Elliot Anderson. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Elliot Anderson.

Big Ramy 1314

Has this lad made his mind up yet? Just looked at his career stats and he has played for Scotland under 17s, England under 19s, and Scotland under 21s. Think I remember someone saying he is still on the fence as England apparently are interested. Any truth to this. Seems a good prospect...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Has this lad made his mind up yet? Just looked at his career stats and he has played for Scotland under 17s, England under 19s, and Scotland under 21s. Think I remember someone saying he is still on the fence as England apparently are interested. Any truth to this. Seems a good prospect...

I saw him play for Newcastle in the FA cup against Sheffield Wednesday. Didn’t think he looked that great tbh, which means he will probably end up playing for us. 

He came on for Newcastle against West Ham yesterday and I thought he did okay. He was a standout the last time he played for the U21s and he's made more EPL appearances this season than his clubmate, Ryan Fraser. I'd even consider calling him up for next months qualifiers, especially if our injury woes don't ease, but I can't see Clarke doing that.

As for him being on the fence, that just sounds like someone on here making assumptions, unless they happen to know the boy personally or someone close to him.

8 hours ago, scotlad said:

He came on for Newcastle against West Ham yesterday and I thought he did okay. He was a standout the last time he played for the U21s and he's made more EPL appearances this season than his clubmate, Ryan Fraser. I'd even consider calling him up for next months qualifiers, especially if our injury woes don't ease, but I can't see Clarke doing that.

As for him being on the fence, that just sounds like someone on here making assumptions, unless they happen to know the boy personally or someone close to him.

Cheers for the indo mate..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Was hoping Clarke would have called him up for the Turkey game, but being honest, I watched him in the FA cup game in tv a few weeks back, and he started the first 10 minutes looking very strong, but then just vanished.

I do not think he is showing any form that would get England coming after him, so I think his call off's are probably legit.

Slightly off topic, Newcastle signed Scotland U21 player Harrison Ashby for £3m from West Ham last week.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:11 AM, wanderer said:

Was hoping Clarke would have called him up for the Turkey game, but being honest, I watched him in the FA cup game in tv a few weeks back, and he started the first 10 minutes looking very strong, but then just vanished.

I do not think he is showing any form that would get England coming after him, so I think his call off's are probably legit.

Slightly off topic, Newcastle signed Scotland U21 player Harrison Ashby for £3m from West Ham last week.

Anderson & Ashby share the Scottish granny qualification so it's going to be interesting to see how their careers develop at first team club level first then hopefully quickly followed by a senior call up for 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Ashby probably hasn't played enough first team football yet to be considered for England under 21 selection , Anderson is one were in more immediate danger of losing.

I guess they know each other from previous Scottish under age squads so I'd like to think they both enjoyed the experience & will urge each other on to progress to our senior squad. 🤞

I'd also like to think due to their potential & dual qualification these are the type of lads that Steve Clarke or his Geordie assistant Carver have spoken to just to make them feel wanted & let them know progress to senior level is there for them sooner rather than later if they play first team football.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Anderson & Ashby share the Scottish granny qualification so it's going to be interesting to see how their careers develop at first team club level first then hopefully quickly followed by a senior call up for 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Ashby probably hasn't played enough first team football yet to be considered for England under 21 selection , Anderson is one were in more immediate danger of losing.

I guess they know each other from previous Scottish under age squads so I'd like to think they both enjoyed the experience & will urge each other on to progress to our senior squad. 🤞

I'd also like to think due to their potential & dual qualification these are the type of lads that Steve Clarke or his Geordie assistant Carver have spoken to just to make them feel wanted & let them know progress to senior level is there for them sooner rather than later if they play first team football.

Given Clarke's links to Newcastle (where he was a player and coach), he probably has had some words with both.

With regards to England, even if Walker only has a year or two left in him, they have Alexander-Arnold behind him (who is not that many years older than Ashny) so I would not worry on losing Ashby, but Anderson is probably the more likely to jump ship any time soon (but I doubt he will) as with the exception of Henderson, almost all of England's midfield is not that much older than Anderson, so I doubt he will get much of a look in given he has not fully established himself with Newcastle yet.

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

With regards to England, even if Walker only has a year or two left in him, they have Alexander-Arnold behind him (who is not that many years older than Ashny) so I would not worry.

They've also got Reece James who I would think is nailed on to be their right back for years to come. Tino Livramento is also a cracking player although currently out injured. I notice that Lamptey the young lad at Brighton has now opted for Ghana having previously played for England at u21 level. Maybe he looked at who was ahead of him and didn't fancy his chances.

