Venue - Spain v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Venue

Judith

Any news, gossip, rumours as to where this is likely to be played or when a decision will be made?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spain Cyprus match too...

"The Spanish men’s soccer team will play their matches against Cyprus and Georgia in the 2024 Euro Cup qualifying phase at Los Campos de Sport de El Sardinero in Santander and the José Zorrilla Stadium in Valladolid, as confirmed on Tuesday by the president of the RFEF , Luis Rubiales."

Malaga, Santander and Valladolid are now off our list then.

Just read that, but they've played loads of matches in Seville in the past couple of years. Mildly irritated that they mention the out of town athletics stadium and not the Betis or Sevilla football stadiums 😞

With the Spanish FA having already chosen one stadium in the south (Malaga) and two in the north (Santander and Valladolid) I was expecting somewhere in the east (Valencia) or south-east (Alicante, Elche, Murcia) or the Gran Canaria option of course.

3 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Just read that, but they've played loads of matches in Seville in the past couple of years. Mildly irritated that they mention the out of town athletics stadium and not the Betis or Sevilla football stadiums 😞

With the Spanish FA having already chosen one stadium in the south (Malaga) and two in the north (Santander and Valladolid) I was expecting somewhere in the east (Valencia) or south-east (Alicante, Elche, Murcia) or the Gran Canaria option of course.

I'm surprised they've not annouced where the Scotland game is being held, given they've announced the venue for the Georgia and Cyprus matches. Perhaps they know it will be held in Seville, but haven't confirmed which stadium it is.

I was half expecting Madrid, possibly the Atletico stadium, given they've not played a full capacity game in the city since 2019. Maybe they don't think they could sell ~70k tickets in Madrid for a game against Scotland, but could sell ~60k in Seville?

The lack of international matches in Madrid in recent times is very strange; so too the lack of international matches at the new Atletico stadium, which has a UEFA 4 star rating.

Re. ticket sales, we could help with that! 10-15 thousand? The vast Plaza del Sol would be quite a sight.

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Record reporting that its most likely Seville based on elimination on what Spanish FA have been saying about games in Andalusia

Yeah , they seem to have said previously that two of the four games would be in Andalusia , with the game in Malaga v Norway that would suggest us in the south too . They've played in Cadiz , Granada and Almeria though so it doesn't have to be Seville 

11 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

Yeah , they seem to have said previously that two of the four games would be in Andalusia , with the game in Malaga v Norway that would suggest us in the south too . They've played in Cadiz , Granada and Almeria though so it doesn't have to be Seville 

All too small probably..less than £25k. They have only played North Macedonia and San Marino at these places..minimal away fans. 

Flights to Seville now getting very expensive!!!!

2 hours ago, saintsparky said:

All too small probably..less than £25k. They have only played North Macedonia and San Marino at these places..minimal away fans. 

Taking a bit of a gamble booking flights just now. 

Cadiz looks a cracking ground; wouldn't be good for our allocation, mind.

I don't know if the host nation would co-operate on this or not, but is it possible the Spanish FA are delaying the venue announcement at the request of the SFA, whilst the SFA negotiate our friendly match? Better for us to announce both matches at the same time is my thinking. 

4 hours ago, saintsparky said:

They probably aren't too bothered about our allocation , Alicante wasn't a big ground either 

5 hours ago, saintsparky said:

Can't imagine Malaga will be cheap either if it turns out to be in the east of Andalusia

7 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Cadiz looks a cracking ground; wouldn't be good for our allocation, mind.

I don't know if the host nation would co-operate on this or not, but is it possible the Spanish FA are delaying the venue announcement at the request of the SFA, whilst the SFA negotiate our friendly match? Better for us to announce both matches at the same time is my thinking. 

What friendly match is that? 

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Hadn't heard about that.

Seemingly we won't get all our TV money if we don't utilise all of our fixture dates. I think there are 10 dates in total and so far, we have the 8 qualifiers + the England match.

So, one more match required and the only gap is in the days after Spain away. Probably the Sunday. Maybe the Monday or Tuesday.

Strange that the Spanish have announced the stadium for a match a month after our match, but not announced the stadium for our match..

I just wonder if the SFA have asked the Spanish to wait until the friendly is confirmed; in order to help our fans with our travel arrangements. I mean, we might be needing to get from Spain to Bulgaria (or such like).

28 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Seemingly we won't get all our TV money if we don't utilise all of our fixture dates. I think there are 10 dates in total and so far, we have the 8 qualifiers + the England match.

So, one more match required and the only gap is in the days after Spain away. Probably the Sunday. Maybe the Monday or Tuesday.

Strange that the Spanish have announced the stadium for a match a month after our match, but not announced the stadium for our match..

I just wonder if the SFA have asked the Spanish to wait until the friendly is confirmed; in order to help our fans with our travel arrangements. I mean, we might be needing to get from Spain to Bulgaria (or such like).

It would be most unlike them 😆