Goodwin gone, What now for Aberdeen? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Goodwin gone, What now for Aberdeen?

Lennon and Lambert being mentioned, would they want the job?

Not many names spring to mind tbh. 

Never have I seen Aberdeen in the mess they are in now, easy to blame the manager but the players are every bit as bad. 

Whoever comes in they need to get it right this time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete clear out from top to bottom of executive staff. 

Steven Gunn & Cormack are responsible for this and it isn’t working. 

Cormack won’t walk, but Gunn has to. 

We need a fresh face that has no connection to the club to press the reset button and start again. 

The players need a word with themselves too, this has been the most unprofessional last 10 days or so that I’ve ever seen and it fucking hurts. 

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Complete clear out from top to bottom of executive staff. 

Steven Gunn & Cormack are responsible for this and it isn’t working. 

Cormack won’t walk, but Gunn has to. 

We need a fresh face that has no connection to the club to press the reset button and start again. 

The players need a word with themselves too, this has been the most unprofessional last 10 days or so that I’ve ever seen and it fucking hurts. 

The ‘hurt’ almost jumps off the page Dd.

The next appointment is vital. Any thoughts on what direction they should go in next?

Cormack has been a disaster for Aberdeen and Scottish Football. I haven't forgotten his comments on the ridiculous Sky TV renewal deal. While the rest of World football switches to streaming every game. We'll be left in the past because of him:

"The simple answer is no. Because it would cannibalise season ticket sales, gate income, hospitality and retail sales, never mind dramatically impacting on the atmosphere at our games."

The opposite is true in Sweden, the fans attend in big numbers because they see the players and are inspired to watch their local idols. That gives people in the community and sense of pride of worth.

I am not an Aberdeen fan but I have watched the team play at Pittodrie this season in the home end in the city for the weekend.

That day they beat Hibs 4-1. The city bars were full, the Pittodrie bar. I had a chippy, I had a Pittodrie pie. I couldn't help but smile as I walked along from the city centre to Pittodrie through the terrace housing estate, with the floodlights lighting the way. The stadium - Spirit, Soul, Tradition was beautiful. They knew I was an outsider when I asked for a Scotch Pie - "Don't ye know it's a Pittodrie Pie in here!" 4-1 Aberdeen. The fans had taken over the stand behind the goal. Non stop singing, and the Hibs fans were much the same.

Cormack wants to shift the plans for Pittodrie possibly to Kingsford. The local businesses can not let that happen.

Rail seating at Pittodrie, renovate it. Let the young team bring the atmosphere. it's what the fans want. They've got their new training ground. They have the foundations.

As for Jim Goodwin - nice guy, sorry to see he's lost the job speaks really well. Was newly qualified as a manager at St Mirren with limited experience.

January has came and gone and it's too late. These players are demoralised 1-0 to Darvel, 6-0 Hibernian.

Who could manage this team - Johnny Hayes, can he coach and motivate his team mates interim?

Neil Lennon - out of work, still has an abundance of experience could he work with Hayes on a temporary basis? I'd give it to Lenny. 

Hail Hail!

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

I think there's a lack of quality Scottish football managers at the moment.

A lot of former managers been out the game way too long. Strachan, he's 65. Retirement age. I think it's too late for him to make a comeback. I highly doubt he'd want to manage and coach football team again. As much as I'd like to see it for his personality. I liked Strachan he was funny. 

Maybe they could give it to the Scotland ladies coach Shelly Kerr. A comforting female voice. You never know! That could be a complete first. You just never know!

*Edit, some Spanish guy is actually the Scotland ladies coach now. For goodness sake. 

Edited by Tartan_Tonna

5 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Lennon and Lambert being mentioned, would they want the job?

Not many names spring to mind tbh. 

Never have I seen Aberdeen in the mess they are in now, easy to blame the manager but the players are every bit as bad. 

Whoever comes in they need to get it right this time.

Get what right this time? Unless there is significant investment in the playing squad, coaching, and management position it will be the same old scenario playing out repeatedly, change of manger after 6 months to a year or 2 etc. That’s the reality for non old firm clubs. And before anyone says it, it won’t last at hearts with Robbie Neilson

5 hours ago, JECK said:

Get what right this time? Unless there is significant investment in the playing squad, coaching, and management position it will be the same old scenario playing out repeatedly, change of manger after 6 months to a year or 2 etc. That’s the reality for non old firm clubs. And before anyone says it, it won’t last at hearts with Robbie Neilson

Get the right manager, someone who is going to last more than han a season, and for the record before Aberdeen had Glass and then Goodwin, I think McIness was manager for around 8 years or so. 

15 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Get the right manager, someone who is going to last more than han a season, and for the record before Aberdeen had Glass and then Goodwin, I think McIness was manager for around 8 years or so. 

Who even mentioned Robbie Neilson?🤔

12 hours ago, slasher said:

The ‘hurt’ almost jumps off the page Dd.

The next appointment is vital. Any thoughts on what direction they should go in next?

I personally think it should be someone with no connection to Scottish football and isn’t afraid of the natural order, someone that will go to the OF not with a mindset of “if we get a point, that’ll do” but most importantly, has the balls to tell the board, it’s my way we’re doing this, not yours. 

Vahid Halilhodzic would tick the boxes of having no connection to Scottish football and not giving a flying you know what about directors or big name opponents. He might be too combustible though ha ha. Not even sure if he is looking for work right now, but there's my wild suggestion.

Could Martindale do it at a bigger club? runs the show from top to bottom at Livingston, so not sure if that would work anywhere else. He knows how to set up a team and his game management is excellent, imposters on the park wouldn’t last too long either. Surely someone will take a punt on him at some point, I doubt his past counts against him as others have been employed by doing far worse (or not according to the law)

Not on the wind up here but I’d go for Big Sam. Pal of Fergie’s who’ll tell him what a big club it is and what the support is like. Unlikely to get another job in England but seriously think he might take it. Try to prove himself once more, bit of a swansong.