Alex Lowry - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex Lowry


Diamond Scot
 Share

Recommended Posts

Had a big debate with people on here during the summer about Alex Lowry. I said at the time that Rangers showed no faith in him despite being motm in a few of his games and never performing badly but them disapearing from trace when more experienced players returned. (He also picked up an injury)

Said the resigning of Davis and Arfield along with not moving on any other centre mid like Kamara would mean he was a bit part player at best again. 

Now again he picked up an injury this season but just isnt getting game time. Tonights a classic example. He played a couple of weeks back in the lowland league and got a hat trick. Unused sub in the cup and unused sub again tonight.

When Rangers went 3 - 1 up with 20 mins to go they took Moreles off and brought on Tillman. You could argue that they see Tillman as a potential signing so want to see as much of him as possible. Then they took Kamara off and put Sands on. A player they must know that they aint gonnna buy. All the while leaving Arfield on.

Lowry could have come on instead of Tillman. He could have been subbed on directly for Arfield or Arfield could have dropped deeper and Lowry come on for Kamara.

Its clear that he wont be given the minutes and imo he should be looking at a move this month, either loan or otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Had a big debate with people on here during the summer about Alex Lowry. I said at the time that Rangers showed no faith in him despite being motm in a few of his games and never performing badly but them disapearing from trace when more experienced players returned. (He also picked up an injury)

Said the resigning of Davis and Arfield along with not moving on any other centre mid like Kamara would mean he was a bit part player at best again. 

Now again he picked up an injury this season but just isnt getting game time. Tonights a classic example. He played a couple of weeks back in the lowland league and got a hat trick. Unused sub in the cup and unused sub again tonight.

When Rangers went 3 - 1 up with 20 mins to go they took Moreles off and brought on Tillman. You could argue that they see Tillman as a potential signing so want to see as much of him as possible. Then they took Kamara off and put Sands on. A player they must know that they aint gonnna buy. All the while leaving Arfield on.

Lowry could have come on instead of Tillman. He could have been subbed on directly for Arfield or Arfield could have dropped deeper and Lowry come on for Kamara.

Its clear that he wont be given the minutes and imo he should be looking at a move this month, either loan or otherwise.

A loan move to another spl club would be great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he’s as good as they think at Rangers then not giving him gametime is brainless. He’ll either fail to live up to the hype, or he’ll go elsewhere to be successful, neither of which is of use to rangers. If he moves on Rangers have nobody to blame but themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

This is an often discussed point, but Rangers need to do what’s best for Rangers, not what’s best for developing Scottish talent.

Rangers would benefit hugely from having their own talent coming through - See Patterson as the most recent example. If Lowry pushes on, he could net them millions.

Now that old firm rivalry is back, its back to short term thinking from both sides, win at all costs - nothing else matters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And with Rangers linked with two young midfielders from the English Championship, it looks unlikely he'll be getting game time in the near future.

I don't know what the issue is with Lowry. Every time I've seen him play he impresses me; his touch and technique are excellent for such a young player. Perhaps his work rate isn't high enough, or he's injury prone, or perhaps he's just another victim of the OF reluctance to gamble on young homegrown talent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Rangers would benefit hugely from having their own talent coming through - See Patterson as the most recent example. If Lowry pushes on, he could net them millions.

Now that old firm rivalry is back, its back to short term thinking from both sides, win at all costs - nothing else matters. 


I agree.  Billy gilmour may have made them more cash if he had played.  But you are right, if you are a manager it’s all about the next few results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Rangers would benefit hugely from having their own talent coming through - See Patterson as the most recent example. If Lowry pushes on, he could net them millions.

Now that old firm rivalry is back, its back to short term thinking from both sides, win at all costs - nothing else matters. 

Is it just Celtic and Rangers that have a win  at all costs attitude?

The old "selling club" model is pretty rare these days and with all the major clubs starting to hoover up all 16 year olds with any  potential it looks dead and buried.

There is of course a chance that at this moment in time an ex EPL player like Arfield is better than a 19 year old who's last start was in the fifth tier of Scottish football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is it just Celtic and Rangers that have a win  at all costs attitude?

