Indyref 2 (2) - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Really shocking journalism in the media regarding the wealthy paying for nhs charges in Scotland, it has been completely squashed by the snp however they are still running with it. Reminds me on 2014 

Not a surpise at all given that the Supreme Court decision is coming on Wednesday so the yoons have to sling the crap just in case.

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Really shocking journalism in the media regarding the wealthy paying for nhs charges in Scotland, it has been completely squashed by the snp however they are still running with it. Reminds me on 2014 

15 hours ago, aaid said:

Saw this on Reddit earlier. It's mad to think they just put the exact same thing out. Is this what we are in for again? If it is I hope they do this shit and we can just knock it down instantly. 

Honestly don't know how I feel going into tomorrow. I think it may be too soon to go for independence again. If they make a mess of it then it's over for another 20-30 years easily 

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Saw this on Reddit earlier. It's mad to think they just put the exact same thing out. Is this what we are in for again? If it is I hope they do this shit and we can just knock it down instantly. 

Honestly don't know how I feel going into tomorrow. I think it may be too soon to go for independence again. If they make a mess of it then it's over for another 20-30 years easily 

i am completely the same, i do not trust the competence of sturgeons political savvy, not including salmond and is a huge mistake, an independent Scotland would need him in its initial phase. We fuck this up and thats it for 20 years at least. i actually think we would lose a referendum at present 

54 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i am completely the same, i do not trust the competence of sturgeons political savvy, not including salmond and is a huge mistake, an independent Scotland would need him in its initial phase. We fuck this up and thats it for 20 years at least. i actually think we would lose a referendum at present 

Yeah I'm not confident we would win either. And tbh I've not got the heart and fight to be as proactive as last time I don't think. Probably because I don't think we can win it just now 

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

The mood of the media makes me think the Supreme Court will 'allow' a referendum; we're moving back into the scare campaign of 2014. In theory it should be easier to counter it this time, due to the 'fool me once' principle - especially when it comes to issues around being more secure within the UK; however the SNP haven't had amazing campaigns (at least at a national level) since Salmond resigned.

On independence, they've avoided discussing too much about the subject. They have to be ready for a campaign if they're going to hold a referendum. Unless something drastically different happens in an independence campaign from the recent SNP campaigns, we'll only win a referendum by accident (or rather, the UK will lose the referendum).

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I believe we can win a campaign, but I felt more confident in 2014 under Salmond's leadership than I do now - despite being along way behind in the polls for most of the campaign and the events which have occurred since.

2 hours ago, Kirk said:

Yeah I'm not confident we would win either. And tbh I've not got the heart and fight to be as proactive as last time I don't think. Probably because I don't think we can win it just now 

i think that’s a pretty accurate view.  I think there are a number of factors at play, the snp have backed a number of policies that make “moderate” voters not trust them.  I also think that whilst Nicola is respected, she doesn’t have the same likability or charisma as salmond did  in 2014.  Finally, the timing is not good, with war and economic depression…. People feel the need for security of the status quo and fear change.

the time to have done this was immediately on the back of Brexit referendum.

31 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

i think that’s a pretty accurate view.  I think there are a number of factors at play, the snp have backed a number of policies that make “moderate” voters not trust them.  I also think that whilst Nicola is respected, she doesn’t have the same likability or charisma as salmond did  in 2014.  Finally, the timing is not good, with war and economic depression…. People feel the need for security of the status quo and fear change.

the time to have done this was immediately on the back of Brexit referendum.

You are seriously deluded. Salmond likeable and charismatic? FFS look at all polls in recent times to see that he was even more disliked in Scotland than Boris Johnson. That is some going. In 2014 so many people I know voted No purely for their dislike of him.

He had traits I admired but the total package on votability was a vote killer.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You are seriously deluded. Salmond likeable and charismatic? FFS look at all polls in recent times to see that he was even more disliked in Scotland than Boris Johnson. That is some going. In 2014 so many people I know voted No purely for their dislike of him.

Likeable enough to win a majority in holyrood, something only he has achieved

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Likeable enough to win a majority in holyrood, something only he has achieved

Lets be honest - and the same does apply to Sturgeon. People voting for SNP do it for the cause generally rather than not vote for unionist parties. It is akin to the Tories down south who people still vote for regardless of who is in charge because majority down south do not trust Labour.

17 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

recent times polls will include the view of him now which for obvious reasons is tainted.  Cast your mind back to 2014.  Yes, there was an arrogance about salmond, but also a swagger and inspirational  personality.  Nicola is viewed as dour.

Anyway, it’s minor compared to other points. 

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

recent times polls will include the view of him now which for obvious reasons is tainted.  Cast your mind back to 2014.  Yes, there was an arrogance about salmond, but also a swagger and inspirational  personality.  Nicola is viewed as dour.

As I say I know of many who voted No because of Salmond. Sure amongst those of us pushing for Yes he was popular back then - he had to be to make Yes palatible for them. The Yes movement will invariably back who is pushing hardest for it. Just like today Tory voters (despite years of incompetence) still stand by their party and leaders. It is the way of the world.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Agreed, we need a hybrid. And quick.