Matchday Experience - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matchday Experience

af12345

Just thinking about matchday experience and ways to overall improve fans' experience at Hampden (aside from transport/results!) Anyone have any thoughts about ways this could improve? If there was a fanzone or events pre match at Hampden/nearby do you think there would be interest?

‘Match day experience’ …… sorry, but I’m way too old fashioned. The match day experience I crave revolves around results and, to a much lesser extent, ease of transport.

Each to their own, but not for me a fanzone or a ‘events’. Keep it natural mr sfa. All credit for trying but a buoyant team giving their all is that is needed….. in my opinion 😀

Edited by ger intae them
Spelling

26 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

‘Match day experience’ …… sorry, but I’m way too old fashioned. The match day experience I crave revolves around results and, to a much lesser extent, ease of transport.

Each to their own, but not for me a fanzone or a ‘events’. Keep it natural mr sfa. All credit for trying but a buoyant team giving their all is that is needed….. in my opinion 😀

I'm with you on that one ..100%.Team gives their all and hopefully gets some good results.That is all that should be needed .I don't even like that f..king announcer playing songs when we score....just like they do in the good old usa.Nobody needs to tell me when to react or how during the game.

In terms of before the game and at half time, they need to keep it different. 

Part of the issues in recent years is that they do the same thing over and over. Things like penalty kicks etc. Who is that aimed at?

I imagine most old timers couldnt care less what goes on but in terms of attracting and keeping new fans, things like a live band at half time, some other kind of acts etc. Went ti ice hockey in America and at intervals they had games that were played on peoples phones and you competing against the rest of the stadium for prizes. Games were really simple but addictive.  Things like that could keep things fresh.

They tried "fan zones" for a few games, and while the first couple were enjoyable, they went down hill rather fast.

As we have a few weekend games this year, that makes it easier for them to do something to encourage people to get along early.

13 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

In terms of before the game and at half time, they need to keep it different. 

Part of the issues in recent years is that they do the same thing over and over. Things like penalty kicks etc. Who is that aimed at?

I imagine most old timers couldnt care less what goes on but in terms of attracting and keeping new fans, things like a live band at half time, some other kind of acts etc. Went ti ice hockey in America and at intervals they had games that were played on peoples phones and you competing against the rest of the stadium for prizes. Games were really simple but addictive.  Things like that could keep things fresh.

Play games on phones... FOR F..KS sake. The gentrification of football knows no bounds. Go and watch the game and get behind the team. At half time have a chat with the mates and then repeat in the second half. That is the definition of going to a fitba match. It's simple. What is there to keep fresh?. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Play games on phones... FOR F..KS sake. The gentrification of football knows no bounds. Go and watch the game and get behind the team. At half time have a chat with the mates and then repeat in the second half. That is the definition of going to a fitba match. It's simple. What is there to keep fresh?. 

One mans gentrification is another mans evolution.

Me personally, im not bothered by entertainment as im there to see the football and like you say will just chat with my mates at half time. However im already a fan who goes to games regardless.

The problem with what you say is that it fails to recognise that football now requires to compete with so many other things to get new fans through the door. Like it or not, younger peoples lives are far different from what it was like back in the day. Phones and technology play a huge role. Attention spans are less.

Im just sharing my experience of going to an NHL match. The phone games at breaks were really fun, got the fans involved and was something abit different. Kept things interesting, especially as im not a huge ice hockey fan. Wheres the harm?

The fact that the next 5 games are sold out, should give them a wee clue as to what needs to be done to keep the fans coming in. Play some half decent football. It doesn't even need to be brilliant football, "half decent" so far has been good enough to get the stadium full.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

The fact that the next 5 games are sold out, should give them a wee clue as to what needs to be done to keep the fans coming in. Play some half decent football. It doesn't even need to be brilliant football, "half decent" so far has been good enough to get the stadium full.

Well said that man. Sums it up perfectly. The fact that all the games will be sold out shows that performing on the park is what matters not all that off the park shit. Do the business on the park and the fans want to go(including plenty of young fans who might just want to experience a real old school fitba experience of a day out at Hampden). 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Well said that man. Sums it up perfectly. The fact that all the games will be sold out shows that performing on the park is what matters not all that off the park shit. Do the business on the park and the fans want to go(including plenty of young fans who might just want to experience a real old school fitba experience of a day out at Hampden). 

