Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

ABSOLUTE SHITE.Worst Turkley team i can remember.They were garbage and we were absolutely minging.Any half decent team would have scored 3 or 4 against them.Defending was terrible.Only positive from the whole game was McGinn's goal.Only positive thing personally from this game was i never wasted money travelling to watch it.COMPLETE SHIT.The only thing that can be said was it was a friendly.It was that bad that even Tierney played like a TURD.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

ABSOLUTE SHITE.Worst Turkley team i can remember.They were garbage and we were absolutely minging.Any half decent team would have scored 3 or 4 against them.Defending was terrible.Only positive from the whole game was McGinn's goal.Only positive thing personally from this game was i never wasted money travelling to watch it.COMPLETE SHIT.The only thing that can be said was it was a friendly.It was that bad that even Tierney played like a TURD.

Have a glass of water and a lie down.

It was a friendly.

37 minutes ago, slasher said:

I tend to agree, I’ve seen very little to get excited about but I’m not going to write the boy off on a mere 45 minutes and the few bits I’d seen before . However anyone saying anything other than he was  pish tonight is glossing over considerable failings he was very lucky to get away with.

That's fair enough, he did make some mistakes and will need to iron those sort of things out of his game before Clarke could risk him in a competitive game.  But anyway, I'm hoping he'll learn from the experience and will develop at Liverpool.

8 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Clarke saying it was a long flight and they only managed to do 20 minutes tactical work on the pitch yesterday. Maybe a friendly closer to home would have been better. 

That is interesting. Good point.
Also, I saw this post-match interview with Lewis Ferguson:

He mentions that Steve Clarke was specifically looking for a friendly in a hostile stadium as preparationfor the Euro qualifiers. In that respect I think Clarke found what he wanted (though maybe not the result or the performance he might have liked?)

23 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Lol we dont bang 3 or 4 past any decent nation very often, especially away from home. Why did you expect that to happen tonight. Tonight was slightly disappointing but it was just a friendly and as long as we play well in the games that matter then tonight can be easily forgiven. Also you must of been watching a different turkey to me, they looked pretty good imo. Passing and movement was excellent in the first half and they look like a decent team. They did win their nations league group.

Hopefully clarke used tonight to learn a few things about what we need to do to improve for the qualifiers.

6 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Is that the same Turkey that drew 3-3 with Luxembourg and lost 2-1 in the Faroes?Those results don't suggest they are a good team to me.

Those are some bad results but they did win their group and they have a squad of players that play in top leagues and guys who play for fenerbache and galatasaray. I would mostly expect us to beat them at home and draw to them away. Tonight was disappointing but it was just a friendly and we shouldnt get too pissed off considering how well we have played in the last round of internationals. 

2 hours ago, marinello said:

Watching him tonight reminded me of his recent performance against the Turkish under 21's at Tynecastle when he was painfully out of his depth.

There will be others who have seen a lot more of him than I have. I was really excited to see him at the u21 game but came away underwhelmed. However he's obviously impressed Klopp and that's good enough for me.

They didn't seem to start playing tonight until they were 2 down and fck knows what Armstrong was thinking about with that daft dive on the edge of their box when there was an easy pass on.

Fraser was utter sh*te in that first half and I'd have hooked Hendry at HT as well and brought Porteous on.

All in all we looked what we were - a team mostly full of guys not getting regular fitba.  Billy Gilmour has regressed so far it's frightening.  The only positives from tonight were McGinn's brilliant goal and Ryan Christie playing pretty well.  Should've had a penalty at the death as well.  3 defenders on top of Ferguson and one hooks him in the guts and it's not a spot-kick?  Oh, and that Jacob Brown character looks like he's never seen a fkin fitba before.

6 hours ago, Kirk said:

Hes wasted on the pitch

I thought he offered some threat going forward and helped carve out a decent chance in the first half, but he can't defend for toffee.

Ryan Fraser at wingback is like using a pack of cairn terriers to pull a sledge.

