Indyref 2 (2) - Page 115 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sturgeons tenure as first minister is the worst thing that could have ever happend to the independence campaign. They promised a referendum this year, instead we are getting arrests and the sullying of independence as a concept by association.

They've taken us all the way back to square one

11 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

On a side note, good polling for the snp released today, well good compared to the last few polls

What was that out of interest?

Wouldn't surprise me that the 45 are polarised, hardened, and circling the wagons

Still there to be had, with a party in place that genuinely means what they say, and understands why they've been elected

My glass half full remains hopeful that going backwards to go forwards is what will happen

End of the day you can absolutely see the rabid media bashing of the SNP now. They, like all unionists, believe killing the SNP kills independence. They are true that it takes away the biggest political voice for independence but those that support independence will still hold their strong political views and still want independence - they cannot kill that voice.

Sadly, though it opens the door to a union-supporting government in Holyrood who, no doubt, will act to make laws even tighter to secure the union. 

I do not see the independence movement being anywhere near united enough to put forward a strong united case for independence though due to selfish people with their own agendas (in ALL pro-independence parties) and Scotland has subservience in abundance too so people will accept whatever shite Westminster deals them up and accept it with a glaikit smile on their face as has been seen in the last few years.

Depressing as hell.

2 hours ago, Redz said:

What was that out of interest?

Wouldn't surprise me that the 45 are polarised, hardened, and circling the wagons

Still there to be had, with a party in place that genuinely means what they say, and understands why they've been elected

My glass half full remains hopeful that going backwards to go forwards is what will happen

1D5CA3D4-C244-47CE-B448-C5523B414C21.jpeg

BAFD6524-8952-4CC3-A441-BC43BA200DC9.jpeg

A5CAFB3B-3A8E-48D0-AB7B-E4964709790C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

End of the day you can absolutely see the rabid media bashing of the SNP now. They, like all unionists, believe killing the SNP kills independence. They are true that it takes away the biggest political voice for independence but those that support independence will still hold their strong political views and still want independence - they cannot kill that voice.

Sadly, though it opens the door to a union-supporting government in Holyrood who, no doubt, will act to make laws even tighter to secure the union. 

I do not see the independence movement being anywhere near united enough to put forward a strong united case for independence though due to selfish people with their own agendas (in ALL pro-independence parties) and Scotland has subservience in abundance too so people will accept whatever shite Westminster deals them up and accept it with a glaikit smile on their face as has been seen in the last few years.

Depressing as hell.

So the way I see it, Wm Election is pretty much a write off, probably end up with around 35 seats but that is not a problem if u ask me as what do the majority of our MP’s do down there, if the likes of Angus MacNeil, Philips whitford ect(get the bardells of this world to fuck) lose their seats get them to run for holyrood, select the best talent we have, humza will be gone and we will need to make a showing at holyrood, I don’t actually think it’s a disaster if we haven’t a majority however if we get just shy of it that would be a good outcome,, get Flynn or Forbes as next leader

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So the way I see it, Wm Election is pretty much a write off, probably end up with around 35 seats but that is not a problem if u ask me as what do the majority of our MP’s do down there, if the likes of Angus MacNeil, Philips whitford ect(get the bardells of this world to fuck) lose their seats get them to run for holyrood, select the best talent we have, humza will be gone and we will need to make a showing at holyrood, I don’t actually think it’s a disaster if we haven’t a majority however if we get just shy of it that would be a good outcome,, get Flynn or Forbes as next leader

Just sitting here thinking how this is like a mirror image of Westminster issues but left with the same political stalemate.

Scots who want independence felt sure the grotesque governance of Westminster embroiled in multiple scandals over the last three or four governments (at least) would force us through the threshold and more soft no unionists would join the independence cause. But no that has not materialised and leave us frustrated that people will still back this union.

And conversely, now with the SNP imploding with scandals of their own the unionists are gleefully rubbing their hands thinking its a return to their good old days of unionism in full power in Scotland stamping out independence supporting parties. Polls show and I am sure it won't be the obliteration the unionists dream of and no doubt they'll be left frustrated too.

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So the way I see it, Wm Election is pretty much a write off

Possibly but there seems to be bit of a typical Scottish reaction to the handling of all this ie fired up a few folk, especially when compared to other arrests/investigations.

49 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

38 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just sitting here thinking how this is like a mirror image of Westminster issues but left with the same political stalemate.

Scots who want independence felt sure the grotesque governance of Westminster embroiled in multiple scandals over the last three or four governments (at least) would force us through the threshold and more soft no unionists would join the independence cause. But no that has not materialised and leave us frustrated that people will still back this union.

And conversely, now with the SNP imploding with scandals of their own the unionists are gleefully rubbing their hands thinking its a return to their good old days of unionism in full power in Scotland stamping out independence supporting parties. Polls show and I am sure it won't be the obliteration the unionists dream of and no doubt they'll be left frustrated too.

I'd rather our MPs didn't bother taking their seats at WM. Anytime I watch them on TV they basically get ridiculed and laughed at by the rest of the chamber. Even when they say something valid they get mocked by the tories and the other opposition. 

I remember one particular time when Blackford stood up and quoted Boris Johnson's infamous racist letterbox comment................when Blackford called Johnson racist, the chamber turned on Blackford, they weren't angry at the comments made by Johnson, they were angry at Blackford for having the balls to call Johnson racist

Edited by vanderark14

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

English guy conflates Independence with the SNP

Weeks ago, just as the leadership contest had started, I watched a debate on Barrhead Boy's Through a Scottish Prism Your Tube channel

It will still be there - among the guests were Phil Boswell and Lloyd Quinan

I was surprised about the vitriol towards Mike Russell and his actions in the past

No great details were gone into but it would appear he is another with a bag load of skeletons and in it up to his neck

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Admire his honesty but it does seem that they’ve wasted years now and essentially manipulated voters into giving them mandates with no real plan beyond asking Westminster for a referendum. On top of the recent issues it’s hard to see independence for many years now if at all. 

