Alex Lowry - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex Lowry

Diamond Scot

29 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

I was going to say something similar.

The amount of times players are brought in from abroad or down south and they’re given chance after chance after chance to play into form whereas an academy player who has brilliant potential is bombed the minute they make a couple of mistakes.

And in the case of Lowry, I’ve heard his attitude is the issue….. so they bring in Cantwell (who couldn’t get a regular game for a piss poor Norwich side in the EPL) who also has previous for having a terrible attitude.

Lowry may very well have a poor attitude or it could just be internet rumour however it hardly helps when you get your first start for the 1st team and get motm, then come on as a sub after 8 mins (Hagi getting injured) in a league game and get motm and them basically are hardly seen again. (Although he did pick up a small injury laterly)

However when it gets to the summer and you see Arfield and Davis contract renewed aswell as the anticipated Kamara sale not happening is it any wonder he might become abit disillusioned.

You would've thought it would make sense for Rangers to bring on some younger players when they're cruising to 3-0 wins. Unless he can get some regular minutes before the end of the season - which seems unlikely - then he'll need to go somewhere where he will play regularly next season.

On 2/9/2023 at 9:27 PM, Malcolm said:

Lowry should fight for his place.  If hes good enough he will get a game.

if he cant cut it at rangers then not good enough

I think we will see tomorrow against Partick Thistle, mid table championship, and at home, exactly what Rangers think of developing their own youth.

They could and should start McCrorie, King, Devine, Lowry & Ure mixed in with half a dozen of their main players and comfortably win the tie.

In reality they may start none of them.

22 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I think we will see tomorrow against Partick Thistle, mid table championship, and at home, exactly what Rangers think of developing their own youth.

They could and should start McCrorie, King, Devine, Lowry & Ure mixed in with half a dozen of their main players and comfortably win the tie.

In reality they may start none of them.

thepriority is winning an important cup tie, so put out the best team to do that.  Play the best players.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

thepriority is winning an important cup tie, so put out the best team to do that.  Play the best players.

You know it's possible to play your best players whilst also blooding youngsters? The issue with Rangers the last few years is that they are subbing on guys in their mid to late 30s. If youths don't get significant minutes they can't prove they are good enough.

GVB, to his credit, gave youth far more opportunities than Gerrard did. Beale has not shown his colours yet.

Celtic are as bad as Rangers these days. Lowry wouldn't get a look in there either. Ben Doak was probably the only one that might have forced his way in this year. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

You know it's possible to play your best players whilst also blooding youngsters? The issue with Rangers the last few years is that they are subbing on guys in their mid to late 30s. If youths don't get significant minutes they can't prove they are good enough.

GVB, to his credit, gave youth far more opportunities than Gerrard did. Beale has not shown his colours yet.

Celtic are as bad as Rangers these days. Lowry wouldn't get a look in there either. Ben Doak was probably the only one that might have forced his way in this year. 

Difference between Celtic and rangers is a lot of the Celtic subs are pretty young and need to be gradually placed in the squad. Turnbull is an example of this. 

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Difference between Celtic and rangers is a lot of the Celtic subs are pretty young and need to be gradually placed in the squad. Turnbull is an example of this. 

That's true, but most of those youngsters aren't Scottish. Turnbull and Ralston are both still relatively young and may go on to be regular starters, as they were in the past. (Fingers crossed) But there aren't really any others on the periphery. Guys like Abada, Oh, O'Riley, Kobayashi and Jota are the same age or younger and are being nurtured at the same time.

There is basically no chance of any youths making it at Celtic for the foreseeable. 

Back to Rangers, they don't have as strong a squad as Celtic, so you'd think the likes of Lowry would be getting far more game time.

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If anything its Rangers who have been giving more youngsters opportunities recently, teenagers King, Lowry & Devine where regular bench warmers & occasional starters. If they have slipped slightly down the pecking order it's either down to January signings or they aren't ready or good enough. I fear I to might be the latter in King's case.

Sorry I can't see where the Celtic youngsters are. The only regular Scottish bench warmers are Turnbull & Ralston who are 23 & 24 respectably & both have plenty spl experience. If they aren't started more regularly by their age it's unlikely they ever will be. Turnbull might still have a chance but very talented though he is doesn't seem to have kicked on from what was as highly promising early career.

10 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

If anything its Rangers who have been giving more youngsters opportunities recently, teenagers King, Lowry & Devine where regular bench warmers & occasional starters. If they have slipped slightly down the pecking order it's either down to January signings or they aren't ready or good enough. I fear I to might be the latter in King's case.