3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Clarke tried something different tonight with the formation 1st half that didn't work . He had mctominay and mcginn wide of armstrong  in 3 behind dykes with gilmour behind them all on his own.

2nd half when we went to 4231 we again looked gd and robertson in front of tierney worked.

Both of them have to play.

Team going forward I would like to see.

Gordon

Hickey hendry mckenna tierney

Mctominay macgregor

Patterson     mcginn     robertson

Dykes/adams

That's imo all our best players on pitch and against pot a teams we have added defensive awareness with robertson and patterson.

I've said it before, to get the best out of Billy Gilmour we should play someone alongside him who can "protect" him. We want him picking the passes and dictating the play, not fetching and carrying and constantly battling for possession - that isn't his strongest suit.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

I’m with you on this mate. Was surprised to see others thinking he’d done ok. I agree he was completely out of his depth and I actually commented that I hope Patterson and Hickey get back to full fitness asap.

Obviously very, very early days for the boy, but to suggest he was anything other than poor tonight is wrong in my opinion. 

Ramsay looked a bit out of his depth, I thought. He's only young though, and he will make it (he wouldn't be at Liverpool if he wasn't a talent) but we're lucky to have Hickey and Patterson ahead of him.

I was slightly disappointed with Robertson tonight. For someone with his excellent assists record at the highest level of club football I felt his crossing and corners were poor tonight.

And why oh why oh why didn't Clarke try a new keeper?? Even for 20 minutes or so. 🤦‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

I guess you don't remember the Turkey teams from the late 80s/early 90s - they were a genuine diddy team then. England beat them 8-0 once in a qualifier - in Turkey!

This Turkey side are a good international team with players who play in the major European leagues. They're not of the same calibre as the Turkey side of 20 years ago but losing 2-1 to them in a friendly in Turkey is no disgrace.

2 hours ago, mcguffin said:

That is interesting. Good point.
Also, I saw this post-match interview with Lewis Ferguson:

He mentions that Steve Clarke was specifically looking for a friendly in a hostile stadium as preparationfor the Euro qualifiers. In that respect I think Clarke found what he wanted (though maybe not the result or the performance he might have liked?)

Coulda played at Ibrox and saved a plane journey

19 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I thought he offered some threat going forward and helped carve out a decent chance in the first half, but he can't defend for toffee.

Ryan Fraser at wingback is like using a pack of cairn terriers to pull a sledge.

Nope he had one decent cross when the ball broke to him, thats it. Hes fucking woeful and theres a reason he's not playing for Newcastle, doesn't work hard enough and isnt clever enough

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I've said it before, to get the best out of Billy Gilmour we should play someone alongside him who can "protect" him. We want him picking the passes and dictating the play, not fetching and carrying and constantly battling for possession - that isn't his strongest suit.

Ramsay looked a bit out of his depth, I thought. He's only young though, and he will make it (he wouldn't be at Liverpool if he wasn't a talent) but we're lucky to have Hickey and Patterson ahead of him.

I was slightly disappointed with Robertson tonight. For someone with his excellent assists record at the highest level of club football I felt his crossing and corners were poor tonight.

And why oh why oh why didn't Clarke try a new keeper?? Even for 20 minutes or so. 🤦‍♂️ 

Gilmour is obviously lacking game time, the move to Brighton happened at the wrong time, he should try and get another loan even if its championship to get game time.

Ramsay didnt look amazing but it's his firs game and hes barley played any actual senior football either. Think he needs to go get games for liverpool before he comes back in.

Robertson for me is a terrible choice of captain and just isn't as good for Scotland due to the players around him, I feel he almost trys too hard to carry the team at times and misses out on just playing his game. 

Keeper thing as everyone says is baffling

10 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I think we all agree. It would be just like us to go into some major match with a keeper who hasn't got a single cap.

Ffs caps are irrelevant if you are not good enough and that is the case with our back-up. I am glad we are heading back to the Vogts days of handing out caps like sweeties to players not up to the job.

If the time comes that Gordon is injured the Kelly/McCrorie or whoever else plays ain't going to find new levels of talent because of one cap in their locker. If a player has talent it will show whether tgey have zero caps or 50.

