The Referree / Var thread.. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Referree / Var thread..

https://www.facebook.com/328764714386018/posts/pfbid02dPU4WeW24FXDb1fxCkocD9NQsjjo9oWfccJEDdrJ8ez754cyx8PYY4ZEXJ6rWxpGl/?sfnsn=mo&mibextid=6aamW6

Brand new thread. Anytime, anywhere you want to rant about a referee, a linesman, official or VAR, well here is the section.. I will start... Discuss this... I'm sure you all know my feelings..😁

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Good idea for a thread this, can you promise to keep your ramblings to this thread and the Celtic thread? This way the Season thread might be  better

That is why I created it VA, the others are getting clogged. I will try keep my ramblings to a minimum.. 😊 

The penalty decisions in celtics last 2 cup games has shown how VAR is a waste of time in this country. 

As soon as one of the big two start shouting loud enough in the media, they’ll get the decisions regardless of what has actually happened on the pitch, so what’s the point of it all. 

Incompetent officials will always be incompetent. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

I have a feeling that rather than a Refs/VAR the thread this is likely to end up as a “Decisions Rangers got/Celtic didn’t” thread. 

You have described scottish football not just this thread. DD has summed it up perfectly. VAR was never going to work here because it was always becoming a massive old firm bitch fest

What I have noticed is that’s it’s quite the PR operation these refs seem to have got going for them. For every blunder there’s some cunt popping up to explain why they actually got it right. After the Goldson handball incident in the derby match there were IFAB rule experts all over social media before the final whistle had even blown. Now we have Stuart Dougall defending Collums shit show at Ibrox. Aparrently Nicky Clark caught Jack twice so I think he wants 2 red cards instead of one. 😂

There are no tinfoil hats to be had, the refereeing ‘fraternity’ have got them all 🤔

The standard of refs in Scotland is quite poor. In my mind their is also a bias towards the OF. Not a conscious one in my opinion but a ref will know that a wrong decision against St Mirren will get him a slap on the wrists from his reviewer but a wrong decision against the OF will cause uproar so its natural that thet will be risk averse when doing the OF games.

Not sure how we change this but one thing id like to see is refs being given the opportunity to explain their decisions. Although I also feel that the country isnt mature enough for this to happen. Imagine a ref came out and said he got something wrong. He would be hung out to dry.

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I have a feeling that rather than a Refs/VAR the thread this is likely to end up as a “Decisions Rangers got/Celtic didn’t” thread. 

I don't believe so. Over the past few weeks I have seen Killie vs us denied a clear penalty, Aberdeen vs rangers, St.Johnston vs rangers, and did motherwell have a stonewallwr denied and they were not playing Celtic or rangers. These refs in Scotland are brutal, all over the league. Rangers do benefit more than any other club, that is a fact.. 

The VAR is a joke. Maybe have the VAR officials from another league do the Big games, it's becoming a joke, and it's not just me,it's all over the papers.. Hoe can rangers not have conceded a penalty all season, yet they are the ones involved in most of the controversy... It's a joke man.. The refs and VAR have to be consistent with every call, for every club. It's dead simple...  Just my non Celtic opinion..

58 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I don't believe so. Over the past few weeks I have seen Killie vs us denied a clear penalty, Aberdeen vs rangers, St.Johnston vs rangers, and did motherwell have a stonewallwr denied and they were not playing Celtic or rangers. These refs in Scotland are brutal, all over the league. Rangers do benefit more than any other club, that is a fact.. 

This is the bit that really let’s you down, I appreciate youve already mentioned it, but if you think Rangers are the only they get all the calls, then you’re truly bonkers and I don’t mean that in an offensive way at all. 

Celtic were handed that league cup semi final by the ref and var, then handed a penalty in a rout in the Scottish cup, but that’s most likely because players, staff & media were stirring up a storm over the festivities about how everything goes against them. 

You should sometimes stop and try to watch football from a neutral perspective, then you’ll see how all the other 10 clubs are the ones that have suffered from poor decisions from the last 30 years of my memory anyway. 

Edited by dandydunn

I mean, how dare they not give St Johnstone a penalty for Jack's tackle on Montgomery.

I think what I'd be looking at is how many decisions would Celtic have bebefitted from if it wasn't for VAR.  A fair number of offsides and penalties have been correctly reversed by VAR.  Narrative doesn't suit?

