Alex Lowry - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex Lowry

Diamond Scot

Had a big debate with people on here during the summer about Alex Lowry. I said at the time that Rangers showed no faith in him despite being motm in a few of his games and never performing badly but them disapearing from trace when more experienced players returned. (He also picked up an injury)

Said the resigning of Davis and Arfield along with not moving on any other centre mid like Kamara would mean he was a bit part player at best again. 

Now again he picked up an injury this season but just isnt getting game time. Tonights a classic example. He played a couple of weeks back in the lowland league and got a hat trick. Unused sub in the cup and unused sub again tonight.

When Rangers went 3 - 1 up with 20 mins to go they took Moreles off and brought on Tillman. You could argue that they see Tillman as a potential signing so want to see as much of him as possible. Then they took Kamara off and put Sands on. A player they must know that they aint gonnna buy. All the while leaving Arfield on.

Lowry could have come on instead of Tillman. He could have been subbed on directly for Arfield or Arfield could have dropped deeper and Lowry come on for Kamara.

Its clear that he wont be given the minutes and imo he should be looking at a move this month, either loan or otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Had a big debate with people on here during the summer about Alex Lowry. I said at the time that Rangers showed no faith in him despite being motm in a few of his games and never performing badly but them disapearing from trace when more experienced players returned. (He also picked up an injury)

Said the resigning of Davis and Arfield along with not moving on any other centre mid like Kamara would mean he was a bit part player at best again. 

Now again he picked up an injury this season but just isnt getting game time. Tonights a classic example. He played a couple of weeks back in the lowland league and got a hat trick. Unused sub in the cup and unused sub again tonight.

When Rangers went 3 - 1 up with 20 mins to go they took Moreles off and brought on Tillman. You could argue that they see Tillman as a potential signing so want to see as much of him as possible. Then they took Kamara off and put Sands on. A player they must know that they aint gonnna buy. All the while leaving Arfield on.

Lowry could have come on instead of Tillman. He could have been subbed on directly for Arfield or Arfield could have dropped deeper and Lowry come on for Kamara.

Its clear that he wont be given the minutes and imo he should be looking at a move this month, either loan or otherwise.

A loan move to another spl club would be great. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

This is an often discussed point, but Rangers need to do what’s best for Rangers, not what’s best for developing Scottish talent.

Rangers would benefit hugely from having their own talent coming through - See Patterson as the most recent example. If Lowry pushes on, he could net them millions.

Now that old firm rivalry is back, its back to short term thinking from both sides, win at all costs - nothing else matters. 

And with Rangers linked with two young midfielders from the English Championship, it looks unlikely he'll be getting game time in the near future.

I don't know what the issue is with Lowry. Every time I've seen him play he impresses me; his touch and technique are excellent for such a young player. Perhaps his work rate isn't high enough, or he's injury prone, or perhaps he's just another victim of the OF reluctance to gamble on young homegrown talent.

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Rangers would benefit hugely from having their own talent coming through - See Patterson as the most recent example. If Lowry pushes on, he could net them millions.

Now that old firm rivalry is back, its back to short term thinking from both sides, win at all costs - nothing else matters. 

I agree.  Billy gilmour may have made them more cash if he had played.  But you are right, if you are a manager it’s all about the next few results.

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is it just Celtic and Rangers that have a win  at all costs attitude?

The old "selling club" model is pretty rare these days and with all the major clubs starting to hoover up all 16 year olds with any  potential it looks dead and buried.

There is of course a chance that at this moment in time an ex EPL player like Arfield is better than a 19 year old who's last start was in the fifth tier of Scottish football.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is it just Celtic and Rangers that have a win  at all costs attitude?

The old "selling club" model is pretty rare these days and with all the major clubs starting to hoover up all 16 year olds with any  potential it looks dead and buried.

There is of course a chance that at this moment in time an ex EPL player like Arfield is better than a 19 year old who's last start was in the fifth tier of Scottish football.

But that isn't accurate, as the OP said, lowry was motm and got rave reviews when he played, he was then dropped and has barely been seen again.

For me its not even about him starting as much as that would be nice. Its more frustrating to see experienced but limited players like Arfield staying on the pitch when the game should be done. 3-1 up against a team down to 10 men.

To then see other players getting subbed on makes no sence to me. Granted Tillman as Rangers are still weighing him up but Sands?

Surely theres a place to chuck on some youth when the OF go a couple of goals up. If they think thats too much of a risk and Lowry might cost them the game then he shouldnt be at the club in the 1st place.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

For me its not even about him starting as much as that would be nice. Its more frustrating to see experienced but limited players like Arfield staying on the pitch when the game should be done. 3-1 up against a team down to 10 men.

To then see other players getting subbed on makes no sence to me. Granted Tillman as Rangers are still weighing him up but Sands?

