SNP leadership election - Page 64 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

8 minutes ago, daviebee said:

To conference though?  Sounded to me like a bit of a security risk and when I emailed them back and asked if they were sure I should be getting these invites I never heard from them again.

I don't think you would have got an invite to conference? You might have got an email inviting you to apply to be a delegate to conference? Of course it might just have been a mistake. Branches are run by unpaid volunteers, who never get enough credit for all the hard work that they do.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm taking these "i'm not a member anymore but i got to vote" with a pinch of salt

Nearly all of them are ALBA who are trying to get the election re-run and in turn destroy what's left of the SNP credibility

The SNP gave Mi-Voice a figure of 72000 live members

So the only way lapsed members would be getting ballots is if the SNP membership is lower than 72,000

Remember when the SNP membership was booming and Murrell was giving live updates of the numbers ?

Same database

I actually know a lad who stopped his DD 4 months ago and still is getting a vote

21 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I actually know a lad who stopped his DD 4 months ago and still is getting a vote

Did he just stop the DD or did he actually contact his branch or HQ to say he’d resigned?

in fact, you can’t actually cancel a direct debit, you need to inform the other party and they have to do it. 

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Did he just stop the DD or did he actually contact his branch or HQ to say he’d resigned?

in fact, you can’t actually cancel a direct debit, you need to inform the other party and they have to do it. 

You can cancel a direct debit. You can call the bank or just cancel online. 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

You can cancel a direct debit. You can call the bank or just cancel online. 

You sure that’s not a standing order - I’ve never actually unilaterally cancelled a direct debit before, tbf.

If all they’ve done is to cancel the direct debit and not inform the third party, it could take a few months for that to go through the system.   

12 hours ago, aaid said:

I cancelled my payment about 6 months ago. I've not been sent a vote (rightly)

All I did was cancel it on my Internet banking.

8 hours ago, jailender said:

I believe the party getting the money are the ones who can alter/cancel direct debits

No, you can definitely cancel direct debits yourself . Trust me, I work in a bank, its one of the few things I am reasonably certain of on here 😊

31 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

No, you can definitely cancel direct debits yourself . Trust me, I work in a bank, its one of the few things I am reasonably certain of on here 😊

I think some folk are still living in the 1990s. 😂 I think that's about when the rules changed? In their world stamps probably still cost about 20p. 😉

20 minutes ago, aaid said:
20 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I'm taking these "i'm not a member anymore but i got to vote" with a pinch of salt

Nearly all of them are ALBA who are trying to get the election re-run and in turn destroy what's left of the SNP credibility

35 minutes ago, aaid said:

This interview of Ash Regan by Katy Balls covers the 'Salmond Sock Puppet' insinuations.
https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-gyhxm-173f0271

Spoiler: she finds it insulting and wonders if 'journalists' would make the same insults if she was a male candidate.
Balls seems to agree with her.

Edited by mcguffin

1 minute ago, mcguffin said:

This interview of Ash Regan by Katy Balls about the 'Salmond Sock Puppet' insinuations.

Spoiler: she finds it insulting and wonders if 'journalists' would make the same insults if she was a male candidate.

Katy Balls is the political editor of the Spectator.  That should tell you everything you need to know.

3 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

This interview of Ash Regan by Katy Balls about the 'Salmond Sock Puppet' insinuations.

Everything Salmond says about the independence strategy is bang on the money which so happens to be Regan's position too.  The gi-normous problem is Salmond is a tainted person and the incredibility of the preson is tainting the message.  It was fine for the payroll vote when Nicola was saying a worse variant of it earlier.

Tom Devine is on the money as well.  Wonder if he's a stooge too.

33 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I defy anyone to watch that Torrance segment on the BBC Scotland channel and say it was "trumpian" in any way.

I'm not sure about the guy myself but that media monitor guy has jumped the shark.

Right at the start of this leadership campaign, Ash Regan's proxy, Joanna Cherry, was calling for the membership to be reopened and to allow anyone who had left the party in the last two years to be allowed to rejoin.  That's clearly an outrageous request, I suspect the timeframe isn't random as that would enable anyone who had left to join Alba to be able to vote in the leadership election.

Then they complained that the campaign was too short - despite previous campaigns being of a similar length.

Then they wanted the vote to be rerun, then halted and finally to allow people to change their minds.

That is all out of the Trump playbook.

All of these have been rebuffed and rightly so.

I've thought from day one that Regan is only in this race to disrupt it and to build up a narrative that discredits the process and the ultimate result.  

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Right at the start of this leadership campaign, Ash Regan's proxy, Joanna Cherry, was calling for the membership to be reopened and to allow anyone who had left the party in the last two years to be allowed to rejoin.  That's clearly an outrageous request, I suspect the timeframe isn't random as that would enable anyone who had left to join Alba to be able to vote in the leadership election.

Then they complained that the campaign was too short - despite previous campaigns being of a similar length.

Then they wanted the vote to be rerun, then halted and finally to allow people to change their minds.

That is all out of the Trump playbook.

All of these have been rebuffed and rightly so.

I've thought from day one that Regan is only in this race to disrupt it and to build up a narrative that discredits the process and the ultimate result.  

I don't think regurgitating "Trump playbook" at all of these things necessarily makes it so.  I'm the first to say those claiming impropriety are playing a dangerous game.  That's not what I was commenting on.

I don't think allowing people to edit their vote before the election deadline is trumpian.  I think some people would have assumed that could be done as a matter of course.  I also don't think refusing it is totally improper.

The campaign probably is too short.  Saying so isn't Trumpian. 

Clearly a calculation to allow people to rejoin a party they had already been a member of was part of their thinking.  I don't think that's trumpian either.  If they've lost 30,000 members in a few months maybe some of those people wanted to help re-shape the party back on track.  It's not like they're infiltrating something they've never been part of.

1 minute ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I don't think regurgitating "Trump playbook" at all of these things necessarily makes it so.  I'm the first to say those claiming impropriety are playing a dangerous game.  That's not what I was commenting on.

I don't think allowing people to edit their vote before the election deadline is trumpian.  I think some people would have assumed that could be done as a matter of course.  I also don't think refusing it is totally improper.

The campaign probably is too short.  Saying so isn't Trumpian. 

Clearly a calculation to allow people to rejoin a party they had already been a member of was part of their thinking.  I don't think that's trumpian either.  If they've lost 30,000 members in a few months maybe some of those people wanted to help re-shape the party back on track.  It's not like they're infiltrating something they've never been part of.

It's all about spreading a narrative that casts doubt over the election, that's Trumpian.

1000s of dead voters, vote machines not working, late votes being processed, suitcases of votes under tables, votes going missing.

20 minutes ago, aaid said:

It's all about spreading a narrative that casts doubt over the election, that's Trumpian.

1000s of dead voters, vote machines not working, late votes being processed, suitcases of votes under tables, votes going missing.

Who's said any of that?  Torrance, Regan, Forbes, Cherry?  

The issues mentioned earlier were neither definitely correct or trumpian.  All were arguable given the nature of the race we're now in and the events of the last few days.

Just now, aaid said:

Various people close to Trump and the man himself.

Lets see what happens after the result.

I know what was inferred by Trumpian.  I can quite believe some people will think votes should have been allowed to be editable up until voting day given events and this muddies the results.  They will be partly correct but not enough to deem the whole thing void.

You cast a whole load of issues which were very arguable and just branded an insult at them.  Sounds a bit trumpy to me..😅.