What we need;

1. Consistency 

2. Accountability

3. At the time sound from VAR room and referee for in the moment transparency. 

55 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

The VAR is a joke. Maybe have the VAR officials from another league do the Big games, it's becoming a joke, and it's not just me,it's all over the papers.. Hoe can rangers not have conceded a penalty all season, yet they are the ones involved in most of the controversy... It's a joke man.. The refs and VAR have to be consistent with every call, for every club. It's dead simple...  Just my non Celtic opinion..

Why have refs from different countries do the “big games”?

We all know a bad challenge in an OF game in the first 10 minutes will nearly always go unpunished from a booking, as it’s a “passionate” affair, but the knock on effect from that is what effects other teams. 

Any other team will have an early booking, which accumulate over the course of a season or could lead to red cards and suspensions, but the OF derby seems to be exempt from these rules, which in turn, leads to less suspensions over the season. 

1 minute ago, Debian said:

I mean, how dare they not give St Johnstone a penalty for Jack's tackle on Montgomery.

I think what I'd be looking at is how many decisions would Celtic have bebefitted from if it wasn't for VAR.  A fair number of offsides and penalties have been correctly reversed by VAR.  Narrative doesn't suit?

What we need;

1. Consistency 

2. Accountability

3. At the time sound from VAR room and referee for in the moment transparency. 

1: 👍🏽

2: 👍🏽

3: 👍🏽

It just won’t happen though. 

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

This is the bit that really let’s you down, I appreciate youve already mentioned it, but if you think Rangers are the only they get all the calls, then you’re truly bonkers and I don’t mean that in an offensive way at all. 

Celtic were handed that league cup semi final by the ref and var, then handed a penalty in a rout in the Scottish cup, but that’s most likely because players, staff & media were stirring up a storm over the festivities about how everything goes against them. 

You should sometimes stop and try to watch football from a neutral perspective, then you’ll see how all the other 10 clubs are the ones that have suffered from poor decisions from the last 30 years of my memory anyway. 

DD, my first line was Killie were denied a stonewaller against us !! Everyone is affected, bur rangers do get more breaks than any other club in Scotland. The stats prove that.. I'm not saying we have not been lucky, I am a fair person here..

4 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Why have refs from different countries do the “big games”?

We all know a bad challenge in an OF game in the first 10 minutes will nearly always go unpunished from a booking, as it’s a “passionate” affair, but the knock on effect from that is what effects other teams. 

Any other team will have an early booking, which accumulate over the course of a season or could lead to red cards and suspensions, but the OF derby seems to be exempt from these rules, which in turn, leads to less suspensions over the season. 

Collum and Brother Beaton should never ref another Celtic v rangers match again.. Just my opinion. Bring in a neutral for these matches. There is alot at stake. You win the league, big money from the Champions League guaranteed... I do not want to turn this into a Celtic v Rangers thread, not my intention so I will respect all opinions.. I am correct though on all of mine mind you.. 🙂

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Collum and Brother Beaton should never ref another Celtic v rangers match again.. Just my opinion. Bring in a neutral for these matches. There is alot at stake. You win the league, big money from the Champions League guaranteed... I do not want to turn this into a Celtic v Rangers thread, not my intention so I will respect all opinions.. I am correct though on all of mine mind you.. 🙂

That’s what I mean, Aberdeen v Hearts (should) be a huge match for us both in terms of finishing 3rd or heaven forbid 2nd, likewise Killie, Utd, Motherwell,  Ross County will be massive 6 pointers to avoid relegation, why should these be refereed differently from an OF game where a decent ref is allowed to take it? These are the breaks I’m talking about, there’s more than two teams in the league. 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

That’s what I mean, Aberdeen v Hearts (should) be a huge match for us both in terms of finishing 3rd or heaven forbid 2nd, likewise Killie, Utd, Motherwell,  Ross County will be massive 6 pointers to avoid relegation, why should these be refereed differently from an OF game where a decent ref is allowed to take it? These are the breaks I’m talking about, there’s more than two teams in the league. 

Fair play...👍

Hearts play the rangers at home tmo. Colum or Beaton ref this match, Hearts are just better off not showing up. Celtic will win the league, but if the Rangers lose tomorrow, it's over surely, and the powers that be know this.. As I said, I am going to work on being more respectful on this board, life is too short. So this is only my opinion, and I am free with anyone not agreeing with it. Every club in Scotland want equal and honest refs, unfortunately it's not happening, unless your from Govan of course...