SNP leadership election - Page 9 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Freeedom said:

I don't expect whoever wins to last very long. Expect years of civil war in the party as they fight for the void that Sturgeon left behind her. 

Do you reckon that could be a feature why some other people haven't had a go this turn around?

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Do you reckon that could be a feature why some other people haven't had a go this turn around?

Yeah, Angus Robertson has seen the writing on the wall. The younger candidates think this is an opportunity for them but whoever wins is in deep shit 

1 minute ago, Freeedom said:

I don't expect whoever wins to last very long. Expect years of civil war in the party as they fight for the void that Sturgeon left behind her. 

As i alluded to earlier it could be even worse if Humza wins it - then it is really over and not just for the SNP

As for civil war it depends

Forbes is the only one of the three that i think is strong enough to hold it together and more importantly go forward

There was already civil war within the SNP when Sturgeon was the FM

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As i alluded to earlier it could be even worse if Humza wins it - then it is really over and not just for the SNP

Forbes is the only one of the three that i think is strong enough to hold it together and more importantly go forward

Kate Forbes has just had a baby, I don't know what the heck she is thinking taking on this job whilst looking after a young child. 

She is both economically and socially the most right wing of the candidates, it says a lot about Sturgeon that she promoted her so eagerly. The optics of her being a young, capable woman suited Sturgeons branding.

Kate Forbes has just had a baby, I don't know what the heck she is thinking taking on this job whilst looking after a young child. 

She is both economically and socially the most right wing of the candidates, it says a lot about Sturgeon that she promoted her so eagerly. The optics of her being a young, capable woman suited Sturgeons branding.

I thought Sturgeon was supposed to be “woke obsessed”?

Circumstances meant that Forbes got the job after “Dodgy” Derek Mackay got caught sexting a young guy.

She apparently seemed to have done well in an acting role and so it would’ve been odd not to give her the job full time.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I thought Sturgeon was supposed to be “woke obsessed”?

Circumstances meant that Forbes got the job after “Dodgy” Derek Mackay got caught sexting a young guy.

She apparently seemed to have done well in an acting role and so it would’ve been odd not to give her the job full time.

Why are you attributing quotes to me that I didn't say?

Agree to disagree on what constitutes doing a good job

Why are you attributing quotes to me that I didn't say?

Agree to disagree on what constitutes doing a good job

I wasn’t, I put “woke obsessed” in quotes because that’s been something she’s been accused of.  If I’d wanted to attribute it to you, I’d have made that clear.

I don’t think that she was”promoted so eagerly” as you said.  I doubt her having to fill in on the morning of her budget because her boss had just resigned after getting caught up in a sex scandal was really in the plan.

You may well not think that she did a good job but then you have stated before that you’re not really aligned with SNP policy on the economy.

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wasn’t, I put “woke obsessed” in quotes because that’s been something she’s been accused of.  If I’d wanted to attribute it to you, I’d have made that clear.

I don’t think that she was”promoted so eagerly” as you said.  I doubt her having to fill in on the morning of her budget because her boss had just resigned after getting caught up in a sex scandal was really in the plan.

You may well not think that she did a good job but then you have stated before that you’re not really aligned with SNP policy on the economy.

You're right about one thing, Austerity is not a political ideology that I follow, I don't care which party is doing it.

31 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Agree with this. 

Unfortunately, events of today and commentary from this evening has me thinking that this is heading for SNP getting a spell on the sidelines at the next SG elections. Unless Forbes can really turn things around over the next 5 weeks. 

The other 2 just aren’t up to it in my opinion. 

Just now, Freeedom said:

You're right about one thing, Austerity is not a political ideology that I follow, I don't care which party is doing it.

On that, whether the SNP are pursuing a policy of austerity, we will have to agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

3 uninspiring candidates 

Indeed.

Watching them today reminded me a bit of when SPFL players play for Scotland, particularly against good teams.  You see these lads doing well for their clubs week after week and are initially shocked to see them being run ragged. Then you remember they're SPFL players.

