Indyref 2 (2) - Page 73 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

23 hours ago, Alibi said:

Maybe if NS dialled back on the unpopular policies and actually did something to advance the cause of independence - normality - we'd get better poll results.  Seems to me that every time she has to make a tactical decision - de facto referendum, supreme court, Stop brexit election, you name it - she picks the poorest option. She's a decent colonial administrator up to a point, but she's a dreadful leader of the indy movement, having alienated many of the own party members and many ex-members, while still not being able to offer an olive branch to any other groups on the indy side.  Her sell by date is fast approaching.

Spot on

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, aaid said:

Hey Dave, I just saw something about the Burke family in Galway, they seem like reasonable sorts of people.  WTF is going on there?

Ahh, this is the teacher that got suspended?

I'd noticed the story but hadn't really paid attention to it.

They seem like the Irish Taliban.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_family_(Castlebar)

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

snp MP and MSP beside hate speach

image.png.3f4d67126ead738dd8de6b7b8cb4fee9.png

Certainly wouldn't agree with every chant or poster at rallies or marches I've attended (or Scotland matches for that matter!) and sometimes politicians get photobombed, but if that happens then the least you'd expect is a clear condemnation of such sentiments.

Like you say if it was 'decapitate TRAs' the usual SNP suspects (Blackman etc.) would be all over it. It's this sort of stuff that gives people like Wings credibility and does the independence cause no favours.

Edited by Hertsscot

All 4 elected SNP members should be suspended and/or made to resign

If only they had such gusto attending Independence rallies

It is fucking infuriating

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Apparently Zahawi was fined for careless tax non payments for receiving £27m (payment received in 2019).

His defence was believing it did not need declaring, beyond belief.

Probably Nicola Sturgeon’s fault. 

Edited by aaid

15 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Certainly wouldn't agree with every chant or poster at rallies or marches I've attended (or Scotland matches for that matter!) and sometimes politicians get photobombed, but if that happens then the least you'd expect is a clear condemnation of such sentiments.

Like you say if it was 'decapitate TRAs' the usual SNP suspects (Blackman etc.) would be all over it. It's this sort of stuff that gives people like Wings credibility and does the independence cause no favours.

Totally agree. I dont think politicians need to avoid marches or rallies or to agree with every sentiment from the crowd, but to allow yourself to be caught on camera with signs like that in the background really does question sound judgment , apart from anything else. A fairly basic requirement for an MP or MSP. 

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

A fairly basic requirement for an MP or MSP. 

Remember when the SNP had to be squeaky clean so that the opposition wouldnt have free ammunition ?

2 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Who said this GRA carry on would be forgotten about in a few weeks? 🙄

Well it most certainly would be forgotten about if it wasn’t for the UK government sticking their oar in . I think they have over stretched their reach on this one though , given how little real impact the GRA changes make for most people. Absolutely nobody believes the Tories care about any of changes being made. 

You didn’t answer my question on moving jobs from previous post. Interested to know why you wouldn’t move now and get embedded in renewables,  knowing O&G has a limited life span regardless and that renewables is a greener alternative . 

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Remember when the SNP had to be squeaky clean so that the opposition wouldnt have free ammunition ?

I realise how draining it must be to have be on guard 24/7 due to the fact everybody is trying to catch you out. Especially with mobile phones these days. And I also get that there can be momentary lapses of concentration and that you can be caught off guard.
But going to a controversial rally like this , ( rightly ) criticising the UK government,  you should be on your toes and alienating yourself from anything that could backfire. If the photo was taken from an angle and the signs were caught in the background then it would just be unfortunate,  you cant control every event, but they are clearly aware the photo is being taken . 

29 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s not like it’s a surprise, they are aligning themselves with a minority of extremists who enjoying using threats of violence, don’t be surprised if some of the speakers at the protest have said or did something worse than what was on the sign. 

Correct , the "gender critical" folk had one of their speakers unironically quoting Hitler last week, the level of dialogue is worrisome so much violence in the rhetoric.

22 hours ago, Malcolm said:

snp MP and MSP beside hate speach

image.png.3f4d67126ead738dd8de6b7b8cb4fee9.png

That looks more than a bit photoshoppy to me.

U really should question everything you see on line. 

However, that wouldn't fit your agenda tho, would it 🤔

1 hour ago, phart said:

Correct , the "gender critical" folk had one of their speakers unironically quoting Hitler last week, the level of dialogue is worrisome so much violence in the rhetoric.

A lot of grifters on the gender critical side as well. 

This is just gonna run and run. 

36 minutes ago, stocky said:

I did look briefly for other pictures as well to check. Couldn't find anything.

33 minutes ago, stocky said:

there’s video footage of it and it’s been widely acknowledged as being real, including by the individuals in the pictures who have since issued grovelling apologies.  Might want to check that out.

the snp and greens have thrown themselves right behind this including a number of very unsavoury individuals who want to attack and threaten women.  This is fringe politics. It’s a strategic error.

41 minutes ago, stocky said:

How so?

If it’s the content of the sign, you see that said regularly across social media. 

And politicians sharing platforms with people who’ve previously said similar things. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I realise how draining it must be to have be on guard 24/7 due to the fact everybody is trying to catch you out. Especially with mobile phones these days. And I also get that there can be momentary lapses of concentration and that you can be caught off guard.
But going to a controversial rally like this , ( rightly ) criticising the UK government,  you should be on your toes and alienating yourself from anything that could backfire. If the photo was taken from an angle and the signs were caught in the background then it would just be unfortunate,  you cant control every event, but they are clearly aware the photo is being taken . 

Are they aware of what is behind them though?  

Are those signs acceptable, no of course not, but anyone who doesn’t think there’s bad actors on both sides of this “debate” who have extremist views is kidding themselves.

I see Murdo Fraser has reported this as a hate crime, that's funny as I thought he was opposed to hate crime legislation. 

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

Are those signs acceptable, no of course not, but anyone who doesn’t think there’s bad actors on both sides of this “debate” who have extremist views is kidding themselves.

I see Murdo Fraser has reported this as a hate crime, that's funny as I thought he was opposed to hate crime legislation. 

The SNP and the greens seem comfortable sharing platforms and views with the extreme trans rights side though. 

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

I am actually giving them the benefit of the doubt and that they DONT  know what is behind them, that is why I am questioning their judgement.
In their position, if they attend an event like this to criticise the UK government interference,  they should be checking what is around them before posing for a photo. They must know there are loonballs out there.

Of course there are bad actors on both sides. Some are on this board.