"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/hampden-park-included-in-uk-ireland-preliminary-bid-dossier-to-host-uefa-euro-2028/?rid=14258

Got to say I've no enthusiasm for this tournament bid whatsoever as it's England + a few other token venues and is sailing FAR to close to being "british" for my liking, but it COULD be the lever to get the funding we so desperately need to upgrade Hampden Park and bring her into the 21st century! 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So based on that list, upon a successful bid, looks like it will most likely be cut down to,

Pot 1 - Wembley and Spurs

Pot 2 - Hampden and St James'

Pot 3 - Everton and Old Trafford

Pot 4 - Aviva and New Belfast Stadium

Pot 5 - Cardiff (Millennium) and Villa Park

Probably see Cardiff get the opening ceremony, Hampden and Aviva getting a semi-final each, and final at Wembley.

Far from ideal, but if it gets anything like the bounce in Glasgow during the last Euro's, all for it.

4 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

So if the top 2 ranked sides qualify automatically surely the other 3 could still qualify through the groups?

No, that would be our qualifying group. All five of us in the same group. They might still have a chance through the playoffs though?

The only positive with this plan seems to be the potential redevelopment of Hampden, otherwise it’s pointless us being involved. It’s merely England plus a token stadium from each of the Celtic nations; I'd rather England just hosted it alone, it’s not like there’s any logistical reason they couldn’t.

11 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The only positive with this plan seems to be the potential redevelopment of Hampden, otherwise it’s pointless us being involved. It’s merely England plus a token stadium from each of the Celtic nations; I'd rather England just hosted it alone, it’s not like there’s any logistical reason they couldn’t.

I agree, and if we did manage to qualify it would be more like a proper tournament.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No thanks

We would be part of a massive 'footballs coming home' bash

Why couldn't we do this with Wales and all of Ireland ourselves?

It's a dreadful idea. I think the only other bidder is Turkey, who have some fantastic stadiums but a less than fantastic human rights record. Then again, the powers that be cared not a jot about Qatar's human rights record, so that possibly won't be an issue.

I guess the main thing preventing us and the Irelands hosting it is the lack of suitable venues.

7 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Can’t see it “coming home” so quickly 

Especially given the bother at last year's final.

This bid was just a sop after Boris pulled out of the World Cup 2030.

I read Hampden will get £14m to put towards refurbishments. At the current rate of inflation that will be enough to do up the bogs...

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/glasgow-hampden-park-could-14-25437466

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

It's a dreadful idea. I think the only other bidder is Turkey, who have some fantastic stadiums but a less than fantastic human rights record. Then again, the powers that be cared not a jot about Qatar's human rights record, so that possibly won't be an issue.

I guess the main thing preventing us and the Irelands hosting it is the lack of suitable venues.

I recall the Euro 2008 bid failed (partially) because we had too many stadia (three) in Glasgow, whereas all our competitors had one stadium per city.

The minimum stadium capacity requirements are:

• 1 stadium with 60,000 seats
  • 1 stadium (preferably 2) with 50,000 seats
  • 4 stadiums with 40,000 seats
  • 3 stadiums with 30,000 seats

If you said a three-way Celtic nations bid (us, Ireland and Wales), you got the following existing stadia which fit the criteria:

1. Millennium Stadium, Cardiff - 74,500
  2. Croke Park, Dublin - 69,500 (seated)
  3. Murrayfield, Edinburgh - 67,000
  4. Parkhead, Glasgow - 60,000
  5. Hampden, Glasgow - 52,000
  6. Aviva Stadium, Dublin - 52,000
  7. Ibrox, Glasgow - 51,000
  8. Cardiff City, Cardiff - 33,000
  9. Minimum of one additional stadium needed (possibly new or expanded grounds in Aberdeen, Dundee, Swansea and/or GAA stadia)

Of the existing stadia, there are arguably too many in Glasgow (especially), Dublin and Cardiff. Depending on how many stadia you want to have in total - the French ended up with ten in 2016, with twelve in their bid - you could alleviate the issue by certain stadiums being used for specific stages (eg. use the Cardiff City Stadium for the group stages and use the Millennium for the knockouts). I believe the main concern is about policing, transport infrastructure and hotels.

Ireland has a lot of GAA grounds, which are presently largely terracing. These could be upgraded to all-seater, similar to the proposed Casement Park redevelopment in Belfast.

Aberdeen are looking for a new stadium - so that would be a good fit. The London Olympic Stadium had a temporary additional tier for the Olympics, which was removed once the games finished; having ~30,000 for the Euros, with ~20,000 as the permanent capacity, is an option for an Aberdeen stadium. Dundee could have a similar plan; Swansea were looking at expanding their stadium at one point.

If the SFA had a bit of imagination, it would be possible to have Euro finals matches in Scotland without being tacked on to an English bid. How many games are we going to end up hosting anyway - four, five?

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

From what I saw on the telly, England hosted the last Euro's.

Right enough. That team only travelled once. And it was to humiliate a sub par Ukraine team in Rome. 

They’ll never get a better chance to win a tournament.

And they still couldn’t beat us! 

J

I think the only advantage to this happening (other than it being a home tournament if we qualify) would be the opportunity to finally renovate Hampden to a higher standard.

I think Glasgow City Council have already said they would earmark money for it, with some Scotgov money and whatever the SFA could raise, we might finally get a decent north stand and a better view from behind the goals!

1 hour ago, Judith said:

I think the only advantage to this happening (other than it being a home tournament if we qualify) would be the opportunity to finally renovate Hampden to a higher standard.

I think Glasgow City Council have already said they would earmark money for it, with some Scotgov money and whatever the SFA could raise, we might finally get a decent north stand and a better view from behind the goals!

£14m GCC have earmarked.... but that will be for minor touch up's.

I doubt the SFA will get the money out of a successful bid to be in a position to redevelop the East and West stands (you are probably talking £80-100m for that alone)