Energy saving tips for winter - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Energy saving tips for winter

14 hours ago, exile said:

This was the actual graphic that inspired this thread but I couldn't find it yesterday...

Somehow it seems clearer about what you could most usefully cut down or cut out...

SrrrrrrBloomberg Graphics on Twitter: "🥶🇬🇧⚡️ How much will it cost to run home  appliances during the UK energy crisis? Here's the price breakdown:  https://t.co/fHqNklhz5z https://t.co/5X7OS8mbbL" / Twitter

So looks like a 'bachelors' home companion' lifestyle - keep away from the slow cooker, switch away from conventional cooking to microwave, cut down on the hoovering, refrain from the temptation to do the ironing, eschew the hairdryer...

I think that graphic is next to useless. What does "single use" mean? It all depends on wattage and how long they are on for. It's easier to work out for electrical appliances but not so easy for gas cookers, heaters etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ger intae them said:

Way off topic, but people always say shirt sleeves when surely it should be short sleeves?

all shirts have a sleeve whether long or short………. if not it must be a ‘sleeveless shirt’ or a ‘muscle shirt’?

😂

Good point. 👍

14 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

I still reckon for me at least the biggest saver might be wearing a t-shirt underneath or a fleece on top.  The biggest cost by far is central heating and I may need to get over the idea that it's perfectly normal to walk about in shirt sleeves in the middle of winter. Hopefully that will mean we don't have to have the heating on quite as long or quite as high.

The yoof of today have been so pampered that they don't know what hardship is. They can't remember the days before central heating existed. "When I were a lad", we had one fireplace that had to provide heat and hot water for the whole house. We would get up in the morning to find ice on the inside of the bedroom window. In those days the only fleece came off the back of a sheep. Fleeces have been a fantastic invention (man-made from oil). Two or three thin fleeces is the answer to our heating worries.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think that graphic is next to useless. What does "single use" mean? It all depends on wattage and how long they are on for. It's easier to work out for electrical appliances but not so easy for gas cookers, heaters etc.

Aww, well maybe you are an expert in applicances and energy savings who knows all this already.

But for me it helps you think more about what different things may take up more energy, which was the point.

For example, when deciding how to cook a pie or a fish finger, say, I'd usually think just "how long does it take" and "which comes out better" but not usually "which way is more expensive?".

I'd say wattage would use typical values, and I think the length of time is supposed ot be shown on the left hand scale (which unfortunatly has no numbers on it). But if you look at the gas central heating one, that appears to be based on 6 hours, and you can work out roughly that the scale runs from a few minutes' 'single use' at the top, to 24 hours at the bottom (fridge and wi-fi) (hence why the scale is dotted, where it's not to scale.

It suggests, for example, that for the same duration, a (typical) electric hob is three times as epxensive as a gas hob. Or, putting a fish finger in an electric oven not only could take (say) 5 times longer, but could be 20 times more expensive. Worth knowing?

12 hours ago, exile said:

Aww, well maybe you are an expert in applicances and energy savings who knows all this already.

But for me it helps you think more about what different things may take up more energy, which was the point.

For example, when deciding how to cook a pie or a fish finger, say, I'd usually think just "how long does it take" and "which comes out better" but not usually "which way is more expensive?".

I'd say wattage would use typical values, and I think the length of time is supposed ot be shown on the left hand scale (which unfortunatly has no numbers on it). But if you look at the gas central heating one, that appears to be based on 6 hours, and you can work out roughly that the scale runs from a few minutes' 'single use' at the top, to 24 hours at the bottom (fridge and wi-fi) (hence why the scale is dotted, where it's not to scale.

It suggests, for example, that for the same duration, a (typical) electric hob is three times as epxensive as a gas hob. Or, putting a fish finger in an electric oven not only could take (say) 5 times longer, but could be 20 times more expensive. Worth knowing?

Ah Ok, I didn't realise that part of the graphic was missing. I thought they meant that all the values were for "single use" which didn't make any sense at all, unless you define what "single use" means. I guess the missing part of the graphic probably helps to do that? 

12 hours ago, phart said:

To be fair a handy graphic is alright.

