Jim Baxter's shirt - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jim Baxter's shirt

Orraloon

To be fair, Jim was notorious for just handing stuff away towards the end of his life, and its no surprise that its being contested.

After he died his son told a story that at one event Jim gave a guy away his 67 shirt, and later when his agent quizzed him on why he gave it away, Jim replied "I have 6 others from the match in a cupboard back home".

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

To be fair, Jim was notorious for just handing stuff away towards the end of his life, and its no surprise that its being contested.

After he died his son told a story that at one event Jim gave a guy away his 67 shirt, and later when his agent quizzed him on why he gave it away, Jim replied "I have 6 others from the match in a cupboard back home".

Aye, it's the kind of thing he would do. He just loved winding folk up, which is the main reason this shirt (well one of them anyway) is as famous in the first place. 😂

He was some character. A flawed character but who isn't?

It's the modern day version of the story of the  Stone of Destiny. 😂

I wouldn't be surprised if the real one just ended up in a bin somewhere.

I am on the fence on this. There are compelling stories for each. The one pulled from auction well why would Alan Hudson and Alan Ball lie? Also the auctioners point out that the Scotland tops then had begun carrying Umbro on label which theirs has but not the other ones claiming to be his. But there again Baxter reportedly said the Chick Young one was the genuine one so who knows?

54 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Theyre as daft as their songs if they think they got the real top for that price

Funnily enough, just hot off the press ….

🎼 Everywhere we goooooo ( everywhere we gooooo) 

People want to knooooow( people want to knooooow) 

Whose got the real shirt( whose got the real shirt) 

Not us says wee Kirk ( not us says wee Kirk) 

He thinks its Chick Young ( he thinks its Chick Young) 

And that we’ve been done ( and that we’ve been done) 

Oh oh oh Scoootland, Scooootland

Meh, I know, I wont give up the day job 🙂

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Funnily enough, just hot off the press ….

🎼 Everywhere we goooooo ( everywhere we gooooo) 

People want to knooooow( people want to knooooow) 

Whose got the real shirt( whose got the real shirt) 

Not us says wee Kirk ( not us says wee Kirk) 

He thinks its Chick Young ( he thinks its Chick Young) 

And that we’ve been done ( and that we’ve been done) 

Oh oh oh Scoootland, Scooootland

Meh, I know, I wont give up the day job 🙂

good effort haha

In the nineties, when I was often invited to so called Sportsmens' dinners through my then employer, I remember going to an Ally McCoist testimonial event where Ian Botham spoke. For auction that night was the shirt that he scored his overhead kick v Hibs at Celtic Park in the final of the League Cup. Went for over 3k if memory serves well.

Not more than six weeks later, I was invited to another McCoist testimonial event.

Guess what was up for auction that night?

57 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

In the nineties, when I was often invited to so called Sportsmens' dinners through my then employer, I remember going to an Ally McCoist testimonial event where Ian Botham spoke. For auction that night was the shirt that he scored his overhead kick v Hibs at Celtic Park in the final of the League Cup. Went for over 3k if memory serves well.

Not more than six weeks later, I was invited to another McCoist testimonial event.

A pair of boxing gloves signed by Muhammad Ali?

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Patsy Kensits knickers?