Process of Elimination - Away Friendly Rumours - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Process of Elimination

N4Footsoldier

So we know we will have to play a friendly after Spain away. Not confirmed whether home or away yet.

However, assuming we play UEFA competition, the only possibilities left for this date (as of 13/2/23):

France

Germany (rumoured to have already agreed to play Mexico and USA)

North Macedonia

Bulgaria

Albania

Armenia

We could of course play a non-UEFA team.

18 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

So we know we will have to play a friendly after Spain away. Not confirmed whether home or away yet.

However, assuming we play UEFA competition, the only possibilities left for this date (as of 13/2/23):

France

North Macedonia

Bulgaria

Albania

Armenia

Away to Bulgaria would be a good one. 

You could probably add in the Monday teams if it means getting a stronger quality of opposition.

No chance we are playing Armenia, Macedonia and Albania away....

There has been murmurs of playing a game in Spain....

My money is on either another high-profile Home game to be added in, or we are playing a non-UEFA team (if I had to bet, I would say Morocco, as the ACON play off's are in September, and that tournament starts in January, so teams will be looking for games across Oct and Nov as warm up's)

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

You could probably add in the Monday teams if it means getting a stronger quality of opposition.

No chance we are playing Armenia, Macedonia and Albania away....

There has been murmurs of playing a game in Spain....

My money is on either another high-profile Home game to be added in, or we are playing a non-UEFA team (if I had to bet, I would say Morocco, as the ACON play off's are in September, and that tournament starts in January, so teams will be looking for games across Oct and Nov as warm up's)

Morocco away in Tangier 😁

18 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

Morocco away in Tangier 😁

On paper that makes the most sense.... there was talk of a friendly there years ago, and during the World Cup all the talk around the national team was built around their elite training facilities.

Same time, I would not put it past SFA to be holding out for France at Hampden as part of the 150th events.

I'm of the thinking that it's unlikely we would benefit either from travelling to or hosting any of those Eastern European teams listed.

France play Netherlands away on 7th October so either a home or away game with France would probably be an easy set up for both Associations.

Morocco would probably be the most sensible non-UEFA away option.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I'm of the thinking that it's unlikely we would benefit either from travelling to or hosting any of those Eastern European teams listed.

France play Netherlands away on 7th October so either a home or away game with France would probably be an easy set up for both Associations.

Morocco would probably be the most sensible non-UEFA away option.

wonder if there are direct flights from seville 🧐

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 3:56 PM, N4Footsoldier said:

France

North Macedonia

Bulgaria

Albania

Armenia

It'l be the most expensive & hardest to get to.

• 1 month later...

It's talked about elsewhere on here but various news outlets reporting of an agreement to play France away.

You would assume the venue be Paris but the date will also overlap with the Rugby world cup going on at the same time so will be likely dependent on that

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

It's talked about elsewhere on here but various news outlets reporting of an agreement to play France away.

You would assume the venue be Paris but the date will also overlap with the Rugby world cup going on at the same time so will be likely dependent on that

At least its not too far , could be in Marseilles though . Or Metz 😟

Rugby World Cup venues  can probably write any of these off from use

Paris (Stade de France)

Marseille

Lyon

Villnueve

Bordeaux

St Etienne

Nice

Nantes

Toulouse

The default choice could be Parc Des Princes. They could also use Lille or Montpellier as the other larger grounds/cities available

3 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

It was the same back in 2007, so safe to assume that the only stadium off limits will be Stade de France... 

Back then most the talk was the WC would most likely see the game away from Paris, with most expecting St Etienne or Lille as those were the two free stadiums at the time, then most people were shocked when Parc de Princes was announced.

45 minutes ago, wanderer said:

It was the same back in 2007, so safe to assume that the only stadium off limits will be Stade de France... 

Back then most the talk was the WC would most likely see the game away from Paris, with most expecting St Etienne or Lille as those were the two free stadiums at the time, then most people were shocked when Parc de Princes was announced.

Good insight, I wasn't aware there were RWC logistics around our 2007 visit.

Hopefully Parc Des Princes and a similar result...

4 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Yeah, that is why we effectively took over the Parc Des Princes, as none of the locals cared for the football, so was a free for all on tickets.

From memory South Africa were playing at the Stade De France day after our game, as I remember me and the wife went to EuroDisney, and by time we got back to our hotel at night, we caught the tail end of the game in the hotel bar.

On 4/11/2023 at 12:55 PM, N4Footsoldier said:

I don't ever want to play at Parc Des Princes again. ;)

On 4/11/2023 at 1:00 PM, wanderer said:

From memory South Africa were playing at the Stade De France day after our game.

Was that against England or maybe England played the day after (on the Friday).

On the Thursday evening I was making my way back to the hotel to collect my bag before going for the Eurostar.

En route I had to pass a mass of England rugby fans sat outside a bar and was obviously expecting a hard time, but each and every one of them stood up and sang Flower of Scotland at me.

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 5:19 PM, saintsparky said:

South Africa v England was day after our game. The SA rugby team were in our hotel, and we bought a few of them lunch in the bar, on the understanding that they stuffed England..

They won 36 - 0...

Yes, I met up with a friend of mine who was over for the England game. I told her to meet under the Eiffel Tower. Took ages to find her. 

Also was chatting to a South African who didn’t seem to think anyone in Scotland actually worked as they were all in Paris. 

Had a great night in a fondue restaurant the night before, with various nations over for the rugby. Was sat next to an Italian lad and his son and an English family. Ended up swapping bits of our meat fondue for their cheese fondue. 

I am heading over to the RWC this year. Trips to Marseilles, Nice, Lille (with the kids). Can’t wait.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

• TAMB2 locked this topic