Goodwin gone, What now for Aberdeen? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goodwin gone, What now for Aberdeen?

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Is Mackay out the question? I know he comes with considerable baggage but from the football point of view would he be okay? He did well in England with Watford and Cardiff and has done reasonably with Ross County. 

Ross County are 2nd from bottom, currently locked in a dog fight 4 or 5 other clubs. He's not exactly punching above his weight with them

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Ross County are 2nd from bottom, currently locked in a dog fight 4 or 5 other clubs. He's not exactly punching above his weight with them

Ross County finished above expectations last season and probably have the lowest budget in the league so having a chance of avoiding relegation would probably be seen as punching above their weight.

That being said I dont think Malky would be a good choice. He offers nothing different and I cant see the Aberdeen fans being happy.

From the outside it appears that most Dons fans want either somebody from abroad or somebody with abit of experience in England but maybe looking to kick start their career again (ie Wilder)

17 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ross County finished above expectations last season and probably have the lowest budget in the league so having a chance of avoiding relegation would probably be seen as punching above their weight.

That being said I dont think Malky would be a good choice. He offers nothing different and I cant see the Aberdeen fans being happy.

From the outside it appears that most Dons fans want either somebody from abroad or somebody with abit of experience in England but maybe looking to kick start their career again (ie Wilder)

I think it is time for Cormack to hold his breath and see out the season.  Give him and board to try and get someone in and not the old Scottish merry go round.  I would love to see Aberdeen or any other get nearer to the OF and challenging again.

9 hours ago, SamP said:

I think it is time for Cormack to hold his breath and see out the season.  Give him and board to try and get someone in and not the old Scottish merry go round.  I would love to see Aberdeen or any other get nearer to the OF and challenging again.

I would love to see someone get nearer to the OF and I support one of them!

On 1/31/2023 at 12:45 PM, Diamond Scot said:

I’m pretty sure Roy McGregor has invested quite heavily in the player budget in the past. They were certainly spending mid table money if not top 6, it’s the main reason Ming the merciless got the tin tack. Unless he has scaled it back County are underperforming this season.

Aberdeen certainly shouldn’t be going in for McKay. As @dandydunnhas said they need to get off the Scottish managerial merry go round and show some imagination this time.

Who knows? Lots of guys like Stephen Robinson are so up and down with their level of success - hopefully someone who can be consistent for a few years, someone so good that we end up losing him higher up the food chain in 3 or 4 years. 

Can't see anyone with any real ambition coming to any of the 40 diddy clubs unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Seems that Wilder has decided it’s not for him. 

It wa always a long shot, at least the club tried.

This quote from the Scottish sun 😂😂. There's zero pressure to deliver a manager for the next match, it's a match every aberdeen fan has already written off😂

Dons chairman Dave Cormack - - is under real pressure to deliver a new manager before the club's next game against Celtic in Glasgow on February 18.”

7 hours ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

I’d be pleased with that. Talk of martindale on the radio last weekend gave me the fear

Every manager is going to be a gamble, unfortunately aberdeen aren't in the market for managers with great records. They will always have chequered records. 

One prerequisite should be a manager who doesn't get excited at an away OF fixtures just because he played or supports them

3 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Alan Burrows joining Aberdeen as Chief Exec after leaving Motherwell. Didn’t see that coming. 

Extraordinary. Not sure what qualifications you need to be a Chief Executive. He is a die hard Well fan but not sure how else he qualified for the job, not that I'm saying it's an easy gig. Oh and he's best of buddies with Mark McGhee. A return for Dons legend perhaps 😄

14 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Extraordinary. Not sure what qualifications you need to be a Chief Executive. He is a die hard Well fan but not sure how else he qualified for the job, not that I'm saying it's an easy gig. Oh and he's best of buddies with Mark McGhee. A return for Dons legend perhaps 😄

I'm not sure in what capacity but he worked at Fir Park for 5 years before getting their CEO gig so would assume he'd gained the relevant experience in that time as opposed to just getting the gig because Stevie Kirk is his favourite player!

Just now, Fairbairn said:

I'm not sure in what capacity but he worked at Fir Park for 5 years before getting their CEO gig so would assume he'd gained the relevant experience in that time as opposed to just getting the gig because Stevie Kirk is his favourite player!

Think he did some photography/articles on the club. First I heard of him was when Mark McGhee took him to do this on a pre season tour of Austria. Motherwell are in an absolute mess at the moment. When you move on in a job like this surely you should be leaving your previous job in an improved state of affairs. We've went back years and heading for relegation. There is unrest among the fans and it's not just about what is happening on the pitch. The old pals act appointments at Fir Park are a joke.

3 hours ago, Och Aye said:

McGhees probably that delusional he thinks he could be Aberdeen's saviour second time around, he also probably thinks the fans would welcome him back wi open arms instead of stoning the imbecile on first sight.  

So just to clarify. Motherwell are a shambles on the pitch. Unrest in the dressing room. Managerial appointments have been awful (Stephen Robinson exception and that wasn't a straight appointment). Financial results terrible. Club/fan relationship at a real low and becoming toxic. Then someone at Aberdeen thinks we fancy a piece of this, lets get their CEO. 

As much as I'm despairing about Motherwell Dons fans must thinking - Whit the fu#k

Edited by Och Aye

Now that Wilder is ruled out, any thoughts on the new Head Shepherd?

I noticed no one responded to @morrie21suggestion of Vahid Halilhodzic. I don’t see anyone throwing any new names at it. Dwight Yorke would be ridiculous but a good laugh at least 😎

Edited by slasher

7 hours ago, slasher said:

Now that Wilder is ruled out, any thoughts on the new Head Shepherd?

I noticed no one responded to @morrie21suggestion of Vahid Halilhodzic. I don’t see anyone throwing any new names at it. Dwight Yorke would be ridiculous but a good laugh at least 😎

To be fair to the board, I doubt anyone knows of him - and that's not a dig at anyone's football knowledge. I only became aware of him just before the World Cup. Pre-tournament research into Morocco. I discovered Halilhodzic was the man who qualified them but then was bulleted after a serious falling out with the Federation. Did some research on him with a view to a separate article on the man and he has quite the chequered history. Still haven't gotten around to the article ha.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2023 at 12:41 AM, JECK said:

Get what right this time? Unless there is significant investment in the playing squad, coaching, and management position it will be the same old scenario playing out repeatedly, change of manger after 6 months to a year or 2 etc. That’s the reality for non old firm clubs. And before anyone says it, it won’t last at hearts with Robbie Neilson

Your welcome

• 3 weeks later...