"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 11/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, Clyde1998 said:

The only positive with this plan seems to be the potential redevelopment of Hampden, otherwise it’s pointless us being involved. It’s merely England plus a token stadium from each of the Celtic nations; I'd rather England just hosted it alone, it’s not like there’s any logistical reason they couldn’t.

I'm surprised they're getting a look in given them disgracing themselves last time. 

The most annoying thing is that it pretty much guarantees the Final will be at Wembley, the place is a sh ... rubbish stadium IMO, empty cavernous atmosphere free. Feels more like a giant basketball court. Been 3 times since it was redeveloped and got to say I prefer the previous version. If anywhere the Final SHOULD be at Hampden, (3rd)Hampden was built 20 years BEFORE the first Wembley so pandering to Wembley as some kind of icon annoys me. 
As I say, the ONLY positive for me is the possible finance opportunity for upgrading Hampden but otherwise we'll just be part of England's tournament which no doubt the foreign press will label "british" and they can ram that.  

19 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

The most annoying thing is that it pretty much guarantees the Final will be at Wembley, the place is a sh ... rubbish stadium IMO, empty cavernous atmosphere free. Feels more like a giant basketball court. Been 3 times since it was redeveloped and got to say I prefer the previous version. If anywhere the Final SHOULD be at Hampden, (3rd)Hampden was built 20 years BEFORE the first Wembley so pandering to Wembley as some kind of icon annoys me. 
As I say, the ONLY positive for me is the possible finance opportunity for upgrading Hampden but otherwise we'll just be part of England's tournament which no doubt the foreign press will label "british" and they can ram that.  

i agree but I will add the positive of hampden being redeveloped doesn't out weigh the rest for me. 

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

i agree but I will add the positive of hampden being redeveloped doesn't out weigh the rest for me. 

I'm leaning very much that way too, was trying to find a positive but it's a stretch. 

9 hours ago, Kirk said:

Even with Hampden being done up, it wont be anything close to what it needs. So a solid no for me

I'm not keen either. But I can't get the following image out of my head:

Some of you might remember the tv series "SAS Are you tough enough?" series a few years back? There's an episode  where Eddie (a Scottish ex-SAS soldier) plays the part of a POW under interrogation. One of the things I remember is where his captor/interregator offers the beaten-up Eddie a drink of water.  Eddie picks up the glass and drinks it. Voice over "If your captor offers you food and drink, take it, that's maybe all you'll be getting".

I don't know, maybe we should take what we're offered? (It's maybe all we'll be getting?)

Even on a successful bid, I really doubt Hampden will get anywhere close to the money that it would take to get the redevelopment works done to it that people expect it will.

Its costing Liverpool £80m per stand to do up Anfield to simply add 7,000 extra seats to the stadium capacity.

The view will be simply that it met the requirements for Euro 2020 (held in 2021) so what will have changed in 7 years?

45 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Even on a successful bid, I really doubt Hampden will get anywhere close to the money that it would take to get the redevelopment works done to it that people expect it will.

Its costing Liverpool £80m per stand to do up Anfield to simply add 7,000 extra seats to the stadium capacity.

The view will be simply that it met the requirements for Euro 2020 (held in 2021) so what will have changed in 7 years?

True, at present due to Hampden holding a 5 star UEFA rating it is on the face of it a "nice to have" rather than a necessity.. there will ALWAYS be an argument that £400m could be spend better as the "british" political landscape is driven by spite and division, tbh I doubt this will happen, and I mean the full refurbishment we need, till we're independent and that's a whole different conversation!  

31 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

True, at present due to Hampden holding a 5 star UEFA rating it is on the face of it a "nice to have" rather than a necessity.. there will ALWAYS be an argument that £400m could be spend better as the "british" political landscape is driven by spite and division, tbh I doubt this will happen, and I mean the full refurbishment we need, till we're independent and that's a whole different conversation!  

I think had it been a World Cup bid for 2030 that was taking place, there was probably more of a chance that we would see major money spent on redevelopment at Hampden, but a lot less chance of that now with it downgraded to the Euro's.... and especially one where 90% of the stadiums are ready right now (Everton's is as good as complete.... and work is due to start on Casement Park next year.... only stadium in England that is down for any kind of major face-lift is Villa Park, which is getting a similar upgrade as Anfield, with it done on stand by stand phases over the next 5-6 years).

It's pretty much nailed on this bid will win on account Turkey aren't going to be handed anything no matter how many times they bid (fans fired a rocket into the home end at a match this week). 

England will be handed automatic qualification. The fact there'll be 32 teams qualifying for Euro 2028 means maybe they could let the others qualify too. 

Still perplexed we haven't put forward Murrayfield & our capital city Edinburgh though. The "it's a rugby stadium" doesn't wash when Dublin, Belfast & Cardiff are all putting forward non-football stadiums.

50 minutes ago, Sempre said:

It's pretty much nailed on this bid will win on account Turkey aren't going to be handed anything no matter how many times they bid (fans fired a rocket into the home end at a match this week). 

England will be handed automatic qualification. The fact there'll be 32 teams qualifying for Euro 2028 means maybe they could let the others qualify too. 

Still perplexed we haven't put forward Murrayfield & our capital city Edinburgh though. The "it's a rugby stadium" doesn't wash when Dublin, Belfast & Cardiff are all putting forward non-football stadiums.

Cos it's rubbish for fitba? 

27 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Cos it's rubbish for fitba? 