So by the same token does that mean that fans think theres nothing wrong with hampden as a stadium?

Fans must love it because all the games have sold out. Sight lines and facilities dont matter as long as the team are winning.

Should we not care about the food for sale as thats secondary to the football etc.

Its possible to improve a product even when things are going well because that way hopefully it stands you in better sted when things arent going as well.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

So by the same token does that mean that fans think theres nothing wrong with hampden as a stadium?

Fans must love it because all the games have sold out. Sight lines and facilities dont matter as long as the team are winning.

Should we not care about the food for sale as thats secondary to the football etc.

Its possible to improve a product even when things are going well because that way hopefully it stands you in better sted when things arent going as well.

No,but what it does say is as long as the team is playing well the rest is obviously secondary to the supporters as all the games will sell out.Old school...but there you are.

14 minutes ago, thesaint said:

No,but what it does say is as long as the team is playing well the rest is obviously secondary to the supporters as all the games will sell out.Old school...but there you are.

I dont think anybody was suggesting that it wasnt secondary.

Everybody likes a winning team. It papers over most other cracks.

The original question was how the overall matchday experience could be improved.

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The original question was how the overall matchday experience could be improved.

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Spent many years following my local team and Scotland all over the world and can honestly say i have enjoyed watching football at Arbroath.Montrose ,Stenhousemuir etc just as much as i have watching it at Wembley,Saint Denis ,Genoa etc.The stadiums that i watched them in had no real relevance to my enjoyment of the games.Sure plenty disagree but it's all about the football for me.I enjoy it no matter what stadium it's in.

15 hours ago, thesaint said:

Spent many years following my local team and Scotland all over the world and can honestly say i have enjoyed watching football at Arbroath.Montrose ,Stenhousemuir etc just as much as i have watching it at Wembley,Saint Denis ,Genoa etc.The stadiums that i watched them in had no real relevance to my enjoyment of the games.Sure plenty disagree but it's all about the football for me.I enjoy it no matter what stadium it's in.

The only stadium that has ever had a direct effect on my enjoyment of a game was the Darius Girenas Stadium in Kaunas. On my first visit (0-1 dodgy penalty loss) I was on the top level so blissfully ignorant, but on my second visit (2-1 victory) I was underneath the top level. Never before (or since) have I seen a predominantly concrete structure noticeably move and crumble before my eyes and more importantly above my head!! I have to say that it redirected my concentration for large parts of the game. Fortunately I had drank a sufficient amount of bravery during the day for it not to spoil my enjoyment too much. Pretty sure Tdyer63 and Jersey Jim were with on this occasion and could testify.

25 minutes ago, Marky said:

The only stadium that has ever had a direct effect on my enjoyment of a game was the Darius Girenas Stadium in Kaunas. On my first visit (0-1 dodgy penalty loss) I was on the top level so blissfully ignorant, but on my second visit (2-1 victory) I was underneath the top level. Never before (or since) have I seen a predominantly concrete structure noticeably move and crumble before my eyes and more importantly above my head!! I have to say that it redirected my concentration for large parts of the game. Fortunately I had drank a sufficient amount of bravery during the day for it not to spoil my enjoyment too much. Pretty sure Tdyer63 and Jersey Jim were with on this occasion and could testify.

Aye, I can testify. It was probably the pressure of the weight inflicted on the concrete from your first visit that caused the problems on your second. 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Aye, I can testify. It was probably the pressure of the weight inflicted on the concrete from your first visit that caused the problems on your second. 

As Jersey Jim would say……I resemble that remark!! 🤣

On 1/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Personally I would like the big screen clock to keep going after the 90 minutes. 

Wouldn't mind seeing some first half highlights at half time either on the screen. Even replays during the game if that's allowed. 

It used to happen.   I remember the ref delaying the goal kick while he watched Chris Iwelumo's miss.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, Marky said:

both times in Dortmund I swear the concrete stands were moving due to the "bounce"