Indyref 2 (2) - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting polling here, looking at the views of the four UK countries to Scottish Independence.  It’s a big sample for Scotland, 2000+.

While it uses a non-standard form to the independence question - a bit difficult to ask people in Wales how they’d vote - it translates to 54/46 Yes/No.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Some interesting polling here, looking at the views of the four UK countries to Scottish Independence.  It’s a big sample for Scotland, 2000+.

While it uses a non-standard form to the independence question - a bit difficult to ask people in Wales how they’d vote - it translates to 54/46 Yes/No.

Where does the 54/46 come from? Is that in answer to the question "Do you think the UK will, or will not, exist in its current form in five years time"?

If it is, then that's miles off measuring voting intention. I think it will still exist, but I'm not voting "NO", ever. 

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Where does the 54/46 come from? Is that in answer to the question "Do you think the UK will, or will not, exist in its current form in five years time"?

If it is, then that's miles off measuring voting intention. I think it will still exist, but I'm not voting "NO", ever. 

You need to look at the full report, but there’s a question in it which says “would you prefer that Scotland voted for independence or not”. That’s where the 54/46 split comes - for voters in Scotland, the view of the other three nations is unsurprisingly somewhat different. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

You need to look at the full report, but there’s a question in it which says “would you prefer that Scotland voted for independence or not”. That’s where the 54/46 split comes - for voters in Scotland, the view of the other three nations is unsurprisingly somewhat different. 

Ah OK, cheers. 

Just a coincidence that the answer to the other question, that I mentioned, seems to come out the same.

so the the autumn statements coming up, personally i see a vat rise, more tax on the north sea oil companies  and also wind generation. The Scottish government will need to play this right in a sense that they show a Westminster government that are not only incompetent but that we are having to pay more in tax and interest rates due to their incompetence. They need to put across that the wind fall tax is disproportionately in Scottish industry's and imply that we are paying for Westminster's incomitance through our natural recourses.. bad times ahead for the uk thats for sure  

10 hours ago, aaid said:

The full figures for Scotland were:

• 50% - I would prefer Scotland to vote for leaving the UK and becoming an independent country
  • 43% - I would prefer Scotland to vote against leaving the UK and becoming an independent country
  • 4% - Don't mind either way
  • 2% - Don't know

That's basically inline with Ipsos Mori's standard range of polls since the last UK general election (Yes shown first): May 22 (45-46), Feb 22 (50-43), Nov 21 (52-43), May 21 (47-47), Apr 21 (49-45), Feb 21 (48-44), Nov 20 (51-41), Oct 20 (52-39).

Interesting additional question:

And if Scotland leaves the UK and becomes an independent country, do you think that this will make the economies of England, Wales and Northern Ireland better off, worse off, or would it make no difference?

• England: Better 21%; No diff 31%; Worse 35%; DK 12%
  • Wales: Better 15%; No diff 35%; Worse 38%; DK 12%
  • NI: Better 12%; No diff 36%; Worse 41%; DK 11%
  • Scotland: Better 12%; No diff 34%; Worse 45%; DK 9%

Don't think I've seen a poll showing voters in the rUK think they would be economically worse off if Scotland became independent before.

12 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

And if Scotland leaves the UK and becomes an independent country, do you think that this will make the economies of England, Wales and Northern Ireland better off, worse off, or would it make no difference?

Don't think I've seen a poll showing voters in the rUK think they would be economically worse off if Scotland became independent before.

it will be starting to hit home that their energy security is massively dependent on Scotland with all thats happening with russia

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

it will be starting to hit home that their energy security is massively dependent on Scotland with all thats happening with russia

Good job the Scottish Government is on the case then. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-strathaven-first-minister-company-scottish-government-b1040391.html

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Doubt an echo chamber thread makes a difference 

In that case your post should have read  ‘ any point starting another thread when its an echo chamber’. Otherwise, as Craig says, there would be not much point starting any thread.

We hadnt qualified for a major competition for over 20 years so what was the point of all the threads in the TA section. What is the point of a Euros 24 thread, even if we qualify there is more chance of us winning independence than winning the Euros .

The thread may seem like an echo chamber to you but for people like myself who are not on other forms of social media it provides valuable information. Its a joke the other thread was pulled. 

I think there is a reasonable amount of debate on here , its not all one way, but I dont agree that, for example,  GRA should not be discussed on here. Its an important issue and when polling is on a knife edge anything subject that is controversial should be taken seriously. 

14 hours ago, Clyde1998 said:

Interesting results. There is a narrative from Unionist politicians that England subsidises Scotland and that is reinforced by years of media portrayal of Scots as feckless, alcohol addicted etc. Having lived in England most of my life I'm surprised more people in England don't think that England would be better off without us.