12 Steps of AA.... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

12 Steps of AA....

Has anyone on here gone through the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous? I know this is a touchy subject, but just thought I would ask. I have been going to AA since last March, and I am starting the Steps program with my sponsor this week. It is supposed to be life changing from everyone I have spoken to in my meetings.. Very looking forward to this next journey in my recovery. Never felt better in all my life since I quit drinking.. BR1314...

17 minutes ago, aaid said:

Fair play to you and good luck.

Did they not explain the anonymous bit to you though?

Yes, I know all about anonymity. It is one's choice to talk about it if they please. That's why I said it is a touchy subject. I am not embarrassed to share I am now a recovering alcoholic. I was at first, for personal reasons, but I am ok with it now. I chair AA meetings now, and speak at fellowship meetings. I never speak about what happens in my meetings through the anonymity you mentioned. It's always nice to hear someone's experience, views, thoughts on the 12 Steps, but you are correct mate, not everyone is comfortable talking about it. Which I completely understand and respect..

7 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Has anyone on here gone through the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous? I know this is a touchy subject, but just thought I would ask. I have been going to AA since last March, and I am starting the Steps program with my sponsor this week. It is supposed to be life changing from everyone I have spoken to in my meetings.. Very looking forward to this next journey in my recovery. Never felt better in all my life since I quit drinking.. BR1314...

I know we give each other a bit of stick on here and I am sure we will in the future, but I want to wish you all the best with this Ramy.

40 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I know we give each other a bit of stick on here and I am sure we will in the future, but I want to wish you all the best with this Ramy.

Thank you mate. I am sure alcohol played a big part in some of my embarrassing moments on this board over the years. Appreciate that Malcolm.. I'm 8 months sober, and feeling great...

Despite a lot more awareness and openness around alcohol addiction these days a lot of people still feel they cant talk about it or admit up to it, particularly on a public message board. Maybe a PM would be easier if anyone has experienced this. Even if no one has gone through the 12 steps themselves I am sure some will know of people who have. 
It’s a big problem, particularly in Scotland. I drink more than I should though I am thankfully not addicted. 
I wish you well Ramy ❤️

8 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

That explains a lot Ramy, I always hoped you couldn't huv been as daft as some of your post suggested, all the best 👍