Scottish academy players at World Cup finals - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish academy players at World Cup finals

GHfaeGTA

With Dundee United and Hibs academy graduates, Harry Souttar and Jason Cummings playing for Australia, do we have to go back to 1998 for last players coming through academies in Scotland to play in World Cup? As a Dundee United fan, pretty certain last former United academy player before Souttar was Christian Dailly in 1998 with Billy McKinlay also featuring that year. What about other clubs? Any played since 1998? Recall Michael McGlinchey, who was in Celtic’s academy, playing for New Zealand but not sure if he played any games in World Cup finals? 

Don’t think McGlinchey did play in 2010 and a quick check suggests no Celtic nor Rangers academy graduate played for Scotland in the 98 finals in any game. Remarkably you have to go back to 1990 for the last players to come through the Celtic or Rangers youth system to play in the finals, unless anyone knows otherwise.

by the way Kevin Gallacher also played in the game with Dailly in 98 so he shares the accolade for Dundee United. 

Cummings came through the Hearts academy. Was there for four years before being released. Signed for Hibs later on and made his first team debut a couple of months later. 

By the way, ‘academy graduate’ is one for that old ‘wanky phrases’ thread 🙈

16 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Alfreð Finnbogason played and scored for Iceland at the 2018 World Cup. When he was a kid his family lived in Embra for a few years and he played for Hutchison Vale's youth teams.

Think the last one was Jackson Irvine. He was in Celtic youth system for about 3 years and played in last World Cup. Last Scot in Celtic youth system was Paul McStay in 1990 and for Rangers was Fleck and McPherson in 1990 also. Craig Moore, another Aussie was a Rangers youth and played in 2006 finals. 

31 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Cummings came through the Hearts academy. Was there for four years before being released. Signed for Hibs later on and made his first team debut a couple of months later. 

By the way, ‘academy graduate’ is one for that old ‘wanky phrases’ thread 🙈

Agreed about Academy graduate but that is the phrase they use today certainly at Tannadice. In my day they were S signings 

9 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Think the last one was Jackson Irvine. He was in Celtic youth system for about 3 years and played in last World Cup. Last Scot in Celtic youth system was Paul McStay in 1990 and for Rangers was Fleck and McPherson in 1990 also. Craig Moore, another Aussie was a Rangers youth and played in 2006 finals. 

He played in this one as well, he almost scored the other night.

15 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Agreed about Academy graduate but that is the phrase they use today certainly at Tannadice. In my day they were S signings 

Aye me too. That’s just us getting auld. 
Bugs me when I see squad announcements with ‘JD Academy Graduate’ next to it. It means fuck all until you’ve made it in the game, no just a handful of appearances from the bench.