U21s vs Iceland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s vs Iceland

csinclair

32 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Did you watch the first half? Lowry and Barron very good and Smith played well too. Second half has been a different game. Disappointed with Hackney and Conway who are both regulars in championship down south and Morrison looked a bit poor with his distribution for a Bayern player 

I only saw the second half.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Marky said:

I only saw the second half but for me Doak looked like James Forrest. Lots of nice stuff on the wing and no final ball. 

Lowry???

Liam Morrison is Bayern Munich??

Wasn’t impressed with that team at all. 

First half Doak was very good, two great chances he should have scored with, great link up for the goal and two other lovely balls that someone should have scored from, second Haifa they doubled up on him so was quieter.

Lowry looks very skilful but very lightweight, looked to me he lacked a bit of appetite 

I only saw the first half but Scotland were well worth their lead. Barron, Hackney, Lowry and Connor Smith all impressed me and Doak was excellent; virtually unplayable. They could have gone in two or three in front and it wouldn't have flattered the.

What that dork Gemmill said to them at the break I don't know.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Let's hope your wrong about it being a preview of our future.Then again...it probably is.

The result is irrelevant at this age group, especially with the known deficiencies of the coach. 

It would not surprise me if we see a Scotland squad with 5 of these guys in it, say, 3 years from now. 

Doak is inevitable. Probably the most exciting winger to break through since Ryan Fraser. 

11 hours ago, Marky said:

I only saw the second half but for me Doak looked like James Forrest. Lots of nice stuff on the wing and no final ball. 

Lowry???

Liam Morrison is Bayern Munich??

Wasn’t impressed with that team at all. 

You serious? He set up numerous chances, including the goal. 

9 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

The result is irrelevant at this age group, especially with the known deficiencies of the coach. 

It would not surprise me if we see a Scotland squad with 5 of these guys in it, say, 3 years from now. 

Doak is inevitable. Probably the most exciting winger to break through since Ryan Fraser. 

He's miles ahead of where Fraser was at that age.

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

He's miles ahead of where Fraser was at that age.

Well Ryan Fraser was tearing up the SPFL at 18 and got a biggish move out of it. I was certainly excited by him. But, yes, you're right. Doak is not only younger but also showing outrageous levels of talent.

Going further back, Maloney was another. But he started out as a striker. I'm struggling to think of any other comparisons to Doak in the past decade.

A disappointing result but as another poster said, the result is less important than the progression of individuals at this age group. I think the team was set up poorly which didn't help. Lowry appeared to be playing on the left and so was somewhat peripheral but you could see he was the midfielder most likely to make a key pass. I thought playing him too distant from Barron compounded the issue - he needs a tenacious player beside him to help him because his first instinct is always to try something. Furthermore, the left back struggled a lot and without any kind of protection was often isolated.

Ben Doak, not much to add, a seriously impressive player for his age. His game last night was a lot about raw speed so I'd be concerned when he steps up that will be less effective, but perhaps he didn't use much else last night because he didn't have to. He beat his man more or less at will.

Connor Barron is one of the next kids to make a big move IMO. His workrate is unreal, he has quality on the ball and he looked like a leader on the park. He maybe needs to cool down a little, he's kind of early Scott Brown at the moment but a bit more skillful. 

Alex Lowry has unbelievable technique. He showed several moments of instant control that Ronaldinho himself would have been pleased with. Unfortunately he doesn't look like he works particularly hard, he is very lightweight and his decision making is poor (or at least was last night). If he can learn when to use his skills he could be excellent. A player in the mould of someone like Pirlo, although obviously I am not comparing his level to Pirlo at this point!

The team was missing a few very big players who I think probably would have started. Ramsay and Doig are the key ones, but also Leon King, Fiorini, Slicker and Anderson from Newcastle. It's crazy to think Hickey is still eligible and, unless I have got my dates wrong, I think Gilmour and Patterson too. I think from the age group 2001-2003 we could have one of our most successful development periods in recent history (Gilmour, Patterson, Doig, Hickey, Ramsay, Lowry, Morrison, Barron and others).

35 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

A disappointing result but as another poster said, the result is less important than the progression of individuals at this age group. I think the team was set up poorly which didn't help. Lowry appeared to be playing on the left and so was somewhat peripheral but you could see he was the midfielder most likely to make a key pass. I thought playing him too distant from Barron compounded the issue - he needs a tenacious player beside him to help him because his first instinct is always to try something. Furthermore, the left back struggled a lot and without any kind of protection was often isolated.

Ben Doak, not much to add, a seriously impressive player for his age. His game last night was a lot about raw speed so I'd be concerned when he steps up that will be less effective, but perhaps he didn't use much else last night because he didn't have to. He beat his man more or less at will.

Connor Barron is one of the next kids to make a big move IMO. His workrate is unreal, he has quality on the ball and he looked like a leader on the park. He maybe needs to cool down a little, he's kind of early Scott Brown at the moment but a bit more skillful. 

Alex Lowry has unbelievable technique. He showed several moments of instant control that Ronaldinho himself would have been pleased with. Unfortunately he doesn't look like he works particularly hard, he is very lightweight and his decision making is poor (or at least was last night). If he can learn when to use his skills he could be excellent. A player in the mould of someone like Pirlo, although obviously I am not comparing his level to Pirlo at this point!

