Indyref 2 (2) - Page 19 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

58 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont believe people would be turned off because of who is delivering the message. Probably wont convince a strong unionist but I doubt anyone would.

Nor do I, but you can't deny that someone who is unpopular will struggle to even get people to listen.  Can you honestly say that you paid attention to what Boris Johnson or Liz Truss said and tried to understand the point they were making or did you just turn off.  I know I did.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pure meat and bones of gaining independence is encouraging the don't knows and undecideds and some soft nos.

Lets say Salmond was invited to take a more frontal position in the Yes movement can you imagine the unionist-biased media? And the unionist mp's within Better Together 2 and unionist backers? I guarantee his background (sex case and Russian media involvement) would be rolled out right away. All the will in the world then would not persuade those don't knows, undecided and don't nos to vote yes.

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

Nor do I, but you can't deny that someone who is unpopular will struggle to even get people to listen.  Can you honestly say that you paid attention to what Boris Johnson or Liz Truss said and tried to understand the point they were making or did you just turn off.  I know I did.

Yes, I did too, but that is because I will never ever believe in Tory ideals . 
So , on the flip side., I am not suggesting AS would win over firm unionists, that would be an utter waste of time, but there are plenty of others on the fence and I think it’s foolish just to discount they would not have an interest in what he says as he is unpopular. Yes, it would be more difficult to sell than a popular person, but NS is unpopular with loads of folk too. 

Remember Tommy Sheridan; in 2014 he was a passionate speaker who helped articulate pro-indy arguments, and rouse crowds, but of the already converted, and not part of the official campaign and probably unlikely to convert many Nos to Yeses.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The pure meat and bones of gaining independence is encouraging the don't knows and undecideds and some soft nos.

Lets say Salmond was invited to take a more frontal position in the Yes movement can you imagine the unionist-biased media? And the unionist mp's within Better Together 2 and unionist backers? I guarantee his background (sex case and Russian media involvement) would be rolled out right away. All the will in the world then would not persuade those don't knows, undecided and don't nos to vote yes.

I dont think he should be front and centre, I dont think anyone is. But his input and experience could be invaluable. 

Just now, TDYER63 said:

I dont think he should be front and centre, I dont think anyone is. But his input and experience could be invaluable. 

Like I said, what we need is to win over don't nos/undecided and soft no's and Salmond's involvement would be manner from heaven for the unionist side in pointing out his past and the gullible will lap it up.

I would definitely say unity is needed and SNP and Alba need to stop these petty shit throwing at each other - both do it. It is not what the independence movement needs. It needs a united front with all parties that support independence working as one to the same end goal. Party politics and past bitterness and battles need putting to one side. If not I do not hold much hope for a Yes vote.

8 minutes ago, exile said:

Remember Tommy Sheridan; in 2014 he was a passionate speaker who helped articulate pro-indy arguments, and rouse crowds, but of the already converted, and not part of the official campaign and probably unlikely to convert many Nos to Yeses.

Perhaps that could be his role. He is undoubtedly passionate and that rousing passion could be transferred to others with no direct involvement by Salmond to the voters. But would he settle for that ? 
On the other side, anyone on the independence side who becomes sniffy about someone who almost delivered independence from a very low base maybe needs to reconsider just how much they want it. 

Can't disagree with any of this

I have always said the time for kicking the can down the road was over and my faith in the SNP was wavering but still gave them the benefit of the doubt

https://wingsoverscotland.com/but-not-yet-lord/

42 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Can't disagree with any of this

I have always said the time for kicking the can down the road was over and my faith in the SNP was wavering but still gave them the benefit of the doubt

https://wingsoverscotland.com/but-not-yet-lord/

I lost faith in them long ago. It's obvious they've been totally infiltrated by careerists that like their salaries and expense accounts too much while they just have to blame the Tories for everything.  They're more than happy with their position as the dominant political force at both UK and Scottish level and are content to let the short money from Westminster roll into the party coffers.

The SNP are now the biggest barrier to Scottish independence.  I'm amazed folk haven't woken up to the perpetual can-kicking.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Salmond will be back stage in any second referendum. There's no chance he'll be part of any official united Yes group. He'll be on the Hope Over Fear stage etc with Sheridan and so.

I agree. I think he'll play more of a 'backroom' presence. He'll still give speeches and low-key interviews that will encourage Indy activists and his admirers, but it will be up to fresh spokespeople--that haven't yet been tarred by our wonderful media--to put forward the main messages for an independent Scotland (maybe even nicking some of Alex's best lines in the process? 😉 But I'm sure he won't mind if this time we win the damn thing).

17 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I lost faith in them long ago. It's obvious they've been totally infiltrated by careerists that like their salaries and expense accounts too much while they just have to blame the Tories for everything.  They're more than happy with their position as the dominant political force at both UK and Scottish level and are content to let the short money from Westminster roll into the party coffers.

The SNP are now the biggest barrier to Scottish independence.  I'm amazed folk haven't woken up to the perpetual can-kicking.

I've lost count on the number of referendums they've promised and failed to deliver on, whilst otherwise doing next to nothing in regards to campaigning and drumming up support amongst the public.

