Indyref 2 (2) - Page 123 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Orraloon said:

None of that is the fault of the kids, it's all down to bad parenting. 

Why do they need water at their desks? They get plenty of breaks and they are only in school for about 3 and a half hours a day anyway.

Why are they allowed water and not juice? Is that to make it harder to cover up the smell of the vodka?

From a purely practical point of view it's easier to clean up a water spillage in class, anything with sugars makes for a sticky mess, harder to clear up, more mess, more disruption, less learning.

Pupils have been allowed water in classes for decades now probably based on spurious research about brain dehydration. None of this helped by non-working water fountains. Though as pointed out when I was the other side of the desk no one drank water in lessons and no one went to the loo in class (although admittedly it was an all boys school so that ruled out one legitimate reason for going to the toilets)

22 hours ago, aaid said:

I'm after every vote however

Population of Uist (North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist - 4723.

Population of Glasgow City - 626,410

Exactly the problem the part has, if you can’t see what’s wrong with that then you don’t understand Scotland 

That just isn't correct I've heard he was planning on stepping down for over a year. In fact me and someone else were slagging the person who told us at hogmany party cause we thought it wasn't true. Turns out it was.

1 minute ago, phart said:

That just isn't correct I've heard he was planning on stepping down for over a year. In fact me and someone else were slagging the person who told us at hogmany party cause we thought it wasn't true. Turns out it was.

I know a few of his family, even they are saying he’s running to the hills 

13 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I know a few of his family, even they are saying he’s running to the hills 

You “know” some of his family and yet you were accusing me of being his wife for months.  You know fuck all. 

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Am I the only snp member that realises what is away to unfold at next year’s general election, this could be a labour style collapse 

I can see it coming.

Not labour 2015 level but deffo 2017 election level ....

I don't know any mps or msp's families or any of their friends..

I do have Mhari Blacks phone number tho I helped run her election.

1 hour ago, sjd1972 said:

Yoonatics on Twitter had Charles Kennedy trending last night essentially saying that Blackford caused his death.  I thought it was a problem with alcohol that lead to his demise.  

It was

It's one of their fallback and oft used lies that appears mainly at election times

These are the cunts that we are dealing with  

51 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

It was

It's one of their fallback and oft used lies that appears mainly at election times

These are the cunts that we are dealing with  

Aided and abetted by the BBC . I see they have managed to shoehorn that in despite it having absolutely nothing to do with news of him standing down and no proof whatsoever that it had anything at all to do with Charles Kennedys death. You can expect that from The Sun etc , the BBC are no better that tabloid sensationalism these days. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65827165.amp

5 hours ago, stocky said:

I can see it coming.

Not labour 2015 level but deffo 2017 election level ....

I don't know any mps or msp's families or any of their friends..

I do have Mhari Blacks phone number tho I helped run her election.

You better get going with her election again, she will need all the help she can 

Slippers Wishart already panicking and trying to blow this out the water amongst the other devolutionist SNP

https://archive.is/2023.06.06-101000/https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/scotland/2023/06/alex-salmond-bids-to-disrupt-labour-with-pro-independence-electoral-pact

Alex Salmond bids to disrupt Labour with pro-independence electoral pact

The former Scottish first minister has written to all SNP MPs calling for an agreement between Alba, the SNP and the Scottish Greens.

