General ranting not politics related - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

General ranting not politics related

6 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Concerts: whole list 

People who chat all the way through a gig. People who go to the front and then just stand there, no clapping, no singing, no dancing, just stand there, killing any atmosphere. People who can't get through a gig without constantly having to go to the bar. People who view the whole gig through their mobile phone.

Some of that makes me think of people who attend certain events just to say they were there even though they have little or no actual interest.

Some (but not all) of the people queuing up for QE2s coffin made me think of that too.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

People who chat all the way through a gig. People who go to the front and then just stand there, no clapping, no singing, no dancing, just stand there, killing any atmosphere. People who can't get through a gig without constantly having to go to the bar. People who view the whole gig through their mobile phone.

I remember the days bouncers would give you a doin if you even tried to smuggle a camera into a gig 😆

26 minutes ago, fringo said:

Some of that makes me think of people who attend certain events just to say they were there even though they have little or no actual interest.

Some (but not all) of the people queuing up for QE2s coffin made me think of that too.

I alway thought it was particularly bad when I would go to the O2 in London. You got the feeling that some people were just on a night out rather than having any interest in the band who was actually playing.

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I'll add to this - feeling like an auld man at gigs!  I love going to gigs and must have been to hundreds over the years.  Recently though I feel about 80 years old when I see the rest of the crowd!  And when the fuck did gym shorts and a T shirt become acceptable attire for the young team to wear out?!  I mean, where do they keep their phone, keys etc?

53 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

I'll add to this - feeling like an auld man at gigs!  I love going to gigs and must have been to hundreds over the years.  Recently though I feel about 80 years old when I see the rest of the crowd!  And when the fuck did gym shorts and a T shirt become acceptable attire for the young team to wear out?!  I mean, where do they keep their phone, keys etc?

Ditto. Was going to try for Artic Monkeys tickets but never bothered as I will feel like Methuselah 👵

Where do I start, there’s too much choice 😕

I have finally got over hating Greggs for discontinuing buttered fruit scones. I still dont get the obsession with coffee though. When did we become a nation of folk queuing for hours outside star bucks and wandering about the streets with all sorts of random coffee in their personal  plastic cups ? When did we stop the tea and coffee fund ? 

6 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

I remember seeing a t-shirt at a Buzzcocks gig a few years ago, it read old punks don't die, they just stand at the back.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I have finally got over hating Greggs for discontinuing buttered fruit scones. I still dont get the obsession with coffee though. When did we become a nation of folk queuing for hours outside star bucks and wandering about the streets with all sorts of random coffee in their personal  plastic cups ? When did we stop the tea and coffee fund ? 

I only started drinking coffee when i was about 25 due to working nighshifts, and then driving vans all over the country for 12-16 hours at a time. In the house im very much a tea person, unless i have some nice coffee in, or its summer and i make cold brew.

34 minutes ago, Kirk said:

I only started drinking coffee when i was about 25 due to working nighshifts, and then driving vans all over the country for 12-16 hours at a time. In the house im very much a tea person, unless i have some nice coffee in, or its summer and i make cold brew.

I am a tea drinker but can definitely see the benefit of caffeine in coffee helping folk when tired. But its the money folk spend on it I dont understand.

In work these days,  someone saying ‘ anyone want a coffee ? ‘ means them wandering off to the shops for 20 minutes and paying obscene amounts of money to fill their wee cup . What happened to a jar of Mellow Birds  and a kettle? 

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

i can trace the coffee fad back to mid / late 90s in London anyway - am sure it was just after seeing (mostly) young woman carrying around bottles of evian on the tube (before the yoga flask era...) - unfortunately i got sucked into the coffee thing - and is probably way worse in north america - although they do go in a lot for the cheap "brewed" coffee too ( for some reason instant coffee is frowned upon - although it is typically way better than the brewed p1sh )

= i watched a video a few years back ; where bloke was talking about huge number of pub closures in UK ; numbers he gave were roughly one pub closed = one coffee shop opened (this was in early 2000s i think ?)

he did suggest that in 80s ; a popular tv show was "cheers" set in a bar / and 90s show was friends (which incidentally i cannot stand - but thats another rant on the vapid) set in a coffee shop (so i understand)

am not sure i could sit in a coffee shop for 3hrs though discussing the recent match though ......

As a student in Glasgow when it was city of culture the joke was that the tramps living around the city centre were instead of asking for ‘20p for a coffee’ were now asking for ‘a pound for a cappuccino’… so it goes back at least until then. That was when Glasgow still had proper tramps in the city centre. 

10 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Regarding attire and feeling auld - what the fuck are those 20-something lads out on the town all about with their skin tight breeks that stop about three inches above the ankle, nae socks and slip-on shoes?!? It then looks like they’re walking about with 55” TVs rammed in their pockets when they somehow cram their phone and wallet in. Shan style 😩

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i can trace the coffee fad back to mid / late 90s in London anyway - am sure it was just after seeing (mostly) young woman carrying around bottles of evian on the tube (before the yoga flask era...) - unfortunately i got sucked into the coffee thing - and is probably way worse in north america - although they do go in a lot for the cheap "brewed" coffee too ( for some reason instant coffee is frowned upon - although it is typically way better than the brewed p1sh )

= i watched a video a few years back ; where bloke was talking about huge number of pub closures in UK ; numbers he gave were roughly one pub closed = one coffee shop opened (this was in early 2000s i think ?)

he did suggest that in 80s ; a popular tv show was "cheers" set in a bar / and 90s show was friends (which incidentally i cannot stand - but thats another rant on the vapid) set in a coffee shop (so i understand)

am not sure i could sit in a coffee shop for 3hrs though discussing the recent match though ......

It’s hardly surprising, anything America does we eventually inherit . The move from pub to  coffee shops is probably linked to  changes in health habits . I know coffee isn’t particularly healthy but it’s probably healthier than booze, plus no one could ever afford a cake from star bucks so there is no risk there.

I could never sit in a coffee shop for any length of time either. They seem to be full of people on laptops .
I sound like a dinosaur I know, I moaning faced one at that . 

A really well made cup of tea that is brewed just right shits on any coffee I ever had. And I love coffee.

Now and then when drinking tea, especially when it is just that right temperature that it is almost too hot but not, that it just tickles the back of you throat, you find yourself almost involuntarily necking the entire mug. 

Coffee is a different experience. 

I cycle to work ever day rain or shine my only motivation when the weather is horrendous is the thought of a steaming hot coffee at the other end, 2 double spooned cups pre 0900 hours is enough for me otherwise murders would take place, tea is for gay englishers

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am a tea drinker but can definitely see the benefit of caffeine in coffee helping folk when tired. But its the money folk spend on it I dont understand.

In work these days,  someone saying ‘ anyone want a coffee ? ‘ means them wandering off to the shops for 20 minutes and paying obscene amounts of money to fill their wee cup . What happened to a jar of Mellow Birds  and a kettle? 

Totally agree with the price thing. I very rarely get a Starbucks etc, consider it a treat once in a while.

I know folk that work in town and as soon as they are off the train go for a coffee. Every single morning. That's at least £20 a week, which many people don't see as much but to me it's mad.