Thailand - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thailand

slasher

I’m taking the family to Thailand this summer, 3 nights in Bangkok and 11 in Hua Hin. A few weeks after we had booked it Mrs Slasher mentioned vaccinations which bizarrely I hadn’t thought about at all. Anyway, information online about it is quite conflicting. Some are saying that unless you are going into jungle areas (which I don’t think we will be) then they are not necessary. Other sites seem to suggest tetanus and hepatitis A are a necessity and one or two others desirable. Obviously I don’t want to take any risks with the family so does anyone have any thoughts on this aspect of the trip?

Thinking of visiting an elephant sanctuary while we are there also if anyone has had any experience of that as well?

I would just phone your local health board Slasher as it says in the NHS link

They will probably tell you over the phone if you need anything

However always say No when you are asked if you will be visting any ladyboys ....

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

I would just phone your local health board Slasher as it says in the NHS link

They will probably tell you over the phone if you need anything

However always say No when you are asked if you will be visting any ladyboys ....

Aaaach the ladyboys are fine……..Nicola Sturgeon told me 😉

I've been to Thailand a handful of times and have never needed any vaccinations.  Not been for a few years mind you but can't imagine that will have changed.  If you've booked it through a decent travel agent/tour operator then any advice should be on their documentation.

Can't give any advice on the elephant sanctuary I'm afraid.  When I was going it was all Full Moon Parties and reggae bars!  Ah, those were the days!!

35 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I've been to Thailand a handful of times and have never needed any vaccinations.  Not been for a few years mind you but can't imagine that will have changed.  If you've booked it through a decent travel agent/tour operator then any advice should be on their documentation.

Can't give any advice on the elephant sanctuary I'm afraid.  When I was going it was all Full Moon Parties and reggae bars!  Ah, those were the days!!

I’m leaning towards no jags at the moment, they’re not cheap for one thing!

This will probably be the last year of holidaying with the kids so if Mrs Slasher and I enjoy it we’ll probably go back in search of our inner hippy! 👍

6 hours ago, slasher said:

I’m leaning towards no jags at the moment, they’re not cheap for one thing!

This will probably be the last year of holidaying with the kids so if Mrs Slasher and I enjoy it we’ll probably go back in search of our inner hippy! 👍

In Thailand you can share one of them between the two of you. 😂

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2023 at 9:21 AM, slasher said:

I’m taking the family to Thailand this summer, 3 nights in Bangkok and 11 in Hua Hin. A few weeks after we had booked it Mrs Slasher mentioned vaccinations which bizarrely I hadn’t thought about at all. Anyway, information online about it is quite conflicting. Some are saying that unless you are going into jungle areas (which I don’t think we will be) then they are not necessary. Other sites seem to suggest tetanus and hepatitis A are a necessity and one or two others desirable. Obviously I don’t want to take any risks with the family so does anyone have any thoughts on this aspect of the trip?

Thinking of visiting an elephant sanctuary while we are there also if anyone has had any experience of that as well?

Go to one in Bangkok not Hua Hin. The Elephant ‘sanctuary’ in Hua Hin is beyond sad, 3 Elephants chained up and trained to do dances etc. In Bangkok there are far more ethical sanctuaries where you can help the elephants.