The old "selling club" model is pretty rare these days and with all the major clubs starting to hoover up all 16 year olds with any  potential it looks dead and buried.

There is of course a chance that at this moment in time an ex EPL player like Arfield is better than a 19 year old who's last start was in the fifth tier of Scottish football.

But that isn't accurate, as the OP said, lowry was motm and got rave reviews when he played, he was then dropped and has barely been seen again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me its not even about him starting as much as that would be nice. Its more frustrating to see experienced but limited players like Arfield staying on the pitch when the game should be done. 3-1 up against a team down to 10 men.

To then see other players getting subbed on makes no sence to me. Granted Tillman as Rangers are still weighing him up but Sands?

Surely theres a place to chuck on some youth when the OF go a couple of goals up. If they think thats too much of a risk and Lowry might cost them the game then he shouldnt be at the club in the 1st place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

For me its not even about him starting as much as that would be nice. Its more frustrating to see experienced but limited players like Arfield staying on the pitch when the game should be done. 3-1 up against a team down to 10 men.

To then see other players getting subbed on makes no sence to me. Granted Tillman as Rangers are still weighing him up but Sands?

Surely theres a place to chuck on some youth when the OF go a couple of goals up. If they think thats too much of a risk and Lowry might cost them the game then he shouldnt be at the club in the 1st place.

Lowry has had quiet a few knocks since coming back from injury, maybe they didn’t want him on a plastic pitch. 

I’m not too worried his talent is huge, but like any player, his attitude does need to be right or he’ll do nothing in the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

For me its not even about him starting as much as that would be nice. Its more frustrating to see experienced but limited players like Arfield staying on the pitch when the game should be done. 3-1 up against a team down to 10 men.

To then see other players getting subbed on makes no sence to me. Granted Tillman as Rangers are still weighing him up but Sands?

Surely theres a place to chuck on some youth when the OF go a couple of goals up. If they think thats too much of a risk and Lowry might cost them the game then he shouldnt be at the club in the 1st place.

This is exactly it with both sides of the OF. They regularly bring on 'experienced' older players when numerous goals to the good rather than young players. You can see why, they need to keep the squad happy and match fit and young players are less likely to throw their toys out the pram due to limited minutes. For me though, it seems a perverse way to look at it. Prioritising the young player is the higher long term value proposition, but the young player is also likely the one they have invested more in already (the total cost of the academy for all the boys involved for years to bring through 1 or 2 players is likely vastly more than a single transfer fee). To (potentially) throw that away for limited short term gain seems, well, short-sighted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

This is exactly it with both sides of the OF. They regularly bring on 'experienced' older players when numerous goals to the good rather than young players. You can see why, they need to keep the squad happy and match fit and young players are less likely to throw their toys out the pram due to limited minutes. For me though, it seems a perverse way to look at it. Prioritising the young player is the higher long term value proposition, but the young player is also likely the one they have invested more in already (the total cost of the academy for all the boys involved for years to bring through 1 or 2 players is likely vastly more than a single transfer fee). To (potentially) throw that away for limited short term gain seems, well, short-sighted.

Short-sighted indeed! Rangers did everything in their power to stop the 10. Which included playing lots of guys in their mid 30s. It worked.

Celtic had been less guilty of such short term thinking in the past, but Postecoglou seems to have free reign to just stockpile as many foreigners as he can. Probably to ensure Celtic won the league last year. It worked.

However, Rangers have now discovered they can't maintain a winning formula with old men. And Celtic are going to get a fright next year when they can't even put 8 homegrown players in their European squad.

Players like Lowry should be getting subbed on every other game at the very least. I can't even give a name for a Celtic youth that should be getting a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hertsscot said:

Sadly true, both from a Scotland and Rangers perspective.

Might turn out to be the best thing that happens to him. Surely he will get fed up playing lowland league football. He might even speak to Charlie McCann about life away from Rangers and force a move i  the summer.

The only fear is that he believes the "next year we expect you to play more" lie that many OF youngsters do. The likes of McCrorie for example. What on earth was he thinking signing an extention other than maybe money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...