Indyref 2 (2) - Page 63 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

12 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Big opportunity for the SNP to make political capital out of this regardless of whether people supported the bill or not - and let’s face it, the vast majority of people are not particularly invested or impacted.  

But now we have WM wielding their power the Scottish Parliament. If this is where it starts, where does it stop? 

every woman in the country is impacted. Whilst I am generally against meddling from Westminster completely for it in this case.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a meeting today, it was held by an oil major so the meeting was full of really high up personnel, one of the topics discussed was the difficulty in attracting workers to the industry, one of the big bosses had her say away and to my surprise turned to the the scottish government and absolute disgust in their meddling in the industry with no plan, no foresight and no clue of the impact it could have. This meeting was attended by very influential folk in the northeast and to say they were not impressed would be an understatement. The workers of this industry were fully behind independence in 2014, now because of sturgeon and her student politics stance the Industry would be totally against it,, just another example of her not working in the best interest of independence 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

The difference here is that this should outrage both those who support independence and those who support devolution.

Absolutely . Any independence supporter that is happy at this is a charlatan. If we become independent decisions are going to be made that dont please everybody . Will these people be wanting the UK to step in every time a policy is implemented that they dont like ? Wtf is the point of independence? Its the same old same old. Some folk only want independence if its on their terms. 

18 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I was in a meeting today, it was held by an oil major so the meeting was full of really high up personnel, one of the topics discussed was the difficulty in attracting workers to the industry, one of the big bosses had her say away and to my surprise turned to the the scottish government and absolute disgust in their meddling in the industry with no plan, no foresight and no clue of the impact it could have. This meeting was attended by very influential folk in the northeast and to say they were not impressed would be an understatement. The workers of this industry were fully behind independence in 2014, now because of sturgeon and her student politics stance the Industry would be totally against it,, just another example of her not working in the best interest of independence 

And today’s winner of the “and this never happened” award goes to…

37 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

every woman in the country is impacted. Whilst I am generally against meddling from Westminster completely for it in this case.

Thanks for your concern but don’t assume every woman is bothered or against it. 

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You do realise the north east voted massively no to scottish independence. Why should the scottish government help or boost a massive no voting area.  I also doubt most of the big oil bosses were pro indy anyway. They will side with whatever suits them. 

I would say that most scottish workers in the oil industry are pro indy from my experience but if they want to turn against independence then thats their choice. Its another example of why scotland might have to forget about independence for a generation. The ppl obviously dont have the inner strength to take their country back. When you contrast that to a country like ukraine then its clear that we are soft and subservient.

The scottish ppl need to toughen up and quick if we are to stand a chance. 

Maybe the north east needs the rough end of the stick for a few years. The oil rich area was so well off that they voted massively against independence whereas places like dundee and glasgow voted for independence. 

What scottish ppl need is harsh treatment for a few years, the mollycoddling and trying to persuade ppl never worked. Let the ppl get fucked for a few years. Lol the harder the better imo. 

59 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Shock, horror.

The fossil fuel industry and it's figureheads have never been friendly to Scottish independence, and as McCaughey said the north east overwhelmingly voted against the cause in 2014. When we get independence the fossil fuel industry will bend to our will, not the other way around.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think you're over estimsting the public support for this bill. 

Agree.  Don't see the outrage carrying particularly well in groups that are needing won over.  Definitely not based on my peer group.  

I fully expected the govt to do this.  Plays to their culture wars narrative, it's only Scotland being uppity again and bakes in that westminster has the power to Scots.  No votes for them to be lost.

47 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Absolutely . Any independence supporter that is happy at this is a charlatan. If we become independent decisions are going to be made that dont please everybody . Will these people be wanting the UK to step in every time a policy is implemented that they dont like ? Wtf is the point of independence? Its the same old same old. Some folk only want independence if its on their terms. 

Totally agree. No Government is perfect. Government in an independent Scotland would make mistakes, get things wrong but I'd rather make my own mistakes rather than pass over all decision making to my next door neighbour.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Well, back in the day they used money.   Over 3x what I started on as an electronics graduate and that was in the boom days for my industry, so no, I'm not feeling sorry for you.

Admittedly, I'd not heard of global warming then, so wouldn't had baulked at the chance (I was trying to avoid the arms industry),  but maybe young graduates still have a conscience?

31 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Agree.  Don't see the outrage carrying particularly well in groups that are needing won over.  Definitely not based on my peer group.  

I fully expected the govt to do this.  Plays to their culture wars narrative, it's only Scotland being uppity again and bakes in that westminster has the power to Scots.  No votes for them to be lost.

Same here. Basically same amongst my friends/family. And vast majority of them voted Yes in 2014.

31 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Well, back in the day they used money.   Over 3x what I started on as an electronics graduate and that was in the boom days for my industry, so no, I'm not feeling sorry for you.

Admittedly, I'd not heard of global warming then, so wouldn't had baulked at the chance (I was trying to avoid the arms industry),  but maybe young graduates still have a conscience?

Don’t feel sorry for me, I earn a very good wage and could transfer into the wind sector tomorrow if needed

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

You do realise the north east voted massively no to scottish independence. Why should the scottish government help or boost a massive no voting area.  I also doubt most of the big oil bosses were pro indy anyway. They will side with whatever suits them. 

I would say that most scottish workers in the oil industry are pro indy from my experience but if they want to turn against independence then thats their choice. Its another example of why scotland might have to forget about independence for a generation. The ppl obviously dont have the inner strength to take their country back. When you contrast that to a country like ukraine then its clear that we are soft and subservient.

The scottish ppl need to toughen up and quick if we are to stand a chance. 

Maybe the north east needs the rough end of the stick for a few years. The oil rich area was so well off that they voted massively against independence whereas places like dundee and glasgow voted for independence. 

What scottish ppl need is harsh treatment for a few years, the mollycoddling and trying to persuade ppl never worked. Let the ppl get fucked for a few years. Lol the harder the better imo. 

You do realise that the industry would be needed to convince the viability of an independent Scotland, and not all the constituencies of the north east voted no, Banff and Buchan was a solid yes, regardless of what London based aaid comes away with 

43 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Anyone with half a brain would see this,, if anything it will turn yes voters away.. it almost looks deliberate 

11 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I can assure you it very much did happen, 

I will look forwards to reading about it in the press then because that’s were a senior executive talking in the terms you described about the government will be likely to end up.

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

I will look forwards to reading about it in the press then because that’s were a senior executive talking in the terms you described about the government will be likely to end up.

Ah ok, so meetings by senior employees of a company and non senior employees end up in the press 🤣ok got yi, am sure it wouldn’t reach London