Loss of form/ lack of games/ Injuries - Difficult squad or an opportunity? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Loss of form/ lack of games/ Injuries - Difficult squad or an opportunity?

sandyb

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It’s also Steve Clarke esque as he’s called up all 3 of those guys in the last 12-18 months 

True 🙄

Although in fairness to Clarke he tends to do that to backfill for injured players during competitive double or triple headers. Wee Broon, on the other hand, would call up 28-year-olds for friendlies!

55 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

It is definitely a worry the lack of minutes some players are getting just now. Namely Tierney, Mcginn, Mctominay, Christie, Gilmour and Fraser. 

It’s a real problem.  Armstrong is a regular so should start ahead of Mcginn in the advanced position.  Left back is covered with Robertson, so tierney can be back up from the bench, but struggling for central midfield.

20 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It’s a real problem.  Armstrong is a regular so should start ahead of Mcginn in the advanced position.  Left back is covered with Robertson, so tierney can be back up from the bench, but struggling for central midfield.

Only bonus is because KT isn’t playing that much just now this is probably the longest he’s gone without injury in a while. 

I also think there are certain players Clarke won’t drop because of lack of minutes. Such as Mctominay and KT. 

Edited by bigfingers

51 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

There is absolutely no way I'd start Armstrong instead of mcginn if mcginn is fit.

Tierney isnt getting a lack of game time. He is playing about 100 mins of football per week. Its just that he is playing in Europa as opposed to EPL. Going forward it might be an issue but lets see what Arteta does after the world cup.

Gilmour, McTom and McGinn are more of a concern.  Gilmour might just be finding it hard to break into a midfield thats operating well but McTom seems to have dropped right down the pecking order. He now appears to be behind Fred and Van De Beek who arent good players.

3 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is this an official international date or are we just making it one. Don’t see many others playing friendlies 

will clubs be fully cooperating even in releasing players 

It is an official international date and other nations are playing friendlies.

14 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Only bonus is because KT isn’t playing that much just now this is probably the longest he’s gone without injury in a while. 

I also think there are certain players Clarke won’t drop because of lack of minutes. Such as Mctominay and KT. 

Absolutely. There are some players in a bracket that are too talented not to play, assuming they are fit. At the moment, at least, John McGinn is definitely in that bracket. As is Robertson and Tierney. Those 3 will start every game. McTominay, McGregor, Patterson, and Gilmour will all be in squads regardless of minutes as well.

I'd have put Gordon in the same bracket as KT/Robbo/McGinn but if his game time starts to reduce, that'll probably be a sign he is on the verge of retiring. 

On 10/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, sandyb said:

In the run up to the WC friendly, we seem to have a lot of out of form/ lack of games or injury for our key players.

Teirney - not a regular

Patterson - injured

McGinn - out of form

Gilmour - cant get a kick

McTomminay - not a regular - allegedly!

Soutar - injured

Fraser - Not a regular

Hen - keeps having to change teams to get a game

Ralston - not a regular

Robertson - Injury and just coming back/ lack of form

Jack - Injured

Adams - carrying a hamstring injury

Hickey - injured

FFS

I like to track players in form/game time also although it doesn't always follow they won't play the next game for us. Anyway good to see some of them back with McGinn playing today, Robertson getting a couple of assists, Adams scoring. Like others, I don't mind Tierney not playing so much as he's too injury prone so he'll be fit for us. Just a shame Gilmour isn't playing but the last few games has shown we have got a bit of strength in depth which we'll need, as Turkey will likely be a tough match.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:05 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Aye, very good news Patterson's back earlier than expected from injury 👍

I'd really like to see Ferguson given a start in central midfield in this upcoming game.

i woukd like to see him get a game.  Suspect he will play sMe position as mcginn as thats where is playing for bolognA