My thoughts on the match were we conceded two sloppy goals against a good Turkey side and they are good. They are tough to play at home as demonstrated by their recent home record wherein only team to beat them in some time is Italy.

We had a team made-up of players lacking regular first team football recently. Look at the starting line-up and Fraser, Hendry, Tierney, Armstrong and Gilmour have lacked regular first team football. Even McGinn and McTominay have only played intermittently recently. Even the subs were the samevsuch as Jack, Ramsay, Christie and Brown. And do not think it was coincedence that we looked better the longer game went on and our players got back into rhythm. It is why we had a disjointed look. On paper it was a strong side but look deeper and you see the drawbacks of it but Clarke had no choice than to go with that general look to the team.

What did we learn? Ramsay not quite ready yet? Hanley not a first pick for us anymore in our strongest side. Need to be more clinical around six yard box too as Armstrong and Fraser laid it on a plate with cracking balls across the face of goal and nobody could tap it in. Sloppy defending too that was the worst part of it all.

I am not too dispondent as I feel when the serious stuff begins we will be switched on and ready to go. Who knows with VAR last night we could have had a couple of pens too.

Cracking goal for John McGinn who is now level with Faddy on 15 goals for Scotland and he is nowhere near finished yet. He has a damned good strike rate for Scotland (better than many of our best strikers) plus has plenty of assists too. He is our takisman.

Wasted opportunity to try out a couple of things & why oh why oh why did we revert back to 3 at the back. 

Turkey are shite, they lost to the Faroes. This is reminiscent of when people said Kazakhstan were good when they pumped us.

Why on earth didn’t we give one of the keepers a run out. 

Also when Adams pulled out, call up another striker. Conway, Shankland or someone. Jacob Brown made McBurnie look like a decent player last night.

it’s only a friendly but it’s just a bit frustrating though. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Wasted opportunity to try out a couple of things & why oh why oh why did we revert back to 3 at the back. 

Turkey are shite, they lost to the Faroes. This is reminiscent of when people said Kazakhstan were good when they pumped us.

Why on earth didn’t we give one of the keepers a run out. 

Also when Adams pulled out, call up another striker. Conway, Shankland or someone. Jacob Brown made McBurnie look like a decent player last night.

it’s only a friendly but it’s just a bit frustrating though. 

Agreed on the striker front. Don’t think Brown is starting for Stoke but correct me if I’m wrong, when he does play, he is in midfield yet he was the only ‘forward’ we had on the bench! Has to be a back 4 going forward. Gilmour should not play until he gets a game at club football. Fraser is never a wing back. Amazed that Gordon played for 90 minutes. A bit of a pointless exercise all round. 

18 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Agreed on the striker front. Don’t think Brown is starting for Stoke but correct me if I’m wrong, when he does play, he is in midfield yet he was the only ‘forward’ we had on the bench! Has to be a back 4 going forward. Gilmour should not play until he gets a game at club football. Fraser is never a wing back. Amazed that Gordon played for 90 minutes. A bit of a pointless exercise all round. 

I was all for this game beforehand, but on reflection, there wasn't much we gained from this run out.

McGinn adding to his tally made it worth it from his point of view. 

Ramsay getting his first cap is obviously good, but it really wasn't an ideal match to play him in. 

The weather was atrocious, in a hostile atmosphere, with a relatively depleted and rusty squad. I didn't think Dykes looked up for it at all. A lot of half arsed attempts at winning the ball or making runs. 

I think having a friendly now was the right idea, but the venue and opponent we chose was wrong.

I feel a bit for Brown. He's never started a game for us and has been lucky to get sub time. Theres been opportunities to give him more game time but Clarke has avoided that so far. Now he's off form at club level leaving us short of options up front. That's the thing about friendlies, sometimes it leaves us with more questions than answers and we've ended the year with a defeat. Anyway a long wait until the next game so can only hope the likes of Tierney, Gilmour and McTominay get some more game time.