Surely theres a place to chuck on some youth when the OF go a couple of goals up. If they think thats too much of a risk and Lowry might cost them the game then he shouldnt be at the club in the 1st place.

Lowry has had quiet a few knocks since coming back from injury, maybe they didn’t want him on a plastic pitch. 

I’m not too worried his talent is huge, but like any player, his attitude does need to be right or he’ll do nothing in the game. 

16 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

This is exactly it with both sides of the OF. They regularly bring on 'experienced' older players when numerous goals to the good rather than young players. You can see why, they need to keep the squad happy and match fit and young players are less likely to throw their toys out the pram due to limited minutes. For me though, it seems a perverse way to look at it. Prioritising the young player is the higher long term value proposition, but the young player is also likely the one they have invested more in already (the total cost of the academy for all the boys involved for years to bring through 1 or 2 players is likely vastly more than a single transfer fee). To (potentially) throw that away for limited short term gain seems, well, short-sighted.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

This is exactly it with both sides of the OF. They regularly bring on 'experienced' older players when numerous goals to the good rather than young players. You can see why, they need to keep the squad happy and match fit and young players are less likely to throw their toys out the pram due to limited minutes. For me though, it seems a perverse way to look at it. Prioritising the young player is the higher long term value proposition, but the young player is also likely the one they have invested more in already (the total cost of the academy for all the boys involved for years to bring through 1 or 2 players is likely vastly more than a single transfer fee). To (potentially) throw that away for limited short term gain seems, well, short-sighted.

Short-sighted indeed! Rangers did everything in their power to stop the 10. Which included playing lots of guys in their mid 30s. It worked.

Celtic had been less guilty of such short term thinking in the past, but Postecoglou seems to have free reign to just stockpile as many foreigners as he can. Probably to ensure Celtic won the league last year. It worked.

However, Rangers have now discovered they can't maintain a winning formula with old men. And Celtic are going to get a fright next year when they can't even put 8 homegrown players in their European squad.

Players like Lowry should be getting subbed on every other game at the very least. I can't even give a name for a Celtic youth that should be getting a game.

Just now, Hertsscot said:

Sadly true, both from a Scotland and Rangers perspective.

Might turn out to be the best thing that happens to him. Surely he will get fed up playing lowland league football. He might even speak to Charlie McCann about life away from Rangers and force a move i  the summer.

The only fear is that he believes the "next year we expect you to play more" lie that many OF youngsters do. The likes of McCrorie for example. What on earth was he thinking signing an extention other than maybe money.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 10:34 AM, ProudScot said:

Subbed on in the 89th minute when Rangers were 3-0 going on 10-0 up against Hearts the other night. Sums up Rangers attitude to playing Scottish youth. 

I don't think it's anything to do with attitude towards our youth. Unfortunately I fear neither old firm club are starting any young Scottish players currently simply because they probably aren't good enough.

Rangers at least have a couple on the bench regularly. Like someone said previously signing Cantwell & I think another midfielder from Belgium means Lowry will  have to really work hard & show he is good enough when any brief chance comes.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:23 AM, theabsentee said:

I don't think it's anything to do with attitude towards our youth. Unfortunately I fear neither old firm club are starting any young Scottish players currently simply because they probably aren't good enough.

Rangers at least have a couple on the bench regularly. Like someone said previously signing Cantwell & I think another midfielder from Belgium means Lowry will  have to really work hard & show he is good enough when any brief chance comes.

Thats been the problem at Rangers for as long as I remember though. There is always better players ajead of them as they are never afforded the opportunity to become better players. 

Guys like King and Lowry were meant to be the best youth products to come through the academy in years but Lowry has had very limited game time despite being excellent pretty much every time he has played. He has certainly played better than the likes of Motondo, Wright and possibly Sakala yet all 3 have played much more.

King came in when there was a raft of injuries and had some dodgy moments and as a result he will find game time hard to come by. Whereas most teams look at potential and realise that making errors is part of the learning curve. 

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Thats been the problem at Rangers for as long as I remember though. There is always better players ajead of them as they are never afforded the opportunity to become better players. 

Guys like King and Lowry were meant to be the best youth products to come through the academy in years but Lowry has had very limited game time despite being excellent pretty much every time he has played. He has certainly played better than the likes of Motondo, Wright and possibly Sakala yet all 3 have played much more.

King came in when there was a raft of injuries and had some dodgy moments and as a result he will find game time hard to come by. Whereas most teams look at potential and realise that making errors is part of the learning curve. 

I was going to say something similar.

The amount of times players are brought in from abroad or down south and they’re given chance after chance after chance to play into form whereas an academy player who has brilliant potential is bombed the minute they make a couple of mistakes.

And in the case of Lowry, I’ve heard his attitude is the issue….. so they bring in Cantwell (who couldn’t get a regular game for a piss poor Norwich side in the EPL) who also has previous for having a terrible attitude.