craig gordon - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

craig gordon

tartan davie

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood playing Gordon in every friendly when age isn’t on his side, he’ll need to be replaced within the next couple of years irrelevant of his injury. Nobody is a stand out choice to replace him as nobody’s had a chance, totally up for grabs if someone can show excellent form over the coming months then the jersey is theirs 

6 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Never understood playing Gordon in every friendly when age isn’t on his side, he’ll need to be replaced within the next couple of years irrelevant of his injury. Nobody is a stand out choice to replace him as nobody’s had a chance, totally up for grabs if someone can show excellent form over the coming months then the jersey is theirs 

We need to play our absolute best team whenever possible. Trying out a far inferior keeper is not an option. Lets say another keeper had been played against Turkey an extra cap is not going to transform him into an international class goalkeeper. Sadly, we are very thin on the ground goalkeeping-wise and there is no avoiding that fact so much so that I'd hazard a guess we will all crave Gordon gets put back into the team as soon as he is fit even if it is next year when he is in his 40s.

29 minutes ago, tartan davie said:

wishing craig gordon a speedy recovery but who will take his place in the squad,if zander clark  gets a  run in the hearts first team will he get another call up 

A very good chance it will be Zander Clark. He will get first team football now that Gordon is out and Hearts will probably end up in the top half of the table. I cannot see any youngsters in the running to replace Gordon.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We need to play our absolute best team whenever possible. Trying out a far inferior keeper is not an option. Lets say another keeper had been played against Turkey an extra cap is not going to transform him into an international class goalkeeper. Sadly, we are very thin on the ground goalkeeping-wise and there is no avoiding that fact so much so that I'd hazard a guess we will all crave Gordon gets put back into the team as soon as he is fit even if it is next year when he is in his 40s.

Disagree - friendlies are for trying out younger/different players and even a different formation etc. There’s absolutely zero point playing the team you’d play in a competitive game in a friendly. 

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Disagree - friendlies are for trying out younger/different players and even a different formation etc. There’s absolutely zero point playing the team you’d play in a competitive game in a friendly. 

To a point I agree but not when you are playing a player you know is far inferior. You try out players who you think may be an improvement going ahead on other players at your disposal. That is clearly patently not the case in the goalkeeping department.

17 minutes ago, dan cake said:

If Clarke rates him above the rest then he should definitely be asking him

Yeh but he made his allegiances pretty clear even though his dad is scottish and played for scotland. That to me says alot about how he feels about playing for scotland. Also having a second look at his career on wiki hes not really done much to shout about. Hes only really had 1 proper season and that was with norwich when they finished 14th in the championship.

Edited by mccaughey85

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh but he made his allegiances pretty clear even though his dad is scottish and played for scotland. That to me says alot about how he feels about playing for scotland. Also having a second look at his career on wiki hes not really done much to shout about. Hes only really had 1 proper season and that was with norwich when they finished 14th in the championship.

Yes and the olive branch was held out by McLeish when he was Scotland boss and Gunn rejected it. 

6 hours ago, dan cake said:

If Clarke rates him above the rest then he should definitely be asking him

We shouldn't be crawling to these characters. He wants to play for england and has made that quite clear. Let him live or die on that decision. Would be astonished if they were interested in him. Has any sense of self respect gone out the window.Get him to f.. k. 

18 hours ago, kumnio said:

Angus Gunn can GTF. And his dad can do one as well.

Spot on.

In any case why ask him to reconsider? If anyone should be asked to reconsider it should be players who committed themselves to play for us - Allan McGregor and David Marshall. Ask them to reconsider their retirements from international football. And lets face it both have played more consistently at higher level than a Scottish imposter.

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Something else we should consider: modern goalies are coached to use their feet to sweep and start attacks. Craig, McGregor and Marshall are all old school. McGregor's kicking has been woeful at times for Rangers. Liam Kelly has been coached in the modern way and is playing first team football.

Liam Kelly and Zander Clark are both decent goalkeepers. And Robby McRorie has shown glimpses that he might turn into a decent goalie as well.

However, in the short term, I think we should he dangling the Hall of Fame carrot in front of David Marshall. He's 3 caps away from 50, and you'd imagine a big part of the reason he retired is because he lost his spot to Gordon. 

5 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Liam Kelly and Zander Clark are both decent goalkeepers. And Robby McRorie has shown glimpses that he might turn into a decent goalie as well.

However, in the short term, I think we should he dangling the Hall of Fame carrot in front of David Marshall. He's 3 caps away from 50, and you'd imagine a big part of the reason he retired is because he lost his spot to Gordon. 

David Marshall is a very average goalkeeper. Also enjoys pretending he’s a centre mid at a major tournament too 

Unfortunately, I think this is Gordon's career over. He did brilliantly to come back from that three year injury he had before, especially as that looked like his career (at international level at least) was over then; the fact he'll be 40 in a few days means he probably won't be able to recover before the natural end.

The only positive is Zander Clarke will now be Hearts' first choice keeper, which will make him one of our three keepers for the next international period. The big issue is all three (likely) keepers will have no caps going into the Cyprus game.

Of our options, I'd have Kelly as the starter - especially as he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, which will allow us to play out from the back more: something our defenders may be more used to at club level.

17 hours ago, ProudScot said:

David Marshall is a very average goalkeeper. Also enjoys pretending he’s a centre mid at a major tournament too 

He's less than average now he's chosen to take on field retirement. 

19 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Unfortunately, I think this is Gordon's career over. He did brilliantly to come back from that three year injury he had before, especially as that looked like his career (at international level at least) was over then; the fact he'll be 40 in a few days means he probably won't be able to recover before the natural end.

The only positive is Zander Clarke will now be Hearts' first choice keeper, which will make him one of our three keepers for the next international period. The big issue is all three (likely) keepers will have no caps going into the Cyprus game.

Of our options, I'd have Kelly as the starter - especially as he's comfortable with the ball at his feet, which will allow us to play out from the back more: something our defenders may be more used to at club level.

Kelly, McCrorie & Clark/McLaughlin

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Kelly, McCrorie & Clark/McLaughlin

Ross Doohan maybe.  Granted he’s playing in League 2 with Tranmere but he came through the Celtic youth system and was a regular in Under 21 squads and is still young enough to develop.

Anything other than choosing 1 of the 2 or 3 up and coming squad goalkeepers to start the next games would be another disheartening nod to the fact that Clarke clearly doesn't trust them. Not that I rate any of them particularly either, but you have to encourage some of these boys and give them confidence, and there has been maybe a handful of low-risk chances to do so.

Most importantly though, wishing Gordon a speedy and full recovery, not simply to be able to play again, but as a young father to maintain optimal mobility and long term livelihood.