U21s vs Iceland

csinclair

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, csinclair said:

image.png.83aea52c6b25a6f9ec12e07db496189b.png

Got to say, that is probably the strongest looking u21s squad I've ever seen. 3 of those players have played in the champions league! And quite a few are already regulars with their clubs.

Also, as usual, the JD badges are wrong. It's starting to feel like someone has an agenda against the SFA performance schools. Lowry, King and Morrison all went to performance schools. Probably others that I'm not aware of as well.

Edited by Tartan blood

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Got to say, that is probably the strongest looking u21s squad I've ever seen. 3 of those players have played in the champions league! And quite a few are already regulars with their clubs.

Also, as usual, the JD badges are wrong. It's starting to feel like someone has an agenda against the SFA performance schools. Lowry, King and Morrison all went to performance schools. Probably others that I'm not aware of as well.

It's a bit weird, isn't it. It's their flagship programme and they seem incapable of getting it right on these sheets. 

16 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

It's a bit weird, isn't it. It's their flagship programme and they seem incapable of getting it right on these sheets. 

It's quite hard to keep track of who is and who isn't a PS student. Were Josh Doig and Leon King participants? I'm certain Morrison and Lowry were. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I was going to mention that myself; when was the last time we had a youth squad as strong as this?

A lot of those players aren't at the U21 age limit either: Anderson is 19, Doak is 16, King is 18, Lowry is 19, Ramsay is 19, etc. They have plenty of time to improve before they can no longer play for the U21s, especially if they're in and around the first teams at their respective clubs.

17 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I was going to mention that myself; when was the last time we had a youth squad as strong as this?

A lot of those players aren't at the U21 age limit either: Anderson is 19, Doak is 16, King is 18, Lowry is 19, Ramsay is 19, etc. They have plenty of time to improve before they can no longer play for the U21s, especially if they're in and around the first teams at their respective clubs.

Add in the fact that Gilmour, Patterson and Hickey are all eligible as well. That is a hell of a lot of talent in one age range. Mainly 18-21. Doak being the exception.

It's not out of the realms of possibility that up to 10 of those players will become full internationalists. I doubt you would get more than 2 or 3 from most past squads.

55 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

It's quite hard to keep track of who is and who isn't a PS student. Were Josh Doig and Leon King participants? I'm certain Morrison and Lowry were. 

Was Morrison not in the Celtic/St Ninians one? Lowry definitely attended the one in Motherwell.

39 minutes ago, ghorne67 said:

Was Morrison not in the Celtic/St Ninians one? Lowry definitely attended the one in Motherwell.

"And Morrison credits his time at the SFA Performance School at Grange Academy as being instrumental in his rapid progress." HERALD

Seems he was at Rangers originally, before going to Celtic. I think you still have a club team you play for whilst at the performance schools. Not exactly sure it works and how often he would have trained/played with Celtic whilst at the performance school.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Had to look up Hayden Hackney, no fuss calm type of midfielder has brocken through at Middlesbrough this season after a loan at Scunthorpe and really impressed, fans really like what they see.

He is indeed decent. Not difficult to stand out in a schit team who look like they’d rather be anywhere else, but when he’s come in he has looked good so far.

This really is an exciting time to be a Scotland fan and I honestly think if we can get a really good young goalie found this could be a great next 10 years or so for us 

First team doing better than they have for years recently qualified for our first major tournament, playing nations league group a, playing decent against good quality opposition, good average age, some really decent players in there, IMVHO good manager 

Youth team looks like they have some good potential players, some of our young players being courted by top european clubs, Italy has obviously taken notice and looking at players in our league 

I follow a twitter account called everything scotland (top account if you want to know how youngsters are doing) and some of the players we have in the youth teams in england and germany is really promising 

As i say if we can find this top goalie we could be a right good team for the next 10 years i hope and dream 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

This really is an exciting time to be a Scotland fan and I honestly think if we can get a really good young goalie found this could be a great next 10 years or so for us 

First team doing better than they have for years recently qualified for our first major tournament, playing nations league group a, playing decent against good quality opposition, good average age, some really decent players in there, IMVHO good manager 

Youth team looks like they have some good potential players, some of our young players being courted by top european clubs, Italy has obviously taken notice and looking at players in our league 

I follow a twitter account called everything scotland (top account if you want to know how youngsters are doing) and some of the players we have in the youth teams in england and germany is really promising 

As i say if we can find this top goalie we could be a right good team for the next 10 years i hope and dream 

This is where you want to be, very good players losing their place in a successful team to even better players. Fingers crossed this is what is going to happen. This is certainly the most optimistic I have been about the trajectory of Scottish (national) football more or less for my whole life.

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Unfortunately, they still have that useless fuckwit Gemmill managing them which will hold this age group back.

To be honest, how much of a player’s development comes from their national team under 21 coach? For most players, their career trajectory will depend on the players themselves, their clubs and maybe a wee bit of luck. Early days, but this age group looks so promising

23 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

To be honest, how much of a player’s development comes from their national team under 21 coach? For most players, their career trajectory will depend on the players themselves, their clubs and maybe a wee bit of luck. Early days, but this age group looks so promising

An underperforming and dysfunctional U21 team can sometimes have a negative impact how young players view international duty. So it does matter.

Gemmill fully deserves the criticism he gets. He's useless and should be punted.