The team was missing a few very big players who I think probably would have started. Ramsay and Doig are the key ones, but also Leon King, Fiorini, Slicker and Anderson from Newcastle. It's crazy to think Hickey is still eligible and, unless I have got my dates wrong, I think Gilmour and Patterson too. I think from the age group 2001-2003 we could have one of our most successful development periods in recent history (Gilmour, Patterson, Doig, Hickey, Ramsay, Lowry, Morrison, Barron and others).

If we had all players eligible for the u21s available last night, it would be a team good enough to compete in the SPFL. A fair few already regulars at their clubs, plus the likes of Doak and Lowry that add a bit of sparkle. 

This is the most promising group of players I've seen probably since the early 2000s when that batch of Hibs players broke through alongside McFadden, Gordon, Maloney, Hutton Fletcher etc. We had an impressive amount of talent emerge all over the space of 2 or 3 years. But then very little beyond that. An odd wave of talent that didn't persist.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Well Ryan Fraser was tearing up the SPFL at 18 and got a biggish move out of it. I was certainly excited by him. But, yes, you're right. Doak is not only younger but also showing outrageous levels of talent.

Going further back, Maloney was another. But he started out as a striker. I'm struggling to think of any other comparisons to Doak in the past decade.

Doak is like Ollie Burke - if Ollie Burke could play football!  😂

He's a really exciting young player.  Here's hoping he keeps getting better.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I think with the right coaching Lowry could ripen into a wonderful player.  His physicality doesn't worry me too much - he's quite tall and will surely fill out as he gets older.  He's very skilful and has great balance.

It's a pity he is at a club where you'd need a telescope to see how far winning things takes precedence over player development.  

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gemmill has to be sacked. These results are happening far too often.

The man is a professional loser.

You wonder what exactly he has to do to get fired.  He seems to have been in charge of the U21s forever and apart from taking them to a playoff - which they lost - and the occasional decent result, he has achieved nothing.

I see Tam Courts is out of a job now.  He's only young, so I don't know if he'd fancy taking on what is essentially a part-time role, but he was apparently very highly thought of when he was in charge of Dundee United's youth academy and he could surely eclipse the moribund Gemmill.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Doak is like Ollie Burke - if Ollie Burke could play football!  😂

He's a really exciting young player.  Here's hoping he keeps getting better.

I think with the right coaching Lowry could ripen into a wonderful player.  His physicality doesn't worry me too much - he's quite tall and will surely fill out as he gets older.  He's very skilful and has great balance.

It's a pity he is at a club where you'd need a telescope to see how far winning things takes precedence over player development.  

Burke skyrocketted up before we even got a chance to hype him. His speed is obviously his biggest asset. Where as Doak seems to have a hell of a lot of skill, with speed as a bonus.

I've not given up on Burke, or any other player, but Doak does appear right now to be in the Kieran Tierney bracket of talent. But in a position we are light!

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Gemmill has to be sacked. These results are happening far too often.

The man is a professional loser.

I get the feeling that the SFA keep blokes like Gemmill and Stark in j these jobs, just to keep the younger sides ticking over, in readiness of stepping up, rather than having any ambition of moulding a team and making them competitive/successful

22 hours ago, DOUBLE A said:

First half Doak was very good, two great chances he should have scored with, great link up for the goal and two other lovely balls that someone should have scored from, second Haifa they doubled up on him so was quieter.

Lowry looks very skilful but very lightweight, looked to me he lacked a bit of appetite 

a lad i work with out here in the north sea is a huge rangers man, seems to think lowry likes the bevy a bit much and has his attitude is not great,, maybe hear say but hope thats not the case

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You serious? He set up numerous chances, including the goal. 

Like I said, didn’t see the first half, so was only commenting on the second. 
He looked lively enough but didn’t see much end product. 

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

a lad i work with out here in the north sea is a huge rangers man, seems to think lowry likes the bevy a bit much and has his attitude is not great,, maybe hear say but hope thats not the case

Ive heard similar and also that he returned to pre season nearly a stone over weight which i find hard to believe given theres nothing too him but equally it doesnt look like he does any weight work at all which you would expect him to.

One things for sure, a player with his talent at a top academy in England would be ripped.

11 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I think last season Lowry was very impressive at Rangers. This season he's fallen out of favour, he has been injured and then out of action courtesy of a horrendous  cowardly challenge by Ally Love but if what you say is true that might also explain why he has been overlooked by GvB. Undoubtedly a very talented youngster, would be a shame if he threw it away.

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive heard similar and also that he returned to pre season nearly a stone over weight which i find hard to believe given theres nothing too him but equally it doesnt look like he does any weight work at all which you would expect him to.

One things for sure, a player with his talent at a top academy in England would be ripped.

And that's what makes football shit today. Muscly automatons = dull. Give me a skinny, skilful winger. I'd ban gyms. Awful invention. Seeing eejits in their skintight t-shirts stoating about, tattoos on display everywhere. 🤮 

Another reason modern life is rubbish. Never been in a gym, never will. Keep fit, go for a run. What's the benefit of gyms? Everyone looks the same - out of proportion "muscles", tattoos and no individuality.

3 minutes ago, duncan II said:

And that's what makes football shit today. Muscly automatons = dull. Give me a skinny, skilful winger. I'd ban gyms. Awful invention. Seeing eejits in their skintight t-shirts stoating about, tattoos on display everywhere. 🤮 

Another reason modern life is rubbish. Never been in a gym, never will. Keep fit, go for a run. What's the benefit of gyms? Everyone looks the same - out of proportion "muscles", tattoos and no individuality.

Were you born in 1835?