Indyref 2 (2) - Page 61 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Alex Salmond could make a start by resigning from the Privy Council

It's an idea aaid, but I'm not sure if it would create the same interest in the international media as a symbolic  delaying delivery of the stone of destiny to Westminster?  Can't imagine Nick Ferrari building a show around it on LBC for example "Alex Salmond has resigned from the Privy Council over some Scottish issue or other, the lines are open!"

But at least it's an idea and I'm all for that. 👍

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why do you say he is no longer a monarchist? What evidence is there to show that he ever was a monarchist? I would be interested to read about what is in the public domain about his views on the monarchy. 

Here you go

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/wintour-and-watt/2011/may/25/alexsalmond-queen

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It is 100% compared to Labour. Labour have already categorically stated where they stand on Scottish independence. No referendum on their watch.

Of course but you’ve not answered the question, unless you’re expecting independence voters to just keep voting for the snp.

When I said people might just vote labour eventually, that’s because they’ve gotten fed up been led up the garden path by snp asking for mandate after mandate, not because they think voting labour will get them Indy 

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Of course but you’ve not answered the question, unless you’re expecting independence voters to just keep voting for the snp.

When I said people might just vote labour eventually, that’s because they’ve gotten fed up been led up the garden path by snp asking for mandate after mandate, not because they think voting labour will get them Indy 

Sorry I do not buy that. If you want something you do what is best to acheive that goal no matter how fed up you get. It is akin to saying when world war two was going Germany's way people did not give up and decide to fight for Germany. Of course not.

Sounds to me like you are advocating SNP announcing a referendum without permission. That would acheive nothing as even a Yes vote would not see Scotland recognized as an independent country in the eyes of the world. Same as declaring independence right now.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry I do not buy that. If you want something you do what is best to acheive that goal no matter how fed up you get. It is akin to saying when world war two was going Germany's way people did not give up and decide to fight for Germany. Of course not.

Sounds to me like you are advocating SNP announcing a referendum without permission. That would acheive nothing as even a Yes vote would not see Scotland recognized as an independent country in the eyes of the world. Same as declaring independence right now.

World war 2? 😂😂😂 ffs alright then. 

Without permission? From who?

I’m not advocating anything in particular at this stage, only pointing out that some voters might get fed up voting snp without any progress on independence.

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

World war 2? 😂😂😂 ffs alright then. 

Without permission? From who?

I’m not advocating anything in particular at this stage, only pointing out that some voters might get fed up voting snp without any progress on independence.

Look anyone with a working brain cell could tell you that if you want independence you vote accordingly for SNP or if you so wish Alba or Scottish Greens. If you vote elsewhere then your commitment to independence is not there.

What I don't get is what you think the SNP can do that they haven't already done to hasten independence?

Ans, though I certainly do not like it, the permission has to come from Westminster such is this dictatorial union we are chained in.

Folk are beginning  to lose faith in the snp, especially those more engaged in politics,, I am done voting snp while sturgeon is in change although I am still a member. She and others still in the party stitched up salmond so he wouldn’t come back, had his character not been assassinated this is when he would have came back 

1 minute ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Folk are beginning  to lose faith in the snp, especially those more engaged in politics,, I am done voting snp while sturgeon is in change although I am still a member. She and others still in the party stitched up salmond so he wouldn’t come back, had his character not been assassinated this is when he would have came back 

Yesterday's man doing his best to appear relevant.  We've seen this happen with Sillars.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What I don't get is what you think the SNP can do that they haven't already done to hasten independence?

Ans, though I certainly do not like it, the permission has to come from Westminster such is this dictatorial union we are chained in.

And that’s why people will eventually get bored or frustrated etc and vote elsewhere or just not vote at all. Especially when it’s vote for us to get independence election after election 

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

And that’s why people will eventually get bored or frustrated etc and vote elsewhere or just not vote at all. Especially when it’s vote for us to get independence election after election 

Nothing can be done about that by any of the pro-independence parties. Just as pro-unionists parties cannot stop disenchanted Scots voting for a pro-independence party for the first time.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Nothing can be done about that by any of the pro-independence parties. Just as pro-unionists parties cannot stop disenchanted Scots voting for a pro-independence party for the first time.

So just wait for the Tories to allow another referendum? Solid plan. 

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe the SNP need to decide what they actually want, a party to mange a devolved Scotland or a party that can achieve independence. 

TBF they've been trying to do both for over 15 years now, a pretty difficult/ impossible juggling act and the cracks are starting to appear.

11 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Do what Homer suggested in the Simpsons episode when he went back to college, hide under some coats and hope it all works out. 

I'm all for alternative ideas, the reality is that there is no ideal option and the alternatives which have been suggested are at various levels of stupidity and the level of support for independence in the country is nowhere near big enough to justify taking them.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

TBF they've been trying to do both for over 15 years now, a pretty difficult/ impossible juggling act and the cracks are starting to appear.

Maybe Nicola Sturgeon is fighting a losing game here.  All governments get to the point when they are tired and running out of new ideas.

Maybe it needs a period of opposition for those on the Independence side to realise what arseholes they've been in their actions.

People should be very careful what they wish for.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

People who truly want independence will never vote for a unionist party. And if they do then they are not truly committed to independence. We have heard Starmer's stance on Scottish independence - he says GTF.

you spout a lot of rubbish.  Constitution is only one policy item.  What about those who might want independence but despise every other snp policy.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Maybe Nicola Sturgeon is fighting a losing game here.  All governments get to the point when they are tired and running out of new ideas.

Maybe it needs a period of opposition for those on the Independence side to realise what arseholes they've been in their actions.

Alex Salmond had the luxury of running a government after what seemed like an eternity of Labour, it was a refreshing change and helped increase support for independence.

Nicola Sturgeon has had to deal with the aftermath of the referendum . She is getting pulled in every direction on independence whilst at the same time trying to run the country on a coalition government .

Usually a government gets one half of the media on their side. She gets nothing whilst the opposition gets everything . I don’t think people realise how difficult it is. 
If pro union parties get voted in here they will be given every help to help stamp out independence for good and any of their cock ups and crap policies swept right under the carpet. People really should be careful what they wish for. 

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

If pro union parties get voted in here they will be given every help to help stamp out independence for good and any of their cock ups and crap policies swept right under the carpet. People really should be careful what they wish for. 

And the "domestic" agenda with Brexit and then COVID haven't exactly been easy and straightforwards either.

Malcolm If a person truly wants independence you vote for a pro-independence party that best suits your needs. In any case your very best chance of ridding yourself of the SNP and their policies is for independence to come about. Thereafter the political landscape will change greatly. No independence and you have a status quo and you are stuck with SNP policies.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, aaid said:

shes never had any ideas, thats the problem