Just vote for us at the next one... And the next one, and by the way if you don't vote for us you don't support independence 

11 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Perpetual can kicking? There hasnt been time to kick the can, we are only 8 years on from the first indy ref. Did you expect the snp to announce another referendum 1 or 2 years after the first? What would you like them to do that they havent done already? 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Perpetual can kicking? There hasnt been time to kick the can, we are only 8 years on from the first indy ref. Did you expect the snp to announce another referendum 1 or 2 years after the first? What would you like them to do that they havent done already? 

You've seen the big graphic of all The National front pages promising a referendum and how it's on its way, right?

Don't ask me what I'd do.  Ask your guru why she hasn't done what she said SHE would do.

Just found it...

indypishsupertall2a.jpg

1 minute ago, Freeedom said:

I've lost count on the number of referendums they've promised and failed to deliver on, whilst otherwise doing next to nothing in regards to campaigning and drumming up support amongst the public.

Just vote for us at the next one... And the next one, and by the way if you don't vote for us you don't support independence 

Eh? When have they promised a referendum and not delivered it?

As i said countless times on here, the prospect of another referendum a few years after the first one was never going to happen and i cant ever remember the snp asking for one or suggesting one takes place. Brexit happened and 8 years have passed which has given the nationalist movement and the snp the opportunity to push for another referendum. No one in the snp has been promising countless referendums.

Grouse beater 

“”Anger In Scotland as Wales sets up public energy firm 

Ministers aare under fire for costing Scotland billions of pounds in failing to set up a publicly-owned energy company because it did not have the powers - while Wales forges ahead with a similar not-for-profit plan.””

It’s one of the bizarrest policy back tracks I can remember in the snp. Why the feck did they pull back from it, they could have said it was put on hold due to covid.

4 hours ago, aaid said:

That’s her, you can go and ask her all about me if you want. 

So let me guess, you seen her posting a guy from down the roads two union jacks when the queen died? Well that lad was a massive nationalist. The flag poles always have a saltires on them. I haven’t spoke to him in a fair while so unsure if the current snp have changed him

3 minutes ago, daviebee said:

You've seen the big graphic of all The National front pages promising a referendum and how it's on its way, right?

Don't ask me what I'd do.  Ask your guru why she hasn't done what she said SHE would do.

Just found it...

indypishsupertall2a.jpg

They applied for another referendum. You not been watching the news?

It was denied by the supreme court. Most of those headlines are in line with the idea of a 2023 referendum and the 2021 manifesto.

Look buddy i am guessing your a fully grown man. If you want to vent your anger at not getting indy ref 2 then focus it on the weakness of the scottish ppl rather than blaming a woman who has been campaigning for independence since she was 16. 

The snp havent been promising referendums. They have suggested that one takes place in 2023 and had it in their 2021 manifesto. There might be snp soundbites prior to 2018/19 of indyref 2 but suggesting they have been promising one for years on end is bullshit. 

The idea of having another referendum 4 or 5 years after the first one is madness and totally unrealistic. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

They applied for another referendum. You not been watching the news?

It was denied by the supreme court. Most of those headlines are in line with the idea of a 2023 referendum and the 2021 manifesto.

Look buddy i am guessing your a fully grown man. If you want to vent your anger at not getting indy ref 2 then focus it on the weakness of the scottish ppl rather than blaming a woman who has been campaigning for independence since she was 16. 

The snp havent been promising referendums. They have suggested that one takes place in 2023 and had it in their 2021 manifesto. There might be snp soundbites prior to 2018/19 of indyref 2 but suggesting they have been promising one for years on end is bullshit. 

The idea of having another referendum 4 or 5 years after the first one is madness and totally unrealistic. 

Plus lets not forget they asked for Section 30 in 2017 only for May to say now is not the time and pretty sure question was asked again of Boris the Clown and he gave a similar reply.

24 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So let me guess, you seen her posting a guy from down the roads two union jacks when the queen died? Well that lad was a massive nationalist. The flag poles always have a saltires on them. I haven’t spoke to him in a fair while so unsure if the current snp have changed him

I don’t know anything about that.  It all seems to be stuff to do with her various business ventures and pictures of dogs. 

38 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Grouse beater 

“”Anger In Scotland as Wales sets up public energy firm 

Ministers aare under fire for costing Scotland billions of pounds in failing to set up a publicly-owned energy company because it did not have the powers - while Wales forges ahead with a similar not-for-profit plan.””

It’s one of the bizarrest policy back tracks I can remember in the snp. Why the feck did they pull back from it, they could have said it was put on hold due to covid.

They havent set it up though

They are planning to ....

Scotland planned to as well

Does Wales have more powers than Scotland

The article by the Colonialist Herald is ...a lie

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Plus lets not forget they asked for Section 30 in 2017 only for May to say now is not the time and pretty sure question was asked again of Boris the Clown and he gave a similar reply.

The snp have done everything they possibly could.

The anti snp brigade need to stop the false narrative that they have been promising indyref2 for years on end. I know ppl look for something or someone to blame but its annoying that ppl want to throw sturgeon under the bus because the scottish ppl wont take charge of their country. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

The snp have done everything they possibly could.

The anti snp brigade need to stop the false narrative that they have been promising indyref2 for years on end. I know ppl look for something or someone to blame but its annoying that ppl want to throw sturgeon under the bus because the scottish ppl wont take charge of their country. 

Yes and those from rabid Salmond fans - a man incidentally that got one referendum in about 20 years of leadership and only then because Cameron was pliable enough to permit it.