Sorry I can't see where the Celtic youngsters are. The only regular Scottish bench warmers are Turnbull & Ralston who are 23 & 24 respectably & both have plenty spl experience. If they aren't started more regularly by their age it's unlikely they ever will be. Turnbull might still have a chance but very talented though he is doesn't seem to have kicked on from what was as highly promising early career.

Would've helped his cause if he was called Turnbullio though!

14 hours ago, todd said:

Like a previous poster intimated, the amount of dead weight foreigners who get chance after chance after chance to 'come good' compared to a young Scot who gets one chance and if he isn't Lionel Messi he's out!  Nips my arse 

This is basically it. And it's not just the management, fans are all too ready to discard Scots that don't perform well every week. Purchasing your way out of a problem is ruining club football. (Part of why I prefer international football)

I imagine if you spend money on a player then you feel obligated to get the best out of them. Fair enough. But even when a Scot is bought, they are written off so quickly. Jack Hendry was pretty much chased out of Celtic by the fans. Now he is, arguably, in our best 11.

15 hours ago, theabsentee said:

King and Devine only played because of an injury crisis. King was meant to be the best player to come through the academy for years but hasnt been seen since the injured players returned.

Likewise Devine was a standout, got motm in at least 1 game when he was actually playing out of position but again hasnt been seen since Barasic returned.

Lowry has slipped further down the pecking order with the return of Hagi and purchase of 2 other midfielders. He will likely not even make the bench when Lawrence returns.

Players need time to develop. Rangers need to win games but that can be done with balance. Ie in the league if you are 2 nil up at home against Motherwell you should be ok to put on 1 younger player.

Or in the cup against Partick today. If you play 3 youngsters from the start and 8, 1 choice players then you should still win very comfortably.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

King and Devine only played because of an injury crisis. King was meant to be the best player to come through the academy for years but hasnt been seen since the injured players returned.

Likewise Devine was a standout, got motm in at least 1 game when he was actually playing out of position but again hasnt been seen since Barasic returned.

Lowry has slipped further down the pecking order with the return of Hagi and purchase of 2 other midfielders. He will likely not even make the bench when Lawrence returns.

Players need time to develop. Rangers need to win games but that can be done with balance. Ie in the league if you are 2 nil up at home against Motherwell you should be ok to put on 1 younger player.

Or in the cup against Partick today. If you play 3 youngsters from the start and 8, 1 choice players then you should still win very comfortably.

You were right. Not even on the bench today.

He's only 18ish though, so it's not exactly outrage panic stations. But it would be good to see him going out on loan for a season. Callum McGregor has now racked up 400 appearances for Celtic and going out on loan did him no harm.

8 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

This is basically it. And it's not just the management, fans are all too ready to discard Scots that don't perform well every week. Purchasing your way out of a problem is ruining club football. (Part of why I prefer international football)

I imagine if you spend money on a player then you feel obligated to get the best out of them. Fair enough. But even when a Scot is bought, they are written off so quickly. Jack Hendry was pretty much chased out of Celtic by the fans. Now he is, arguably, in our best 11.

International football is far from perfect but it's as pure a form of football as is available at the moment.  Sure people get all bent out of shape about the granny rule, etc but that actually makes a lot of sense.  Myself, for example, I was born in England, 2 weeks later my parents went back to Scotland where I've lived ever since.  Fast forward to the birth of my son, an emergency c- section whilst visitng family in Plymouth making him, in many neanderthals mind, English.  Therefore if not for the granny rule my son would not be eligible to represent Scotland as, apparently, I'm English 🤔

13 hours ago, todd said:

International football is far from perfect but it's as pure a form of football as is available at the moment.  Sure people get all bent out of shape about the granny rule, etc but that actually makes a lot of sense.  Myself, for example, I was born in England, 2 weeks later my parents went back to Scotland where I've lived ever since.  Fast forward to the birth of my son, an emergency c- section whilst visitng family in Plymouth making him, in many neanderthals mind, English.  Therefore if not for the granny rule my son would not be eligible to represent Scotland as, apparently, I'm English 🤔

That's an interesting example of the use of the granny rule. Nationality is much more nuanced these days and, although you do have the odd guy slipping through the cracks that really shouldn't be there (e.g Matt Ritchie has never been to Scotland), most people that play for Scotland have a valid reason to be included.

International football is so gratifying because it can take a generation to fix a problem. Scotland are in full repair mode and we are now qualifying for tournaments partly due to the work we've put into improving the quality and culture. Assuming we continue with this upward trajectory, it'll feel even more rewarding because we didn't just spend a wad of cash to create a temporary fix the way Celtic (and Rangers) have done.