Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

17 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Not bothered one bit about the call offs, we know what these lads can do. Bring in more untested players. Surely Gauld is at least, worth a look in a friendly 

If he isn't going to bring him along to a quadruple header in western Europe, there is no chance he would ask him to fly even further for a friendly in Turkey. Certainly not as a late call up anyway. 

I think 20 is fine for this game. Most of which are key players from the core of the squad. So it'll be a good bonding session for our main men.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So he gave up on us calling him up and played for his 3rd choice?

That's pretty much it.

Anyway, I think we have somewhat better options in central defence now than we did a few years ago when Caulker was being suggested as a potential Scotland player.

15 hours ago, Kirk said:

Ryan Jack has done it before so there is cover as such

fuck right off

He had a few good years in portugal shinning in some terrible teams. Hes playing very well in Canada in a league that is no worse than our own (if you ignore the terrible chants etc) 
Hes a creative player which is something we really lack

Lots slag the MLS but the USA has 9 MLS players in their World Cup squad (Sands and Tillman at Rangers didn’t make the squad) and I counted 2 or 3 in Uruguay’s. They would all likely be too good for our league apart from some for Celtic maybe .  Bale plays there and no doubt there’s a few others in World Cup squads. Gauld was player of year for his team in the mLS. He’s playing at a good standard and was in the Portugal team of the season (only players from outwith the big 3 in that team). He is decent 

Edited by GHfaeGTA

16 hours ago, stocky said:

Sorry I don't get the hard on a few posters have for Gauld.

He couldn't cut it at Hibs, didn't cut it in Portugal the way Scottish players who went abroad at the same age did or are doing (Hickey,Doig, Ferguson) currently in Italy.

Gauld plays in Canada for a reason.

He actually isnae that good 

Correct

15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Aye folk slagging Gauld need a reality check. David Turnbull regularly gets into our squad ffs

Turnbull won the league last season, will do so again this 

Gauld 🤔

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Give the 2 non-Gordon goalies a half each.

I'd definitely give Kelly the whole second half but I wouldn't give McCrorie (who is third choice at his club) a game unless a nightmare injury scenario unfolds.

McCrorie really needs to get his arse into gear and get first team football next season.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd definitely give Kelly the whole second half but I wouldn't give McCrorie (who is third choice at his club) a game unless a nightmare injury scenario unfolds.

McCrorie really needs to get his arse into gear and get first team football next season.

Or we're 4 or 5 up...  😀

Aye, he needs games.  Doubt very much if he's being groomed to be No. 1 at Ibrox so he should get away asap.

8 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Lots slag the MLS but the USA has 9 MLS players in their World Cup squad (Sands and Tillman at Rangers didn’t make the squad) and I counted 2 or 3 in Uruguay’s. They would all likely be too good for our league apart from some for Celtic maybe .  Bale plays there and no doubt there’s a few others in World Cup squads. Gauld was player of year for his team in the mLS. He’s playing at a good standard and was in the Portugal team of the season (only players from outwith the big 3 in that team). He is decent 

Exactly, he is a very good player, maybe not the "mini messi" he was billed as at a young age but should defos be in our squad at worst.

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Aye folk slagging Gauld need a reality check. David Turnbull regularly gets into our squad ffs

Exactly, turnball is very over rated for me

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I'd give McCrorie a half as at some point we might need him to start a game and any experience will be valuable. It also might give some teams a look at him

Surely there’s nothing to gain starting Craig Gordon in goals for this one? Give the other goalies 45 each.

Same way playing Ryan Jack is pointless - surely Ferguson comes in and gets a start, same as Ramsay at right back.

The only free hit of a game we will have for ages. 

20 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Gordon

Ramsay hendry mckenna robbo

Mctominay     

Fraser  mcginn armstrong  tierney

Dykes

Thats my team. Gilmour on for mctominay in the second half.

like that team, but would bring Ferguson on for Mcginn.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Surely there’s nothing to gain starting Craig Gordon in goals for this one? Give the other goalies 45 each.

Same way playing Ryan Jack is pointless - surely Ferguson comes in and gets a start, same as Ramsay at right back.

The only free hit of a game we will have for ages. 

I imagine Gordon is trying to become one of our highest cap earners. And Clarke is probably terrified that he might retire at some point. So he'll want him to feel valued.

I personally would start Gordon but sub him at half time for Kelly. No disrespect to McRorie, but he doesn't deserve a cap yet. Being included in the squad at all is great experience for him.

I'm actually finding it incredibly hard to choose the centre backs. You could make a valid argument to start any of Hanley, McKenna, Hendry or Porteous. Then if Cooper and Souttar had been involved it would be even more difficult.

Edited by Tartan blood

Just think of the time when Craig Gordon has retired. Guaranteed there will be times when we will be saying 'Oh I wish we still had Craig Gordon.' So play him whilst we still can. If Kelly or McCrorie were playing well enough (which they aren't) then I'd cap them. However, the gap between Gordon and the other options is big.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just think of the time when Craig Gordon has retired. Guaranteed there will be times when we will be saying 'Oh I wish we still had Craig Gordon.' So play him whilst we still can. If Kelly or McCrorie were playing well enough (which they aren't) then I'd cap them. However, the gap between Gordon and the other options is big.

I can see us turning to angus gunn unless some star emerges.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Is it not better one or both of them have some experience playing for us for the inevitable moment Craig Gordon is injured for an important game and we have to throw one of them in? 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Is it not better one or both of them have some experience playing for us for the inevitable moment Craig Gordon is injured for an important game and we have to throw one of them in? 

It is a tough one but my instinct says they are not up to the task. May be better to wait and hope a better option comes along. It seems that Clarke may be thinking that way too as reports had him talking about scouring abroad for possible eligible other options out there.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'm dreading it. I remember feeling the same dread when Kenny Miller and Scott Brown were getting close to retiring. And I was right, because we haven't really replaced either effectively. However, the team has evolved significantly where we don't necessarily need players of the same style as those 2.

Goalkeepers are a bit more straightforward. The guy that is best at keeping the ball out of the goal is in. Gordon is one of our greatest ever goalkeepers. There is no replacing him.

18 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Goalkeepers are a bit more straightforward. The guy that is best at keeping the ball out of the goal is in. Gordon is one of our greatest ever goalkeepers. There is no replacing him.

Spot on.

I am all for trying out new players to see if they offer an upgrade on what we have but everyone knows Kelly and McCrorie are not in the same league as Gordon.

I’ve said this before but Gordon is already showing signs of wear and tear in recent club form, it would be a folly not to at least begin the process of bedding another keeper in. Ferguson must be worth a look as well given his recent form in Italy?

10 minutes ago, slasher said:

I’ve said this before but Gordon is already showing signs of wear and tear in recent club form, it would be a folly not to at least begin the process of bedding another keeper in. Ferguson must be worth a look as well given his recent form in Italy?

Well Clarke has already said he'll play the maximum 17 players. So only 3 guys will get no minutes. You'd assume 1 would be McRorie. He is the least deserving in terms of club form/minutes.

I personally wouldn't bother playing Jack. Partially because he is just coming back from injury(?) and the fact he is 30 and is not getting any better. I'd rather see someone we know will be in the squad for years to come. I think his time is coming to an end.

The 3rd would be Hanley. Only because I want to see more of our younger CBs. But he will continue to play a big part in the future, I'm sure.