SNP leadership election - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

Maybe use this thread and stop the other one being filled up.

Nominations close on 24th February.

Voting starts on 13th March

Closes on 27 March.

Special conference postponed. 

Electorate is members as of yesterday. 

Edited by aaid

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SNP constitution states that a leadership election should take place over a period of four and a half months. Having not had one in almost 20 years, the SNP are now to conduct one from start to finish in the space of four and a half weeks.

The voting period of two weeks (who needs two weeks to vote after three weeks of debate?) means that it’ll be over just a week too late for the party to be able to hold its “special democracy conference” to determine its independence strategy for the next couple of years, but also that the new leader will be in place just in time to file a legal challenge over the Gender Recognition Reform bill before the April deadline.

(Something the party president Mike Russell publicly called for today, in an apparent attempt to influence the outcome of the election. Indeed, he called for candidates not to go back on ANY of the outgoing leader’s policies, which rather invites the question of why they should bother electing a new leader at all.)

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The SNP constitution states that a leadership election should take place over a period of four and a half months. Having not had one in almost 20 years, the SNP are now to conduct one from start to finish in the space of four and a half weeks.

The voting period of two weeks (who needs two weeks to vote after three weeks of debate?) means that it’ll be over just a week too late for the party to be able to hold its “special democracy conference” to determine its independence strategy for the next couple of years, but also that the new leader will be in place just in time to file a legal challenge over the Gender Recognition Reform bill before the April deadline.

(Something the party president Mike Russell publicly called for today, in an apparent attempt to influence the outcome of the election. Indeed, he called for candidates not to go back on ANY of the outgoing leader’s policies, which rather invites the question of why they should bother electing a new leader at all.)

I think that whoever has put that together is getting two things mixed up.

There is an opportunity for a leadership election at the Annual Conference, I think this was last carried out around 20 or so years ago when Swinney was challenged.   There are one set of rules for those circumstances.

There are also separate circumstances - such as we are in now - where decision making is delegated to the NEC.

Out of interest - where did this come from.

I'm assuming Campbell is wrong in that ;

1 The membership elect the new leader

2 All of the candidates will announce how they want to proceed on Independence and whether they fight the GRA decision

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Wings - where else

I thought as much.  He seems to be suggesting that this is just some sort of con trick to ensure that a challenge to the GRR bill will be launched.   However, Nicola Sturgeon is still FM until her replacement is elected, so I'm sure she'd do that, the wheels of government don't stop turning.

When Salmond stood down on the 19th September, the position of SNP Leader wasn't confirmed until almost 2 months later at Conference despite Nicola Sturgeon being the sole candidate and Salmond was leader of the SNP until 14th November and FM until the 18th.|

He's at it - again.

So in terms of unlocking the indyref stalemate - what range of options are we expecting leadership contenders to adopt as their stated position? 

I’m sure the current mandate will be argued away in public opinion so de facto WM is surely out. The new leader won’t be elected by the Scottish public, so I think we’re basically looking at the next Holyrood elections before a renewed mandate can be achieved. 

It’s going to be a challenge for someone to refresh public opinion and strike the right tones to try and consolidate existing support and build. 

12 hours ago, aaid said:

I don't think that's surprising.  I think he's canny enough to know that he is much better as a deputy than a leader.  

Aye, and his experience of doing it the first time round will be etched on his brain for the rest of his life. That was a very uncomfortable few years for him. He is a very good politician, and an excellent organiser, but his personality isn't the right match for being the First Minister. I'm glad, mostly for his sake, that he has decided not to give it another try.

My concerns have been that, whether you like her or not, no contender is remotely strong enough to follow NS . But maybe  I am looking at it the wrong way. Perhaps she was TOO strong , in as much as she stood up to everyone and anything which was impressive, but that same strength could made her look stubborn and unyielding. 
Maybe a softer approach is needed. We need a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I cannot see Kate Forbes being up to the job at this point but she may be someone that the public could warm to . 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

For somebody incredibly useless, he has an incredibly high opinion of himself. 

He should be allowed nowhere near it for that lawsuit against the nursery alone. 

He is the perfect example of someone who for some reason has managed to climb the ladder achieving the total sum of fuck all. 

31 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

For somebody incredibly useless, he has an incredibly high opinion of himself. 

He should be allowed nowhere near it for that lawsuit against the nursery alone. 

If he wins, he won't last more than a couple of years, IMO. We will be looking for another new leader after the next election. Might be long enough to see off a couple of Westminster PMs, right enough.