Indyref 2 (2) - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

8 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I understand why they did it but I don’t think the snp immediately banging the drum for a second referendum following the no vote 2014 was helpful. 

Not sure how they progress from here either. 

I am thinking you are confused and you are speaking about after the Brexit vote as there was certainly no banging of the drum after 2014 result. All that happened was Salmond resigned and there was a fair few months of upheaval so no time for any drum beating. That started after the Brexit result - as it should have.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am thinking you are confused and you are speaking about after the Brexit vote as there was certainly no banging of the drum after 2014 result. All that happened was Salmond resigned and there was a fair few months of upheaval so no time for any drum beating. That started after the Brexit result - as it should have.

2017 General Election

Looks like a lot of people are forgetting what happened there including Wings

3 hours ago, Dave78 said:

You're either misremembering, or buying into Brit nationalist propaganda.

In the immediate aftermath, Sturgeon said there'd only be indyref2 if Yes consistently polled at least 60%, OR there was a material change in the circumstances from indyref1.

Like Brexit, only she spent 3 years trying to overturn the democratic vote down south.  Had she succeeded it would've made independence even LESS likely.  Still, you've got folk saying that oor Nikla's "played a blinder" by going to the UKSC.  Not sure WTF you can do with folk that can't see that The Empress is walking around stark fkin naked.

51 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Like Brexit, only she spent 3 years trying to overturn the democratic vote down south.  Had she succeeded it would've made independence even LESS likely.  Still, you've got folk saying that oor Nikla's "played a blinder" by going to the UKSC.  Not sure WTF you can do with folk that can't see that The Empress is walking around stark fkin naked.

What would you have done differently then?

59 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Again - the 2017 General Election right after Brexit threw an almighty quisling spanner in the works

If you dont remember the SNP lost 21 seats

The question of a proposed Scottish independence referendum was also thought likely to influence the campaign in Scotland. On 28 March 2017, the Scottish Parliament approved a motion requesting that Westminster pass a Section 30 order giving the Parliament the authority to hold a second independence referendum,[153] suggesting that there had been a "material change of circumstances" since the independence referendum in 2014 as a result of Britain's vote to leave the EU and Scotland's vote to remain.[154] The SNP hoped to hold a second independence referendum once the Brexit terms a were clear but before Britain left the EU; May said her government would not approve an independence referendum before Brexit negotiations had finished.[155] After the final results were announced the SNP had lost 13% of the Scottish vote and one third of their seats - leading Sturgeon to conclude that, "Undoubtedly the issue of an independence referendum was a factor in this election result, but I think there were other factors as well".[156]

8 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Again - the 2017 General Election right after Brexit threw an almighty quisling spanner in the works

If you dont remember the SNP lost 21 seats

The question of a proposed Scottish independence referendum was also thought likely to influence the campaign in Scotland. On 28 March 2017, the Scottish Parliament approved a motion requesting that Westminster pass a Section 30 order giving the Parliament the authority to hold a second independence referendum,[153] suggesting that there had been a "material change of circumstances" since the independence referendum in 2014 as a result of Britain's vote to leave the EU and Scotland's vote to remain.[154] The SNP hoped to hold a second independence referendum once the Brexit terms a were clear but before Britain left the EU; May said her government would not approve an independence referendum before Brexit negotiations had finished.[155] After the final results were announced the SNP had lost 13% of the Scottish vote and one third of their seats - leading Sturgeon to conclude that, "Undoubtedly the issue of an independence referendum was a factor in this election result, but I think there were other factors as well".[156]

Well as I remember that time posters on here were yelling for more. There were calls for extreme measures such as UDI so cannot see what posters here really wanted? Too little action and the SG was lambasted and asking for a referendum was wrong too. 

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Aye that's right, I'd have done absolutely nothing.  🙄  And it still would've been better than what L Ron Sturgeon had to offer.

Yeah, the "stop brexit" campaign was a disgrace. The people voted for it so that's what they should have got, to deny the democratic will of the people was hypocrisy of the highest order from Sturgeon

1 minute ago, Freeedom said:

Yeah, the "stop brexit" campaign was a disgrace. The people voted for it so that's what they should have got, to deny the democratic will of the people was hypocrisy of the highest order from Sturgeon

Do you not think it was poorly worded rather than hypocritical? 

4 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

It isn't what the people of Scotland voted for.

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It isn't what the people of Scotland voted for.

Exactly. I'll never forgive the english electorate for taking my/our EU citizenship off me/us against my/our will and tbh I'm struggling to accept the Scot Gov/SNP have seemingly done nothing about it. 

Edited by Bzzzz

35 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Exactly. I'll never forgive the english electorate for taking my/our EU citizenship off me/us against my/our will and tbh I'm struggling to accept the Scot Gov/SNP have seemingly done nothing about it. 

What do you want them to do about it?

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Again - Brexit in 2016 may have been the material change in circumstances for another referendum however as the General Election in 2017 showed if we had went for it we would have lost

What you should be struggling to accept is that the Scottish Electorate have done nothing about it and are still voting for Unionist parties in large numbers

Is it any wonder the SNP have kicked the can down the road after the humiliation of the 2017 General election ?

I have said for yonks that the only way those against Independence might wise up is to suffer the pain of leaving the EU because they havent until now

Nicola Sturgeon does not want to have another referendum where Yes would lose whilst also respecting the electorate's wishes from 2014 onwards

Those in Alba should consider that

11 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

No, it was hypocritical. She campaigned to keep the UK in the EU despite the vote to leave

So you think the Scottish Government should accept outcomes which Scotland hasn’t voted for but England has?

Backtracking already.  Mhairi Hunter, one of Sturgeon's go-to sh*t deflectors doing a bit of kite-flying.  So we've gone from a "no ifs, no buts" referendum on 19th October next year to "the next general election will be a plebiscite and if you just all vote for us again it won't be a vote for independence as such, but we'll ask nicely if we can have a referendum."

Good to see Nikla will be having a chat about things with her colleagues sometime next year.  I thought given the urgency of the situation that these discussions would be happening this weekend at the very latest.  Seemingly not though.  Let's hope not too many folk die of the cold in the most energy-rich country in Europe in the meantime.

image.thumb.png.d4096b69f98dfa4c7cb49e1ec48f8461.png

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

As much as I dislike brexit, it is the will of the people so we are stuck with it.  It was a UK wide vote.

All these brexit voters should be the last to complain about impending poverty as they voted for it.  

Fuck off

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

So you think the Scottish Government should accept outcomes which Scotland hasn’t voted for but England has?

I think she should have accepted the result of the brexit vote and reignited the campaign for independence on the back of that vote, NOT campaigned to overturn the result.

The lack of self awareness on her part was shocking