This board needs Folk music.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This board needs Folk music..

Just like the other music thread. Thought I would start one for Folk music. I love it, it's my favorite genre. Hopefully here some more great Scottish, Irish, whatever, folk music. Capercaillie have been my favorite band for nearly 30 years. Karen Matheson is a truly gifted musician. Thought I'd start with a wee compilation.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Seen them twice pal. They are from the same place in Cape Breton as my wife. Brilliant band...

A friend Molly from Toronto introduced them to me about 20 years ago with that particular song

Tragedy with losing John Morris and then Raylene

John Morris's daughter is Molly Rankin lead singer of Alvvays band who's latest album Blue Rev is amazeballs 

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

A friend Molly from Toronto introduced them to me about 20 years ago with that particular song

Tragedy with losing John Morris and then Raylene

John Morris's daughter is Molly Rankin lead singer of Alvvays band who's latest album Blue Rev is amazeballs 

Cheers mate. Going to search them up.. Yes, sad about Raylene and John.

3 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Have you heard of the Barra McNeils? Another crackin Canadian folk band. Very similar to The Rankin Family

Well since they’re from Cape Breton and are the descendants of emigrants from Barra as are the Rankins, you’d kind of expect it.

I first became aware of the Rankin Family when they were on the Hogmanay show with Jackie Bird and Phil and Ally in 1992.

Here you go

For those interested, BBC4 started repeating both Wayfaring Stranger and Transatlantic Sessions on Friday nights last week.  Wayfaring Stranger is a three part documentary series presented by Phil Cunningham who looks at the migration of Scots to Ulster and onto the USA and how the music followed on.  It’s on tonight at 9-30, you should be able to get it on the iPlayer as well.

41 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Get into a bit of North Sea Gas haha, loved them when I was a wean.

Will certainly keep an eye on this thread

So I checked out North Sea gas, who are not bad, and ended up stumbling onto these lads.. Quality.. Never heard of then before. THis thread is turning out exactly the way I had hoped. There must be 100s Scottish folk bands I've never heard of out there..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳

58 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

So I checked out North Sea gas, who are not bad, and ended up stumbling onto these lads.. Quality.. Never heard of then before. THis thread is turning out exactly the way I had hoped. There must be 100s Scottish folk bands I've never heard of out there..🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳

North sea gas have been about for at least 25 year maybe 30, more old school scottish  folk music mostly.

Skippinish are quite famous