General ranting not politics related - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General ranting not politics related

53 minutes ago, phart said:

I didn't start drinking coffee till I was living with North Americans and Europeans who all drank it so I would get offered cups.

Never liked tea or coffee at all. Started with coffee during a trip to Amsterdam with a Canadian friend. Over a few sunny afternoons sitting in squares and chilling. Been on the coffee every day since. Grind my own beans now and don't leave the house before I've pulled a double espresso from my prized possession - a big red Smeg ❤️😂

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Never liked tea or coffee at all. Started with coffee during a trip to Amsterdam with a Canadian friend. Over a few sunny afternoons sitting in squares and chilling. Been on the coffee every day since. Grind my own beans now and don't leave the house before I've pulled a double espresso from my prized possession - a big red Smeg ❤️😂

Just looked at one of those, that's a nice bit of kit.

14 hours ago, thplinth said:

A really well made cup of tea that is brewed just right shits on any coffee I ever had. And I love coffee.

Now and then when drinking tea, especially when it is just that right temperature that it is almost too hot but not, that it just tickles the back of you throat, you find yourself almost involuntarily necking the entire mug. 

Coffee is a different experience. 

My tea needs to be that way. It also needs to be strongish with only a quick splash of milk in it. My friend has baby tea, I would take coffee before that. 
I occasionally like herbal tea, but it doesn’t really work with a roll and square sausage or a chocolate digestive. Best herbal tea I had was in Anna’s cafe in Budapest. Ginger and honey, and I actually really dislike honey, there was only enough to give it some sweetness. Tried replicating it when i got home but failed miserably. There were spices in in too. 

The cup is also important. For regular tea needs to be bone china. No need to spend a lot of money , Morrisons do bone china mugs for  a fiver. I like herbal tea in those clear retro mugs. 

Annas ginger tea 

03DEFD7A-947B-46D5-A247-466B19D7FE14.thumb.png.62c345a413aefa93e4e9bb30d729b163.png

14 hours ago, dan cake said:

I cycle to work ever day rain or shine my only motivation when the weather is horrendous is the thought of a steaming hot coffee at the other end, 2 double spooned cups pre 0900 hours is enough for me otherwise murders would take place, tea is for gay englishers

😡  scrub your tongue with soap and water young man. 
Funnily enough I was walking down Buchanan st this week going to work, it was absolute monsoon weather and 2 guys were cycling up the street. I thought to myself ‘ who the fook is mad enough to cycle in this weather’ , now I know 🙂

10 hours ago, Kirk said:

Totally agree with the price thing. I very rarely get a Starbucks etc, consider it a treat once in a while.

I know folk that work in town and as soon as they are off the train go for a coffee. Every single morning. That's at least £20 a week, which many people don't see as much but to me it's mad. 

See other thread about 'Saving Energy Tips for Winter'. Buy a thermos flask and save £80 a month! Just under £1000 a year.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Funnily enough I was walking down Buchanan st this week going to work, it was absolute monsoon weather and 2 guys were cycling up the street. I thought to myself ‘ who the fook is mad enough to cycle in this weather’ , now I know 🙂

I always associate tea drinking with bowler hats, sticky out pinkies and the British empire.

A gritter driver shouted prick at me during the beast from the east, perfect for cycling no fannies in cars on the road 👍

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

When you're out on the bike you can't get any wetter than wet. Which brings me to something that annoys the feck out of me, by law I've got to have a bell on my bike to warn people I'm there.

Every fecker be it parents with weans, dug walkers, runners are all plugged into their phones or have their noses buried in said phones and are oblivious to their surroundings.

You end up behind them screaming at them to get passed and get looked at like shite on their shoes for daring to interrupt them😡

4 minutes ago, bonzo said:

When you're out on the bike you can't get any wetter than wet. Which brings me to something that annoys the feck out of me, by law I've got to have a bell on my bike to warn people I'm there.

Every fecker be it parents with weans, dug walkers, runners are all plugged into their phones or have their noses buried in said phones and are oblivious to their surroundings.

You end up behind them screaming at them to get passed and get looked at like shite on their shoes for daring to interrupt them😡

Are these people walking on the road or are you on the pavement?

23 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Cycle paths.