44 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Admire his honesty but it does seem that they’ve wasted years now and essentially manipulated voters into giving them mandates with no real plan beyond asking Westminster for a referendum. On top of the recent issues it’s hard to see independence for many years now if at all. 

The only chance, and it is a very small and unlikely one, is that new Political Leadership is found before the next election - whether that be a GE or Holyrood one.

Who the fuck that will be escapes me as it seems there are very few of the elected and previously elected Independence movement who are not tainted. particularly those in Holyrood

It would probably need something radical like an MP being drafted into a safe Holyrood seat and becoming SNP leader and gutting a lot of the party already in there

Thinking now the Irish will lead to Scotland self determination, well , break up of the UK. 
the US has always been more sympathetic to the Republic, IRA in all its incarnations. Westminster if it was ever honest would love to offload the financial burden too, but are too scared of GBeebies News and their mates. 
fully expecting fireworks of some kind the coming days now our UK security has announced an imminent threat from the enemies of theirs . Timed to cause most chaos around Biden’s visit.

has to be said that rUK will still be reliant on Scotland to power the renewables industry once they’re done with Scotland’s black gold. 

4 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Weeks ago, just as the leadership contest had started, I watched a debate on Barrhead Boy's Through a Scottish Prism Your Tube channel

I was surprised about the vitriol towards Mike Russell and his actions in the past

No great details were gone into but it would appear he is another with a bag load of skeletons and in it up to his neck

First of all, that first comment is completely cuntish.

Secondly, you do realise that those people you reference are those he is talking about in that article as being those who are barriers to a unified movement.  If you support their view, then you are also part of the problem.

14 minutes ago, aaid said:

First of all, that first comment is completely cuntish.

Secondly, you do realise that those people you reference are those he is talking about in that article as being those who are barriers to a unified movement.  If you support their view, then you are also part of the problem.

It was tongue in cheek and not as cuntish as saying the SNP is the Independence movement

That is his deliberate contradiction around unity ...apart from us now finding out that he too has been lying his tits off around membership numbers and finances

2 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Thinking now the Irish will lead to Scotland self determination, well , break up of the UK. 
the US has always been more sympathetic to the Republic, IRA in all its incarnations. Westminster if it was ever honest would love to offload the financial burden too, but are too scared of GBeebies News and their mates. 
fully expecting fireworks of some kind the coming days now our UK security has announced an imminent threat from the enemies of theirs . Timed to cause most chaos around Biden’s visit.

has to be said that rUK will still be reliant on Scotland to power the renewables industry once they’re done with Scotland’s black gold. 

Hence why they're so desperate to hold onto us. Despite that, there still are lot of people in our country who think we're too poor to exist without London's generosity. 🤦‍♂️

The reason that Northern Ireland is even a thing is because a century ago it was economically valuable to the British treasury. That hasn't been the case for a long time though and frankly it's a bit of an albatross, as far as WM are concerned. It's rumoured that they've been trying to get shot of the place since the 1970s.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

The reason that Northern Ireland is even a thing is because a century ago it was economically valuable to the British treasury. That hasn't been the case for a long time though and frankly it's a bit of an albatross, as far as WM are concerned. It's rumoured that they've been trying to get shot of the place since the 1970s.

Churchill allegedly offered Northern Ireland to de Valera, on the proviso that the Irish joined the Allies in WW2.

16 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The only chance, and it is a very small and unlikely one, is that new Political Leadership is found before the next election - whether that be a GE or Holyrood one.

Who the fuck that will be escapes me as it seems there are very few of the elected and previously elected Independence movement who are not tainted. particularly those in Holyrood

It would probably need something radical like an MP being drafted into a safe Holyrood seat and becoming SNP leader and gutting a lot of the party already in there

Maybe a time out of government will humble the SNP and refocus them. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That would mean a Unionist coalition

The damage would be huge

20 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If anything serious is uncovered on Mike Russell it will be a sad day. IMO he is one of the most straight, level headed people in the SNP. 
I will see if I can find it but ‘No great details’ isn’t quite enough . 

19 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I am absolutely certain independence will happen. Not in the next few years though. The UK seems to exist in name only now. There is infighting everywhere. Brexit has been a massive mistake . 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t necessarily think this would be a bad thing. Being out of power could allow them to get back to basics and focus on what the party was originally set up for . It might also allow them to shed the lightweight MP and MSP’s in the party.

However..

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

That would mean a Unionist coalition

The damage would be huge

I agree with Ally, it would be a huge risk. I can see Westminster chucking all sorts of freebies to Scotland in a unionist coalition. Doesn’t matter what party is in power down there. Its a constant 2 horse race and  both parties know that control just switches  back and forth between them. Neither of them can afford to lose the wealth that Scotland brings so they will be happy to support each other on that. 

If they can manage to push support for independence down into the 30’s by throwing short term money it will be hard to come back. Then at our weakest they just pull the rug and make a smash and grab on our resources . 
I would put nothing past them. Nothing. 

something is telling me that we will see salmond back in the SNP in some capacity, maybe to rebuild from the inside out and not on public view, the murrells seem to have gutted any structures that were in place within the party,, there is a complete overhaul required i am affraid

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

something is telling me that we will see salmond back in the SNP in some capacity, maybe to rebuild from the inside out and not on public view, the murrells seem to have gutted any structures that were in place within the party,, there is a complete overhaul required i am affraid

Salmond is way too toxic

This however is brutal and i doubt Aaid can even disagree

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-partys-over/