If that's what's stopping us, why we putting forward Hampden?

We've a chance to be co-hosts of the European Championships. To only put forward one stadium is actually comical. Even Ireland have put forward two.

8 hours ago, Sempre said:

If that's what's stopping us, why we putting forward Hampden?

We've a chance to be co-hosts of the European Championships. To only put forward one stadium is actually comical. Even Ireland have put forward two.

For the Tournament, only 10 stadiums are required.

Dublin has put forward two, but that will be cut to just one.

Its probably been agreed between all the fa's that of the 10 stadiums, it will be 6 in England, and one each from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

All nations with the exception of Northern Ireland have the stadiums required in place already (I suspect Croke Park is only there as a fall back should Belfast struggle to get their new stadium started/complete in time).

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Its probably been agreed between all the fa's that of the 10 stadiums, it will be 6 in England, and one each from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

You'll be correct on that, which makes it a nonsense bid. 

Manchester has two in the bid, in fact there's three within a 30 mile radius if you include Everton. The north-east of England has two. Yet Scotland, despite having four eligible stadiums, has put forward one.

The real reason of course is because the SFA don't want any competition for Hampden from other Scottish stadiums. They know if they submit one stadium, it's guaranteed to be picked.

10 minutes ago, Sempre said:

You'll be correct on that, which makes it a nonsense bid. 

Manchester has two in the bid, in fact there's three within a 30 mile radius if you include Everton. The north-east of England has two. Yet Scotland, despite having four eligible stadiums, has put forward one.

The real reason of course is because the SFA don't want any competition for Hampden from other Scottish stadiums. They know if they submit one stadium, it's guaranteed to be picked.

To be honest, there is plenty of stadiums in England that you could say are noticeably absent... its clear they will go with two London stadiums (Wembley and Spurs), yet why not list Southampton and give the South of England  chance.

SFA put forward the stadium they own, simply because of that (knowing we are only getting one stadium like both the Ireland's and Wales.

I full expect the final list will be Wembley, Spurs, Aston Villa, Millenniumm, Old Trafford, Everton, Newcastle, Hampden, Aviva and new Belfast stadium.

17 hours ago, Sempre said:

There's only 24 qualifying for the finals: UEFA Euro 2028 - Wikipedia

Dismissing Turkey out of hand would be ridiculous and unfair.  They have the football history, they have the stadiums and it would make far more sense to hold it it in one country compared to this potential dug's breakfast of an idea. 

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

There's only 24 qualifying for the finals: UEFA Euro 2028 - Wikipedia

Right enough, they originally planned to extend it to 32 teams but missed the announcement they had abandoned it.

Hopefully Uefa say to qualify automatically you need a minimum of two stadiums and Murrayfield is a late addition.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Dismissing Turkey out of hand would be ridiculous and unfair.  They have the football history, they have the stadiums and it would make far more sense to hold it it in one country compared to this potential dug's breakfast of an idea. 

Turkey has bid for the last five European Championships, and is bidding for both Euro 2028 & Euro 2032. That they keep being rejected so often would suggest dismissing them isn't that ridiculous at all.

Looking at why they lost out on Euro 2024

- They only had 60% of infrastructure ready (Germany had 100%)

- Their human rights record

- The lack of road & rail to connect the hosting cities. They needed $20bn at the time of the bid to fix that and only had a quarter of funding in place. 

- Lack of hotel rooms in most host cities

- Alcohol advertising is banned

- Turkey also bans sites such as booking.com, which is a pain for fans trying to book accommodation

So basically, U.K. & Ireland will host Euro 2028 and Italy will host Euro 2032.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to say we'll host as long as we don't have to play our games at Hampden. Would rather play in Everton & Tottenham's stadiums.

10 minutes ago, Sempre said:

Right enough, they originally planned to extend it to 32 teams but missed the announcement they had abandoned it.

Hopefully Uefa say to qualify automatically you need a minimum of two stadiums and Murrayfield is a late addition.

Turkey has bid for the last five European Championships, and is bidding for both Euro 2028 & Euro 2032. That they keep being rejected so often would suggest dismissing them isn't that ridiculous at all.

Looking at why they lost out on Euro 2024

- They only had 60% of infrastructure ready (Germany had 100%)

- Their human rights record

- The lack of road & rail to connect the hosting cities. They needed $20bn at the time of the bid to fix that and only had a quarter of funding in place. 

- Lack of hotel rooms in most host cities

- Alcohol advertising is banned

- Turkey also bans sites such as booking.com, which is a pain for fans trying to book accommodation

So basically, U.K. & Ireland will host Euro 2028 and Italy will host Euro 2032.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to say we'll host as long as we don't have to play our games at Hampden. Would rather play in Everton & Tottenham's stadiums.

I meant UEFA dismissing them out of hand in favour of this daft bid from "the UK" would be ridiculous, rather than you suggesting they would.  

7 hours ago, tartan davie said:

😄😄😀

Remember England ( sorry UK) are getting this as a sop because they pulled out of bidding for 2030 WC.

Sorry about quote, can't get rid of it.

28 minutes ago, Sempre said:

A U.K. & Ireland bid wouldn't actually be that bad an idea, if it:-

a) Was the World Cup

b) Wasn't just England with some token stadiums from the others.

I could get behind that, at a push.

One of the anticlimactic things about the Euros though was us playing two games at Hampden, where we always play. For me, part of the glamour of tournament football is seeing your team playing in a stadium somewhere you wouldn't normally.