There is a plot afoot in Scotland which, if successful, would dent Keir Starmer’s bid to become the next prime minister. A letter from Alex Salmond, the leader of the Alba Party, has today been sent to all SNP MPs, suggesting a pro-independence electoral pact between the two parties and the Scottish Greens to maximise the anti-Union vote.
Alba is a small party compared to the SNP and the letter will inevitably be received with a certain amount of derisive huffing. But Salmond’s logic is not easy to refute and senior SNP figures, including the two leadership candidates defeated by Humza Yousaf – Kate Forbes and Ash Regan – are among those thought to have shown private interest in the idea. 
In his letter to MPs, seen exclusively by the New Statesman, Salmond writes: “The proposal is as follows: all existing seats held by independence-supporting MPs will be fought by that candidate or their party’s chosen representative. That will account for some 47 of the 57 Scottish seats. The remaining ten would be distributed among the participating parties with the SNP again receiving the lion’s share. Each party would agree to have as the first paragraph in their manifesto that they are standing seeking a popular mandate to negotiate independence from Westminster.”
He adds: “At a stroke, the entire dynamic of the election will change. The focus will no longer be on how many SNP seats will be lost to Labour but how many of the ten remaining unionist seats will be lost to the Scotland United coalition. Election debate will be centred on independence and how to get it, and not on the record or current internal difficulties of Scotland’s major party.“
If the pact resulted in a majority of Scottish MPs favouring independence, it would give the next UK government a headache over whether to accept a new referendum and would likely  reduce the number of Labour MPs elected in Scotland – something that could prove crucial to the party’s chance of an overall majority at Westminster. 
Everything starts with the numbers. An Ipsos poll last month put support for Scottish independence at 51 per cent and opposition at 45 per cent – though other polling companies, including Survation, YouGov and Redfield & Wilton, have recently put the pro-Union side ahead by between three and 10 points. But contrast this with the position of the SNP: Ipsos found that support for the party had fallen by 10 points since December to 41 per cent, with Labour now in second place on 29 per cent. 
The eminent pollster John Curtice says that the four polls conducted since Yousaf became SNP leader “have all detected a widening of the gap between the level of support for the SNP and that for independence. On average these polls put support for the SNP in the next Westminster election at 39 per cent and support for independence at 48 per cent. The widening of the gap suggests that the alignment between the two has weakened.”
These are the numbers behind Salmond’s move. He believes that support for independence remains robust despite the chaos inside the SNP. Inside the party there is frustration with Yousaf’s gradualist strategy on independence. The First Minister believes it is crucial to first decontaminate the SNP – following recent scandals – and provide calm and effective government before seeking another referendum. But many nationalists are getting impatient.
Electoral pacts are often proposed but rarely actually happen. In this case the SNP leadership would have to relinquish its hostility to Salmond personally following his fraught falling out with Nicola Sturgeon. That might be too much. But the arrival of all of those letters gives Yousaf and the SNP, at the very least, something new to think about. Labour will be fervently hoping that nothing comes of this.

If you think the SNP are listening check out Ben MacPherson's mask slipping on BBC Debate night

Could have been Archie MacPherson

Regarding the polling figures, bear in mind that the policies of each party are not really under detailed scrutiny at the moment as there's no campaigning going on.  Labour's policies (basically handed down from London) include: pro brexit, anti indy or even a referendum, anti freedom of movement, anti single market or customs union, anti immigration, want to bring back tuition fees, prescription charges, NHS privatisation, bridge tolls, hospital parking charges - need I go on, fill in any blanks yourself.  Labour have pretty much moved to where the Tories were about 7 years ago.  Imagine what will happens to Anus Sarwar when he has to defend their manifesto in a head to head televised election debate.  I think already there are signs of the SNP vote share, affected by the performative theatre of Police Scotland and their "investigation" backed up by intense media coverage and distortion, starting to recover.  I would be surprised if Labour in Scotland would win an election on the basis of Sir Starmer's ideas which are in direct opposition to what Scotland votes for.  If what they are offering is acceptable to a majority of the people of Scotland then fuck them, they deserve all they would get.  There is still time to turn things round - the problem is that Yousaf and his clique of Sturgeon's cast off dullards aren't listening and don't have the imagination to do anything about it.  any MP or MSP talking about seeking extra devolved powers can do one - that's not the aim of an independence party when it's clear as daylight that WM is intent on blocking everything and anything.  We're in a prison and it's time we had a jailbreak.  That should be the absolute priority.