Basically, it shouldn't be a surprise that they're not up to par but it's still a shock seeing them out of their depth.

36 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I don’t see a massive problem with this or why it should stop her being a contender.

Me neither. I don't agree with her views on that issue but there are plenty of examples of politicians leading parties who have policies that they don't entirely agree with.

Jeremy Corbyn, for instance, if we take him at his word, supported nuclear disarmament and an elected head of state, yet for four years he led a party that pledged to renew Trident and retain the monarchy. For all the things he was criticised for, those contradictions were rarely mentioned.

38 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

I think that’s a fairly narrow view.  Surely she can have a top job and a child, many women do.  Besides the child has two parents, maybe the husband can do the lions share.  

nobody thought Boris was going to be incapable as he just had a child…. (I’m sure some may have other views on his capabilities)

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

i personally do think they should.  

Good.  I suspect then that you don’t think someone should be allowed to block *you* from doing that and uses *their* religious beliefs as justification?

Theres nothing wrong with believing that marriage is between a man and a woman, the problem is as a legislator imposing your beliefs on others.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Good.  I suspect then that you don’t think someone should be allowed to block *you* from doing that and uses *their* religious beliefs as justification?

Theres nothing wrong with believing that marriage is between a man and a woman, the problem is as a legislator imposing your beliefs on others.

Yeah, I’m a live and let live person as long as it doesn’t harm anyone.  I disagree with Forbes about this issue, but she voted with her conscience. Equally I’m pro abortion and assisted dying so suspect wouldn’t agree with her views on that.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

I don’t see a massive problem with this or why it should stop her being a contender.

To be honest that's how many evangelical/traditional Christians felt at the time. Until very recently marriage was seen by the vast majority of the population, whatever their beliefs, as being between one man and one woman. Many Christians supported the idea of civil partnerships on the basis of natural justice but believed that marriage by definition was heterosexual. I dare say that Forbes believes that sex before marriage is wrong and that adultery is wrong but I doubt she'd want to outlaw them anymore than she wishes to outlaw same sex marriage.

An attempted smear on Twitter against Humza Yousaf seems to have bitten the dust tonight.  Started apparently by Chris Musson from the Sun.  He was suggesting that Yousaf had been dishonest in claiming he supported Equal Marriage but did not vote for the bill.  

Turns out he didn’t vote for the bill at the final stage - he had voted for it at earlier stages - because he had urgent ministerial business.  The urgent business was a meeting with the Pakistani Consul to discuss a Scottish citizen who was on death row for blasphemy.  He was Minister for International Development at the time.

I can remember when journalists used to do things like check facts. 

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

An attempted smear on Twitter against Humza Yousaf seems to have bitten the dust tonight.  Started apparently by Chris Musson from the Sun.  He was suggesting that Yousaf had been dishonest in claiming he supported Equal Marriage but did not vote for the bill.  

Turns out he didn’t vote for the bill at the final stage - he had voted for it at earlier stages - because he had urgent ministerial business.  The urgent business was a meeting with the Pakistani Consul to discuss a Scottish citizen who was on death row for blasphemy.  He was Minister for International Development at the time.

I can remember when journalists used to do things like check facts. 

who would your preferred candidate be, from those already standing or out with.

Well I think Forbes fucked it there, I also think that if humza get the gig the party and independence is gone, completely finished,, ash really isn’t in it. I would love for Flynn to come to the rescue but not gonna happen 

one thing is for sure, you will get the truth from Forbes regardless by the looks of it 

Edited by hampden_loon2878

I think the games up if Humza gets it.

If he's the best the SNP can come up with then I think they'll feel it at the polls. He's not even popular with SNP voters never mind anyone else 

Somebody with an incredibly high opinion of themselves and little justification to support it.

Fucking depressing even thinking of it.

Surely people are capable of believing one thing but implementing another for their job. I do it all the time in work. I have to make calls that personally I disagree with because of the bigger picture.

Surely a FM can have their own personal views on a topic but not have that shape their decisions in the job because the job is about representing the country and not just themselves.