Hopefully though Ashby will have equal competition for a Scotland jersey from Patterson, Ramsay and Hickey! 

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

They've also got Reece James who I would think is nailed on to be their right back for years to come. Tino Livramento is also a cracking player although currently out injured. I notice that Lamptey the young lad at Brighton has now opted for Ghana having previously played for England at u21 level. Maybe he looked at who was ahead of him and didn't fancy his chances.

Hopefully though Ashby will have equal competition for a Scotland jersey from Patterson, Ramsay and Hickey! 

Yeh potentially competition is also pretty stiff for our right back. If we where so lucky that all 4 of them reached the level required it'll be interesting to see how we get 2 or more in the starting 11.

Hickey moving to left back or better still if he could play a central midfield holding role would help. 

Hopefully it's a headache our management team will have to deal with.

8 hours ago, wanderer said:

Given Clarke's links to Newcastle (where he was a player and coach), he probably has had some words with both.

With regards to England, even if Walker only has a year or two left in him, they have Alexander-Arnold behind him (who is not that many years older than Ashny) so I would not worry on losing Ashby, but Anderson is probably the more likely to jump ship any time soon (but I doubt he will) as with the exception of Henderson, almost all of England's midfield is not that much older than Anderson, so I doubt he will get much of a look in given he has not fully established himself with Newcastle yet.

Hope you're right.

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Never seen him play but can't work out from various posts if he is actually any good. 

I think it's been tough to judge because last season he was playing at a low level that he looked way too good for and this season he mostly comes on for 10 mins here and there and the one start he did have in the FA cup he looked poor (along with the rest of the team so not just him).
Last time I watched him for Scotland U21s he was on the left wing and seemed to have a lot more quality on the ball than some of the other players around him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Notice he is not in the u21 squad for their up coming games.

Either hints of a possible call up to the main squad, or the rumors of a switch back to England in recent days are true (it would be a odd time to do so though, as he is "tied" to us for the U21 Euros this summer, and he turns 21 in November).

22 hours ago, wanderer said:

Either hints of a possible call up to the main squad, or the rumors of a switch back to England in recent days are true (it would be a odd time to do so though, as he is "tied" to us for the U21 Euros this summer, and he turns 21 in November).

Definitely not down.ro a full call-up. Gemmill stating Anderson asked not to be considered for upcoming friendlies and Gemmill told him the door remains open should he have a change of heart.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Definitely not down.ro a full call-up. Gemmill stating Anderson asked not to be considered for upcoming friendlies and Gemmill told him the door remains open should he have a change of heart.

Just get him to f.. k. A change of heart indeed. 

On 3/9/2023 at 12:54 PM, wanderer said:

Do you know what the "cut-off" birth date is for qualifying for next season's U21s?  I mean, if it's in July, say, and he turns 21 four months later would he still be young enough to play for next season's batch?

He might make the senior squad (for us, that is) but on the other hand he hasn't exactly moved mountains for Newcastle this season. A few minutes off the bench for a top six EPL side is arguably more impressive than a few minutes off the bench for a bottom three EPL team, which is what Ryan Christie's club career consists of these days, but Christie has the advantage of international experience.

As for England, he's no chance of getting near their senior team unless he starts playing regularly for Newcastle, and playing well.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Do you know what the "cut-off" birth date is for qualifying for next season's U21s?  I mean, if it's in July, say, and he turns 21 four months later would he still be young enough to play for next season's batch?

He might make the senior squad (for us, that is) but on the other hand he hasn't exactly moved mountains for Newcastle this season. A few minutes off the bench for a top six EPL side is arguably more impressive than a few minutes off the bench for a bottom three EPL team, which is what Ryan Christie's club career consists of these days, but Christie has the advantage of international experience.

As for England, he's no chance of getting near their senior team unless he starts playing regularly for Newcastle, and playing well.

Like you said he has done nothing of note in his few minutes on the pitch this season & reading the Newcastle forum there's a mixed bag of opinions, some think he isn't quick or good enough & should be offloaded, some say he is really strong & technically very good so will make it as a EPL level player but most agree that he isn't ready now & should have been sent to a  championship club on loan rather getting the odd few minutes here & there .

I know it's only fans opinions but going of that he isn't ready to be fast tracked to our senior squad anyway.

If he was honest enough to have contacted Gemmill personally asking not to be considered for these friendlies as he is undecided & also wants to focus on trying to get first team minutes I totally respect that. 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, scotlad said:

Not 100% sure, but I think it is/was if you were born before February of the start of a international year, you were able to play for the cycle of that tournament, that is why Sheaun Maloney was touching 24 when he got his last Scotland U21 cap