Indyref 2 (2) - Page 64 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

🙈🙈🙈 So no electric cars now either,, this government is fucked 

I’m assuming there’s plenty of space up there in the middle of the North Sea where you are - but try navigating the M8 or Glasgow, Edinburgh, or any town centre around the country.  I’m sure Aberdeen is the same.

Try moving around during rush hour and the ‘school run’.   It’s blindingly obvious that there needs to be drastic change.  Transition to electric is essential but there needs to be MASSIVE overhaul of infrastructure, public transport and city centres. All that needs to be coupled with huge lifestyle changes from the public.   

Or we can do it your way mate. Just keep drilling, making diesel cars and making more and more expensive roads that fall apart under the ever increasing strain. That’s not short term thinking AT ALL is it? 

34 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

You do realise that the industry would be needed to convince the viability of an independent Scotland, and not all the constituencies of the north east voted no, Banff and Buchan was a solid yes, regardless of what London based aaid comes away with 

Wheres the info that banff and buchan voted yes?

If scottish ppl need a successful oil industry in order to choose independence then we really need to pack up the indy movement as we are well and truly fucked.

5 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

I’m assuming there’s plenty of space up there in the middle of the North Sea where you are - but try navigating the M8 or Glasgow, Edinburgh, or any town centre around the country.  I’m sure Aberdeen is the same.

Try moving around during rush hour and the ‘school run’.   It’s blindingly obvious that there needs to be drastic change.  Transition to electric is essential but there needs to be MASSIVE overhaul of infrastructure, public transport and city centres. All that needs to be coupled with huge lifestyle changes from the public.   

Or we can do it your way mate. Just keep drilling, making diesel cars and making more and more expensive roads that fall apart under the ever increasing strain. That’s not short term thinking AT ALL is it? 

Aberdeen is pretty good, all the improvements salmond made to the infrastructure has made a massive difference 

Just now, hampden_loon2878 said:

Aberdeen is pretty good, all the improvements salmond made to the infrastructure has made a massive difference 

I was up for weekend at Easter and couldn't believe how far downhill it had gone. Particularly union Street. 

Don't really notice it when up for football but that first time I've stayed in maybe 5 or 6 years.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Wheres the info that banff and buchan voted yes?

If scottish ppl need a successful oil industry in order to choose independence then we really need to pack up the indy movement as we are well and truly fucked.

Tell me what will fill the 120k oil and gas related jobs in the short term? You expect folk that rely on the industry to feed their families to vote for this, the oil industry is one of if not the biggest employer in the Hebrides, huge employer in Dundee, Angus, even Glasgow,,it’s an industry in its twighlight, no question however until we use less than we produce, it’s fucking insanity to close down the North Sea, why import from abroad,, 

3 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I was up for weekend at Easter and couldn't believe how far downhill it had gone. Particularly union Street. 

Don't really notice it when up for football but that first time I've stayed in maybe 5 or 6 years.

Aye the city centre is a shit hole for a number of reasons, the traffic however is night and day compared to 10 years ago 

16 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

You think the current SG could initiate those cultural changes 🤣 come on, they best concentrate on our NHS, poor and unemployed 

7 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Tell me what will fill the 120k oil and gas related jobs in the short term? You expect folk that rely on the industry to feed their families to vote for this, the oil industry is one of if not the biggest employer in the Hebrides, huge employer in Dundee, Angus, even Glasgow,,it’s an industry in its twighlight, no question however until we use less than we produce, it’s fucking insanity to close down the North Sea, why import from abroad,, 

Fuck me, there was life before oil. There will be life after it. Also 120k jobs are not going to go overnight. A movement across to renewables has already started and will continue and oil will be around for a while yet, just maybe not as big as it was.

Also if scots want well paid oil jobs over indy then thats the choice they make. Other countries had to fight and die for independence. If scotland wants to remain british over oil money then its obviously not that bothered about independence and you trying to blame the snp isnt going to make any difference.

Your continually making excuses for the scottish ppl in order to blame/scapegoat the ppl who have tried their best to get us out of the union. Its weak and pathetic. 

If scotland doesnt want independence then you and i need to take responsibility instead of pinning blame on ppl like sturgeon, swinney etc.

The buck stops with us.

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I believe the is a independent friendly Tory light voter, centre right.. they do exist 

that’s a fair description.  Both in 2014 and now I am in the balance.  Voted yes in 2014.  I would describe myself as centre right in outlook.  I think there is a large number of us in that category.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Ah ok, so meetings by senior employees of a company and non senior employees end up in the press 🤣ok got yi, am sure it wouldn’t reach London 

That’s not really how you described it though is it?

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Oh you have the numbers? Please enlighten us all. I forgot you were the oracle 

We’ve been through all this before on the thread that got deleted.

There is no breakdown available of votes for Aberdeenshire by constituency.  The vote was 60/40 No/Yes.  For B&B to have a Yes majority would’ve meant that the other two constituencies would’ve have to had something like 80% of a no vote.it’s such obvious pish.  

I’m sure I can did the working out if you’re really that interested. 

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I think you're over estimsting the public support for this bill. 

The bill itself is almost irrelevant. I'm sick of hearing about the damn thing but the bigger issue is that the WM government has just decided to veto a piece of legislation applicable in Scotland that it doesn't agree with.

Anyone who believes in devolution (let alone independence) should be concerned about that because it sets a precedent which flys in the face of the concept of devolution, i.e. having the power to do things differently in Scotland if we choose to do so.

48 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

I think the Gender Recognition issue is just about the worst battleground for the Scottish Govt to take on the U.K. Govt in terms of the constitutional issue. There is significant opposition in Scotland. 

Agreed. It's a bizarre hill to die on.  I think they're misguided if they think this will aid independence. 

I'd rather they actually pushed a case for independence which they appear reluctant to do.

14 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The bill itself is almost irrelevant. I'm sick of hearing about the damn thing but the bigger issue is that the WM government has just decided to veto a piece of legislation applicable in Scotland that it doesn't agree with.

Anyone who believes in devolution (let alone independence) should be concerned about that because it sets a precedent which flys in the face of the concept of devolution, i.e. having the power to do things differently in Scotland if we choose to do so.

Full thing is a nonsense. Msps whipped to vote for something so divisive yet if you polled the public on it (as has been done) you'd struggle to get a majority of public in support. 

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Full thing is a nonsense. Msps whipped to vote for something so divisive yet if you polled the public on it (as has been done) you'd struggle to get a majority of public in support. 

If we just went with what was popular with the public, we’d still be hanging people. 

19 minutes ago, scotlad said:

it’s also the vast majority of the Scottish public that don’t want this legislation.  msps whipped in to voting for what is ideological and nonsensical legislation that is downright dangerous.  Hats off to msps like Ash Regan for defying the party and voting with her conscience. I hope her career survives the current leadership.

sturgeon to go and a moderate with more centrist views installed please. Strategic error by the snp this whole fiasco.

25 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Is it not because it impacts the UK equality act, rather than them just not liking the bill?

Maybe it’s just politics at play, let’s be honest the torries don’t give a fuck about women etc. 

But depending on who you listen to, it was a badly written bill. 

5 hours ago, aaid said:

I am a believer in democracy, I’m not a believer in mob rule. 

Mob rule? Not sure the majority ofvyhe electorate being against something is mob rule? If MSPs weren't whipped I highly doubt this would have gone through. I know this isn't unusual but on a an issue as serious as this, having MSPs whipped to vote with the party doesn't seem right. Can hardly take the moral highground on what's democratic when you've ejected MSPs too scared to vote  with their own convictions.

Edited by Squirrelhumper