd agree with all that. I'd maybe add that she might have an appeal to voters from the Highlands and Islands too?