That's Ok then. 😉

Another thing that annoys me, is when the path is clearly divided into a walking bit, and a cycle bit, but some pedestrians seem to want to use the whole path. They say things like "I'll move off the cycle path if a bike comes along", which is OK if the bike is coming towards them. But, then they get really annoyed when a bike "sneaks" up behind them and scares the shit out of them. Just stop walking on the cycle path you fukin idiots.

20 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i can trace the coffee fad back to mid / late 90s in London anyway - am sure it was just after seeing (mostly) young woman carrying around bottles of evian on the tube (before the yoga flask era...) - unfortunately i got sucked into the coffee thing - and is probably way worse in north america - although they do go in a lot for the cheap "brewed" coffee too ( for some reason instant coffee is frowned upon - although it is typically way better than the brewed p1sh )

= i watched a video a few years back ; where bloke was talking about huge number of pub closures in UK ; numbers he gave were roughly one pub closed = one coffee shop opened (this was in early 2000s i think ?)

he did suggest that in 80s ; a popular tv show was "cheers" set in a bar / and 90s show was friends (which incidentally i cannot stand - but thats another rant on the vapid) set in a coffee shop (so i understand)

am not sure i could sit in a coffee shop for 3hrs though discussing the recent match though ......

And that coffee shop was originally a pub which got converted. 

On a similar theme, some older folk might remember trying out a few pubs on Scotland Road in Liverpool. But it looks like the end of an era.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-63145686

2 hours ago, bonzo said:

All my bikes have an old school honking horn on them, £3 from Decathlon 👍

B4A15C6C-31C3-492A-8561-DB51A10B9630.png

Edited by dan cake

23 minutes ago, dan cake said:

All my bikes have an old school honking horn on them, £3 from Decathlon 👍

B4A15C6C-31C3-492A-8561-DB51A10B9630.png

It’s actually a bylaw here in Calgary - i have a bell on all my bikes ; even the road one

its super organized in huge network of paths with line down middle ; people typically stay on side , but theres always incidents

31 minutes ago, phart said:

Aye

It is essential when you've got a narrow walkway and a canal next to you. Walked from Linlithgow to Polmont yesterday. Unseen to us a narrow boat was behind us going round a bend, sounded it's horn and we nearly jumped out of our skins. Bit louder than the normal cyclist's bell!

Edited by Hertsscot

15 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It is essential when you've got a narrow walkway and a canal next to you. Walked from Linlithgow to Polmont yesterday. Unseen to us a narrow boat was behind us going round a bend, sounded it's horn and we nearly jumped out of our skins. Bit louder than the normal cyclist's bell!

Must have been a honking experience/

2 hours ago, phart said:

I walk the canal a lot and I like the horn/bell system, I hear it I just hug the side of the path and they go on their merry way and me mine.

Been walking it for 3 years now and never once had any problems.

Iv been cycling along it to my work for last 12/13 years. The difference is chalk and cheese from when I first started, no cats eyes and very little of it had a proper surface. The regeneration of the lochrin basin area is excellent considering it was just the back of a closed brewery for long enough, they have a wee canal festival in the summer with pop up coffee shops and stalls etc, there is also a few sculptures including the Burke and Hare one at kingsknowe. I’m sure they worked on the construction of the canal, and the mysterious canal pusher iner to contend with

Edited by dan cake

35 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Iv been cycling along it to my work for last 12/13 years. The difference is chalk and cheese from when I first started, no cats eyes and very little of it had a proper surface. The regeneration of the lochrin basin area is excellent considering it was just the back of a closed brewery for long enough, they have a wee canal festival in the summer with pop up coffee shops and stalls etc, there is also a few sculptures including the Burke and Hare one at kingsknowe. I’m sure they worked on the construction of the canal, and the mysterious canal pusher iner to contend with

Used to like joining the canal just at your work and cycling along to Fountainbridge with the wee man for lunch at Akva the Swedish place. Shut doon now I think? You’re right though, the regeneration of that end of the canal was great. 

14 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Used to like joining the canal just at your work and cycling along to Fountainbridge with the wee man for lunch at Akva the Swedish place. Shut doon now I think? You’re right though, the regeneration of that end of the canal was great. 

Think Covid finished it off

Back on topic ish, folk who have wheel barrow type things attached to their bikes with children in them. How the fuck is that even legal, I’d take their kids off them and I’m talking main roads not bike paths etc. Seems to be a posh cunts on a Sunday thing where I live the kids must be shiting themselves, shocking parenting imo 

Edited by dan cake