Duncan Ferguson & Regret... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Duncan Ferguson & Regret...

Rich NATA

36 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Duncan Ferguson was a tremendous player. Look at his goals on Youtube if you’re too young to remember. One of the best EPL strikers when fully fit. Scotland tended to punt it up to him when he played, which was lazy and useless. 

I remember him well and his goals. I was a 90s kid. He was a decent striker or targetman but he was never one of the best strikers(top10) in the epl. He also spent half his career injured. 

He might of made a slight difference to our team but anyone who thinks he would definitely have made a huge difference is letting nostalgia rule their head. 

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Problem was, Brown saw him a lump of a player to stick up front whom allowed Scotland a chance to go Wimbledon style and lump them up to Ferguson to set them up for his strike partner (it was the exact same in the Estonia game later one, his last cap).

Was at a sportsman dinner and Pat Nevin was there, and asked who he felt was the players that never quite made it for Scotland in his opinion, and without skipping a beat came out with "Duncan Ferguson".

Said when he first came into the squad that he thought he was a bit "dim", but given his size and stature, would make a good target man.... Roxbourgh then arranges a bounce game, with instruction "Pat, get them to Duncan's head so he can lay them up for Coisty"... Turned to Ferguson and could see him groan.... 2nd half Ferguson said to Pat "get the ball to me feet", and Pat did this, and said he maybe but 8 or 9 low crosses in and every time he stuck them into the back of the net.

Very next game, Scotland go route one again with him up front....

Tbf most of fergusons goals came from his head. He was also great at knockdowns so i can see the reasoning behind that idea. 

7 hours ago, wanderer said:

Problem was, Brown saw him a lump of a player to stick up front whom allowed Scotland a chance to go Wimbledon style and lump them up to Ferguson to set them up for his strike partner (it was the exact same in the Estonia game later one, his last cap).

Was at a sportsman dinner and Pat Nevin was there, and asked who he felt was the players that never quite made it for Scotland in his opinion, and without skipping a beat came out with "Duncan Ferguson".

Said when he first came into the squad that he thought he was a bit "dim", but given his size and stature, would make a good target man.... Roxbourgh then arranges a bounce game, with instruction "Pat, get them to Duncan's head so he can lay them up for Coisty"... Turned to Ferguson and could see him groan.... 2nd half Ferguson said to Pat "get the ball to me feet", and Pat did this, and said he maybe but 8 or 9 low crosses in and every time he stuck them into the back of the net.

Very next game, Scotland go route one again with him up front....

Sounds about right. 🙄

Jim McLean apparently regarded Ferguson as good enough with the ball at his feet to ask him to play left midfield on occasions.

11 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

His biggest problem when he signed for Rangers was that Hateley had such an effective partnership with McCoist and was pretty much undroppable.  However after paying a record transfer fee (which may still be the record between 2 Scottish clubs?) there was a lot pf pressure on Smith to get Ferguson in the team so he was subsequently squeezed in to a weird outside left forward position.  Unsurprisingly his performances weren't great and goals were rare.  I think if Ferguson had stayed at United another year and moved to Rangers in the 94-95 season he'd have got a lot more game time and gone on to be a Rangers player for many years.

Scott Brown?

16 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I remember him well and his goals. I was a 90s kid. He was a decent striker or targetman but he was never one of the best strikers(top10) in the epl. He also spent half his career injured. 

He might of made a slight difference to our team but anyone who thinks he would definitely have made a huge difference is letting nostalgia rule their head. 

This is delusional. He would have made a huge difference, provided the tactics were right. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

This is delusional. He would have made a huge difference, provided the tactics were right. 

Aye, throughout the years Scotland managers have been right good at that ....

8 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

You seen his goalscoring stats? They are not that great. I even had a look at his assists on transfermarket and its not that impressive either.

He was injured or suspended alot as well. I liked him as a player and he seemed to be real handful for defenders but he wasnt some kind of missing jigsaw piece that completed our team. I think he would of been useful to have at euro 96 but he was injured anyways so theres no point thinking about that.

He may have made a difference against england in 99 but even then thats all ifs and buts, the england team were strong with guys like shearer scholes etc and even had we equalised through ferguson we would have needed another goal or a win on pens. 

Would he have made a difference at world cup 98, maybe although we were terrible as a team against morroco and got humped. He might have helped against norway but even then its all speculation. He wasnt a rivaldo or robben etc. He was probably our version of niall quinn. 

He was a half decent striker but i doubt he made a huge difference to our fortunes during the late 90s and early 00s.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

You seen his goalscoring stats? They are not that great. I even had a look at his assists on transfermarket and its not that impressive either.

He was injured or suspended alot as well. I liked him as a player and he seemed to be real handful for defenders but he wasnt some kind of missing jigsaw piece that completed our team. I think he would of been useful to have at euro 96 but he was injured anyways so theres no point thinking about that.

He may have made a difference against england in 99 but even then thats all ifs and buts, the england team were strong with guys like shearer scholes etc and even had we equalised through ferguson we would have needed another goal or a win on pens. 

Would he have made a difference at world cup 98, maybe although we were terrible as a team against morroco and got humped. He might have helped against norway but even then its all speculation. He wasnt a rivaldo or robben etc. He was probably our version of niall quinn. 

He was a half decent striker but i doubt he made a huge difference to our fortunes during the late 90s and early 00s.

Okay, your opinion. I’ve never heard him called “a half decent striker” before. No disrespect, but he would have been replacing tenth decent in comparison. 

On 2/8/2023 at 9:16 PM, Ally Bongo said:

The problem with big Dunc was that apart from the game against Germany at Ibrox he didn't set the World alight in his 7 caps in 5 years.

A lot of this was down to the refereeing standards at the time. They hated combatant aerial challenges and he was constantly being penalised in the role he was given

Yep, I remember the Estonia game in Monaco (shiver). The ref blew for a foul just about every time he put in a challenge. 

I don't know if it was a case of European refs not accepting a style of play that wasn't seen as a problem in England?

Edited by Toepoke