As someone who actually had to run devices for a minute and count flashes on a meter to work out the real kWh rate of household appliances as part of a project it's no fun.

Could you not just look at the label on the appliance? 😂 Or, was that not part of the experiment? 😉

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Ah Ok, I didn't realise that part of the graphic was missing. I thought they meant that all the values were for "single use" which didn't make any sense at all, unless you define what "single use" means. I guess the missing part of the graphic probably helps to do that? 

I'd say the numerical scale is what is missing (which one may or may not consider a missing part of the 'graphic').

'Single use' probably relates to the length of time something is switched on for. So the kettle is the shortest, at the top, while at the bottom, fridge and wi-fi are continuous.

Any 'popular' graphic of this nature is going to be based on simplifications and assumptions. Of the 4 infographics, I like the fourth the best as it is in effect two dimensional and you can infer more from it

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Could you not just look at the label on the appliance? 😂 Or, was that not part of the experiment? 😉

It would have certainly made things easier.

I'm sure submitting the 6 year old microwace is actually running at exactly 800 watts might have raised some suspicions.

Experimental method, looked at the back of the appliance and read the wattage, then converted to kWh.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:50 PM, fringo said:

For all we know you might have orangutan arms ?

I do have the same colouring as an Orangutan 😁

On 10/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, Hertsscot said:

I think the sheep looks really cool! I would buy one myself but we're okay in the toilet roll holder stakes. And I'm following your husbands advice about not buying stuff we don't need.

Och, you can never have too many loo roll holders . Have you gave any consideration to Mrs H’s Christmas present? 😁

57 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I do have the same colouring as an Orangutan 😁

Och, you can never have too many loo roll holders . Have you gave any consideration to Mrs H’s Christmas present? 😁

Already shown the sheep toilet holder to her and although she liked it she's said we don't need anymore toilet roll holders...And that was going to be her big present this year!

24 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I presume that is currently patrolling your estate mowing down eco-warriors with a flame thrower?

ha ha it’s not a ride on just a wide deck with mahoosive engine, gets the garden done in no time.  Grass took about two hours with an electric.  These extinction rebellion/just stop oil/tyre deflators are a bunch of cocks…  but I wouldn’t go quite as far as extinguishing them. 

honestly electric garden machinery is pitiful… tried a Ryobi rechargeable hedge cutter… rubbish.crapped out at anything bigger than a twig.   Had to go to petrol engined honda.  Electric not up to the job, despite what the eco brigade might tell you.

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

ha ha it’s not a ride on just a wide deck with mahoosive engine, gets the garden done in no time.  Grass took about two hours with an electric.  These extinction rebellion/just stop oil/tyre deflators are a bunch of cocks…  but I wouldn’t go quite as far as extinguishing them. 

honestly electric garden machinery is pitiful… tried a Ryobi rechargeable hedge cutter… rubbish.crapped out at anything bigger than a twig.   Had to go to petrol engined honda.  Electric not up to the job, despite what the eco brigade might tell you.

We have a beech hedge 3 foot in depth, 10 feet high and about 50 ft x4 round our house and an electric hedge cutter works fine. 

I would say it probably  a case of ‘a bad workman’  and all that ….🙂

On 10/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, TDYER63 said:

We have a beech hedge 3 foot in depth, 10 feet high and about 50 ft x4 round our house and an electric hedge cutter works fine. 

I would say it probably  a case of ‘a bad workman’  and all that ….🙂

😂😂😂. Well the same bad workman managed just fine with a petrol powered Honda whereas the battery powered ryobi (which I was led to believe was one of best cordless), continually needed recharged and then the motor burnt out.  nowhere near the same amount of power.  The only thing in its favour was it was impressively light.

7 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

According to Richard Osman on House of Games the other day he said that the average person (may have been household but the point remains) had £450 in unused subscriptions etc 

That's a crazy stat.

Annually it must be?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Current energy plan ends on 30th November 2022

£1462 a year

Moving to Standard Variable which is the cheapest option

£3301 a year

How are you pricing this?

We pay monthly and wont even get close to spending that.