Croatia - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Croatia

Bobby Russell's Lovechild

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Or it will remain the same or get better depending on how Rangers and other Scottish clubs perform in Europe.  Nobody knows.

Point being was that teams from Croatia dont perform better in Europe using any measuring tool.

For a country like Scotland to have a team in a final 3 times in last 20 years is actually very good. I believe only Portugal can match that outside the big 5 leagues.

Again how many Scottish players contributed - Rangers Euro finalists last year and 1 Scot who qualifies for the national team started was it? 

Yes the Croatian teams don’t make European finals but their teams who play in Europe are full of Croats

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

🤣🤣🤣

fuck knows why you felt that was relevant. Was it just a chance for you to praise rangers?🤣

Haha nope. 

Everyone knows the improved coefficient is down to their recent performances.

as per above the lack of Scot’s starting for them means the performances in Europe aren’t as benefitted from as nations like Croatia who’d have 8-10 Croatians in their club sides playing in Europe, which is a shame. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Again how many Scottish players contributed - Rangers Euro finalists last year and 1 Scot who qualifies for the national team started was it? 

Yes the Croatian teams don’t make European finals but their teams who play in Europe are full of Croats

You are missing the point. The original poster said that in Croatia they had a rule which means that each club has to play 5 or 6 Croats which helps the national team but also the Croat teams in Europe who perform better in Europe than Scottish teams (who have no such rule).

Im merely pointing out that this is incorrect. Nowhere am I saying the Old Firm success in Europe helps the national team although there is an argument for it however lets not get sidetracked.

What im saying is that given the above (that the OF have factually performed better than almost every country in Europe except Portugal outside the top 5 leagues in terms of getting to finals over the past 20 years) whether it would be fair to those fans, (who make up a huge % of football fans in Scotland) to implement a rule that will be to their detriment.

Im a Scotland fan, I pretty much only care about Scotland however I respect that other football fans are more interested in club football. Why should the SFA make their team worse by introducing a rule like this.

Especially as ive said previously that similar results can be achieved in other ways. Make a certain % of turnover have to be spent on academies. Make a minimum amount of TV revenue be spent on pitch upkeep so that we play on adequate pitches for passing football. These type of things could easily be introduced and would in turn churn out better young players (the majority of whom will be Scottish).

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Haha nope. 

Everyone knows the improved coefficient is down to their recent performances.

as per above the lack of Scot’s starting for them means the performances in Europe aren’t as benefitted from as nations like Croatia who’d have 8-10 Croatians in their club sides playing in Europe, which is a shame. 

....the combined performances of Rangers and Celtic. Would we have 2 Champions League places based on Rangers alone? No. Rangers deserve a lot of credit for their Europa League success, but Celtic have racked up plenty of points as well, and basically held the fort for the best part of a decade before Rangers started contributing again.

I support any club with Scotland players in it. Which means I was always happy to see Celtic in Europe with 4 or 5 Scots in the XI. I do fear that Ange is just stockpiling foreigners now. Callum McGregor could very soon be the only Scot that is getting regular game time. Taylor, Ralston and Turnbull might for a while, but I fear the worst. The route for youth seems to be non-existent at Celtic now. 

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

The last 10 champions league winners have all contained at least 1 Croatian, love a good stat 

I think that's finalists rather than winners, but I could be wrong.

Although there are a lot of duplicates - such as Modric (5 finals) and Mandžukić (2) - and no Croatian player played in the 2019 final - Lovren was on the bench for Liverpool.

That said, only Brazil, France and Spain have had a player play at least a single minute in the past ten Champions League finals; Germany only lacked a player in 2019.

5 hours ago, dan cake said:

The last 10 champions league winners have all contained at least 1 Croatian, love a good stat 

From 1967-1986 there was a Scot playing in a European final every year except 2. ( Can't remember which exact 2( mid 70's)

Might be 66-87.  Still a remarkable stat. And shows how far we have dropped.

8 hours ago, stocky said:

From 1967-1986 there was a Scot playing in a European final every year except 2. ( Can't remember which exact 2( mid 70's)

Ridiculous how bad we’ve performed at major championships when we had genuinely top class players, Mexico equaled our World Cup group stage exit record last week (8) and I bet they’ve played double the amount 

8 hours ago, stocky said:

Yes it is a remarkable stat. As for how far we've dropped. Maybe part of it is that other nations have just got better? Croatia didn't even exist as a nation back then. Look at Morocco now. Look at the remarkable progress of the likes of Denmark, Iceland, Japan. And for the future, watchout now for the likes of North Macedonia, USA, Canada and Mexico.
To get back to the topic of the thread. I feel we need to step back a wee bit from the idea that we are some kind of great football nation just looking for the magic key to reawaken our brilliance. We're not. (Leave that line of thinking to our rich and super-confident neighbours down south). We're a small European nation lacking the national confidence to even to run our own affairs. We need to look at other small European nations and learn from them.  And Croatia is certainly one of the small European nations we can look to emuate, at least in terms of football.