Indyref 2 (2) - Page 27 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the Sunday Show on BBC One earlier.   Bearing in mind that it is a long standing policy in the BBC's editorial guidelines that they do not cover the details of any single opinion poll - unless its considered that there are some "special circumstances - they had a five minute interview on the Redfield Wilton poll from last week.

I thought that the pollster, Mark Diffley, did a very good job of covering the poll and was suitably nuanced around "what does it tell us".  However, the editorial tone that Martin Geissler - who I generally think is a decent enough interviewer - was pushing was "The SNP won't win a defacto referendum" which I thikn tells its own story.

5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

That's your Mandy Rhodes there, writing her usual "what I want to have happened, not what actually happened".

The truth here. Nicola Sturgeon hasn't said anything different to what she's been saying since day one.

The danger to women comes from predatory men and not the trans community.  If there are bad faith actors then you deal with them, you don't discriminate against the entire community.  The GRA bill does nothing which enables men to gain access to single sex spaces.  

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Seemingly, Starmer is putting faith in promising to give more devolved powers to Scotland (no referendum though) and thinks that will appease Scots and cool the call for independence. Deluded fool.

Well we struggle to consistently get over 50 percent in the polls so perhaps more devolved powers might sway enough scots(5-10%) into sticking with the union for another generation. 

If we cant get ppl to stick an x in a box then why should we be getting full independence. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well we struggle to consistently get over 50 percent in the polls so perhaps more devolved powers might sway enough scots(5-10%) into sticking with the union for another generation. 

If we cant get ppl to stick an x in a box then why should we be getting full independence. 

Yes I get all that.

Look I can't change idiots from preferring life chained to a foreign government but as I have said before this union is dying. The unionists are the last to accept it. The halcyon days of 85 to 90% of Scots being happy unionists have long since gone never to return and they have no way of reversing the trend of support for independence. Who knows? It may not come in my lifetime but I am sure it will. 

The pure shite from the unionist papers down south is pure delusion. I've seen a couple of them (Mail and Telegraph I think) pedalling deluded  crap thinking Sturgeon is the only Scot pushing for independence. They are trying to paint the Supreme Court ruling as the end of Sturgeon and the end of the matter. Are they seriously that deluded? Sturgeon could quit tomorrow as FM but whoever takes over is still going to be pushing all out for independence.

35 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The pure shite from the unionist papers down south is pure delusion. I've seen a couple of them (Mail and Telegraph I think) pedalling deluded  crap thinking Sturgeon is the only Scot pushing for independence. They are trying to paint the Supreme Court ruling as the end of Sturgeon and the end of the matter. Are they seriously that deluded? Sturgeon could quit tomorrow as FM but whoever takes over is still going to be pushing all out for independence.

These papers, the Mail in particular, only ever publish what their readership want to hear , regardless of how little truth there is. It was  actually comical seeing The Mail slever over every new PM like they were the second coming of Christ, only to stick the boot in when it went pear shaped.
The fact they continue to discuss independence shows they are worried. 

42 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

These papers, the Mail in particular, only ever publish what their readership want to hear , regardless of how little truth there is. It was  actually comical seeing The Mail slever over every new PM like they were the second coming of Christ, only to stick the boot in when it went pear shaped.
The fact they continue to discuss independence shows they are worried. 

Exactly, newspapers follow public opinion more than they guide it - although there is often a positive feedback loop.

21 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Exactly, newspapers follow public opinion more than they guide it - although there is often a positive feedback loop.

If that were true, there wouldn’t only be one title in Scotland that was pro-Indy. 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

That might happen elsewhere but not in Scotland

Every one of them (afaik) is owned by London/English companies

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The National is pro-independence.

That’s the only one I’m talking about. 

On the pro-union side, which covers a scales of “we have the odd Indy columnist” to “hang, draw and quarter Nicola Sturgeon” you got the following dailies.

Daily Record
Scottish Sun
Herald
Scotsman
Courier
P&J
Scottish Daily Express
Scottish Daily Mail
Times
Telegraph
Guardian

On the pro-Indy side, there’s the National, which is every bit as biased as the pro-Union ones.  There’s no genuinely neutral paper. 

19 minutes ago, aaid said:

That’s the only one I’m talking about. 

On the pro-union side, which covers a scales of “we have the odd Indy columnist” to “hang, draw and quarter Nicola Sturgeon” you got the following dailies.

Daily Record
Scottish Sun
Herald
Scotsman
Courier
P&J
Scottish Daily Express
Scottish Daily Mail
Times
Telegraph
Guardian

On the pro-Indy side, there’s the National, which is every bit as biased as the pro-Union ones.  There’s no genuinely neutral paper. 

Some are definitely worse than others. Mail and Express are off the scale. On the other side The National is too but at least it doesn’t pretend to be neutral and calls itself a pro independence paper. 

Heard the end of Gordon Brown on Radio Scotland a short time ago with his most recent attempt to sell increased devolution. Reminded me of Billy Graham with his ‘ this will make the UK a paradise where we can all love each other’ pish. Guy is deluded if he thinks people will buy his crap again, and if they do then more fool them .

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

That might happen elsewhere but not in Scotland

Every one of them (afaik) is owned by London/English companies

Wanted to say something similar. UK newspapers do cater to public opinion,  in the same way that UK Westminster governments respond to public opinion. It's just that public they are listening to and catering mainly lives in England (specifically South-East England?)

1 hour ago, AlfieMoon said:

People will buy into Labour abolishing the House of Lords. Good play from them. 

They've been promising to abolish the Lords since 1900 ffs.  They're already rowing back on this latest iteration.

Labour are pro-brexit, anti EU membership, anti indy, anti indyref2, anti FoM, anti single market, anti customs union.  They're just a slightly less right wing new Tory party. Starmer can fuck right off and take his vile hypocritical party with him.  They offer nothing to Scotland.  I'd like to see Anus Sarwar asked whether he supports that list of policies?  Does he back brexit now?  That issue, and the others, should be weaponised at every election - the only parties that want Scotland to be involved in Europe, whether EU or EFTA, are the indy parties.  Hammer that home again and again.  Labour offers Scotland nothing but a pinker shade of slavery.