Andy Robertson - his unsung hero - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Andy Robertson - his unsung hero

duncan II

Was in the car and flicking through radio stations and caught some of an interview with Robertson on a thing called 'My Unsung Hero' on Talksport. Was pretty interesting but had to turn it off when the interviewer repeatedly referred to his time at Dundee. Even with Robertson constantly saying Dundee Utd, she just couldn't get it right. Apparently she does a whole series of such interviews. Is it too much to ask that someone doing that job has done basic research, or understands some things re Scottish football?

Annoyed me more than it should, but I found parts of it interesting. He came across well.

20 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Was in the car and flicking through radio stations and caught some of an interview with Robertson on a thing called 'My Unsung Hero' on Talksport. Was pretty interesting but had to turn it off when the interviewer repeatedly referred to his time at Dundee. Even with Robertson constantly saying Dundee Utd, she just couldn't get it right. Apparently she does a whole series of such interviews. Is it too much to ask that someone doing that job has done basic research, or understands some things re Scottish football?

Annoyed me more than it should, but I found parts of it interesting. He came across well.

Shouldn't really surprise anybody.The number of imposters posing at being interested in football is rife. It's where the big bucks are these days. Always remember some supposedly highly regarded character saying quite recently that he couldn't remember the last time Italy hadn't qualified for the World Cup. How about the last one pal. Talk about basics. Imposters. 

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

You think that's bad? I read Alan Hansen's autobiography a while ago. Now, he might not have written it himself but you would think that he would at least have read it before it got published. He mentions how how big an influence Ron Yeats was to him early in his career, and how Yeats was his mentor when Hansen first when down to Liverpool. He talks about how Yeats played for "Dundee" before moving south, when everybody with any knowledge, knows that Yeats played for Dundee United. 

15 hours ago, thesaint said:

Shouldn't really surprise anybody.The number of imposters posing at being interested in football is rife. It's where the big bucks are these days. Always remember some supposedly highly regarded character saying quite recently that he couldn't remember the last time Italy hadn't qualified for the World Cup. How about the last one pal. Talk about basics. Imposters. 

The English football media is the most ignorant you will ever come across. They have next to no interest in anything outwith England. If its not the EPL, EFL or WSL they won't have a clue because nothing else matters. 

17 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You think that's bad? I read Alan Hansen's autobiography a while ago. Now, he might not have written it himself but you would think that he would at least have read it before it got published. He mentions how how big an influence Ron Yeats was to him early in his career, and how Yeats was his mentor when Hansen first when down to Liverpool. He talks about how Yeats played for "Dundee" before moving south, when everybody with any knowledge, knows that Yeats played for Dundee United. 

Steven Gerrard when he was in Scotland always referred to Dun. U as "Dundee."

it’s not enormously surprising though is it.  There is paltry interest in the Scottish game down south and without being disrespectful to Dundee, there are bigger sides in the English national league.  Would most of you know whether it’s Woking town or Woking?  Maidenhead United or maindenhead.

Outside of Scotland, nobody cares about Scottish football and if you look at where we are on the European stage recently where even are top sides (who are in a different stratosphere to every other Scottish club)are horsed, it’s hard to argue about our relevance.  I wouldn’t let it bother me.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

it’s not enormously surprising though is it.  There is paltry interest in the Scottish game down south and without being disrespectful to Dundee, there are bigger sides in the English national league.  Would most of you know whether it’s Woking town or Woking?  Maidenhead United or maindenhead.

Outside of Scotland, nobody cares about Scottish football and if you look at where we are on the European stage recently where even are top sides (who are in a different stratosphere to every other Scottish club)are horsed, it’s hard to argue about our relevance.  I wouldn’t let it bother me.

It's ignorance and a wilful dismissal of Scottish football. They are supposed football fans, these are clubs within the largest league of their nearest national neighbours (well, there's usually at least one of them in the largest league). Dundee reached European cup semis in the '60s and United latter stages of euro comps  in the '80s. Surely this brings them into the awareness of anyone who follows football. It is not remotely comparable to fucking Woking Town. My mates who are English would know these facts, and lots more. No excuses for their media representatives to be so ignorant. So yeah, it does annoy me.

37 minutes ago, duncan II said:

It's ignorance and a wilful dismissal of Scottish football. They are supposed football fans, these are clubs within the largest league of their nearest national neighbours (well, there's usually at least one of them in the largest league). Dundee reached European cup semis in the '60s and United latter stages of euro comps  in the '80s. Surely this brings them into the awareness of anyone who follows football. It is not remotely comparable to fucking Woking Town. My mates who are English would know these facts, and lots more. No excuses for their media representatives to be so ignorant. So yeah, it does annoy 

You're spot on but I suspect you've bitten at another fishing attempt by malcolm, I don't believe anyone can be that ignorant so he's got to be fishing.

Bizarrely I'll be watching Maidenhead next weekend when they play aldershot 

Edited by vanderark14

45 minutes ago, duncan II said:

It's ignorance and a wilful dismissal of Scottish football. They are supposed football fans, these are clubs within the largest league of their nearest national neighbours (well, there's usually at least one of them in the largest league). Dundee reached European cup semis in the '60s and United latter stages of euro comps  in the '80s. Surely this brings them into the awareness of anyone who follows football. It is not remotely comparable to fucking Woking Town. My mates who are English would know these facts, and lots more. No excuses for their media representatives to be so ignorant. So yeah, it does annoy me.

Woking town are in the same league as Notts county who won the FA cup, and have a bigger stadium than both Dundee and Dundee Utd.

the English view our domestic game as a pub league, with some justification.  This isn’t the 60s anymore, football has changed entirely and our game is not important to them.

if you want someone who cares about Scottish football, listen to sportsound and avoid any English coverage of our game.

Even when we were good, the likes of Jimmy Hill and Greaves condescended our game.  we are now pitiful.

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You're spot on but I suspect you've bitten at another fishing attempt by malcolm, I don't believe anyone can be that ignorant so he's got to be fishing.

Bizarrely I'll be watching Maidenhead next weekend when they play aldershot 

im not arguing the rights or wrongs of it, just the reality.  Nobody down south cares. The point I’m making is to me there are bigger things to worry about and I generally have a rye smile when I hear the English talk about our game.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

im not arguing the rights or wrongs of it, just the reality.  Nobody down south cares. The point I’m making is to me there are bigger things to worry about and I generally have a rye smile when I hear the English talk about our game.

It's not about whether anyone in england cares. I couldn't give a flying fuck who wins the any of the leagues in England but I still know who most of their top teams are. 

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not about whether anyone in england cares. I couldn't give a flying fuck who wins the any of the leagues in England but I still know who most of their top teams are. 

most people know rangers and Celtic.  In England these are the only top teams in Scotland.

On 11/3/2022 at 7:31 AM, Malcolm said:

if you want someone who cares about Scottish football, listen to sportsound and avoid any English coverage of our game.

He was listening to an interview with the Scotland Captain. Its not to much to expect that any half decent interviewer would have done 5 minutes research and know the difference between Dundee and Dundee United given her subject only played for one if them. Im pretty used to the english disrespecting Scottish football, but the interviewer also disrespected Andy Robertson on this occasion, so the OP has an entirely valid point.

It doesn't bother me if people outside Scotland are ignorant about Scotland or disparage Scottish football. 

Worst is when Scottish people do it.

It doesn't help that so much of the media give an Anglocentric perspective on everything, and preferentially pump English league and English national games into Scotland at the expense of our own game.