Energy saving tips for winter - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Energy saving tips for winter

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband moaned for 13 years that our bath was too wee for him so we got the bathroom done up and now he is moaning the bigger bath costs too much to fill. So I would recommend that people stick with a wee bath. 

On the other hand we are now saving money on washing.  Last night I went to put fresh towels on the shelf after he had one of his rationed baths only to find he had dried himself then just folded up the wet towel and stuck it in the back in the shelf thinking I wouldn’t find it. Its like living with a child who  tries to hide their vegetables. 

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Don't take this the wrong way but I like your husband.

Why I would never take it the wrong way. I like him too 🙂

I was telling him about some of the money saving tips from Exiles list , the TV being left on stand by in particular. He said ‘ I know what would save us money, if you stop buying shite every week’. 

And that was before he saw this little beauty that arrived from Amazon today. 

3BAB5416-90C3-4051-BA90-A9BFB5FE7D78.thumb.jpeg.2e9d9272bf1c16028ce68c11856bfb3c.jpeg

Edited by TDYER63

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

only tinkering around the edges are possible.  For me, my boiler dwarfs any other energy cost in my house.  That’s why I am getting working fireplaces reinstated.  Probably not the most eco friendly solution, but the most cost effective.

Shame on you Malcolm. I watched a David Attenborough documentary the other night about the artic. I was almost crying. So much so I have decided to stop buying all that shite my husband complains about.
I watched it too late to return  the sheep toilet holder unfortunately,, but hopefully not too late for the polar bears ! 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Shame on you Malcolm. I watched a David Attenborough documentary the other night about the artic. I was almost crying. So much so I have decided to stop buying all that shite my husband complains about.
I watched it too late to return  the sheep toilet holder unfortunately,, but hopefully not too late for the polar bears ! 

You bought some polar bears? 🤔

12 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Why I would never take it the wrong way. I like him too 🙂

I was telling him about some of the money saving tips from Exiles list , the TV being left on stand by in particular. He said ‘ I know what would save us money, if you stop buying shite every week’. 

And that was before he saw this little beauty that arrived from Amazon today. 

3BAB5416-90C3-4051-BA90-A9BFB5FE7D78.thumb.jpeg.2e9d9272bf1c16028ce68c11856bfb3c.jpeg

Quality. 😀

41 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ach cut yourself some slack, if it was ok for the US to bomb pipelines full of greenhouse gases it was ok for you stock up on sheep bogroll holders. Might be a bit off putting though what with the sheep intently staring at you like that as you sit on the lav. (I am assuming this is an on-pot-shot as that sheep really needs to be within arms reach for obvious reasons.)

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Ach cut yourself some slack, if it was ok for the US to bomb pipelines full of greenhouse gases it was ok for you stock up on sheep bogroll holders. Might be a bit off putting though what with the sheep intently staring at you like that as you sit on the lav. (I am assuming this is an on-pot-shot as that sheep really needs to be within arms reach for obvious reasons.)

Wtf,  how high do you think my loo seat is ? I am only 5’ 4. I was standing taking the photo. 
This is an on pot shot, with the lid firmly  down may I add …

46C63139-70D8-474B-A526-03413EDD61C3.thumb.jpeg.be0716a60d302540e8161574cdda59e8.jpeg

I put the sheep on the floor and not at eye level for the very reason you mentioned, it could be unsettling for some people. Especially if they were a bit constipated. However the 👀  follow you no matter where it is placed, its like that picture of Jesus folk had in the 70’s. 

Edited by TDYER63

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I get the personal responsibility bit, but while those and such as those are flying private jets round the world, me heating my house by burning some logs rather than freezing or facing a £15k heating bill does not keep me awake at night.

For those of you that travel by plane to lots of away games I imagine your carbon footprint will be higher than mine as I rarely fly now.

anyway, all of this will soon be tracked when the WEF bring in a digital currency and track your own personal carbon footprint.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I get the personal responsibility bit, but while those and such as those are flying private jets round the world, me heating my house by burning some logs rather than freezing or facing a £15k heating bill does not keep me awake at night.

For those of you that travel by plane to lots of away games I imagine your carbon footprint will be higher than mine as I rarely fly now.

anyway, all of this will soon be tracked when the WEF bring in a digital currency and track your own personal carbon footprint.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek.
Its not great to be burning wood but I am not going to give someone a hard time for trying to keep warm  .  
On the other hand, if everyone said ‘well I am not doing it cos such and such isnt doing it ‘ we may as well just accept the earth is fucked , do as we like , and let future generations suffer. 
I am not a massive ambassador for all things green, I could do much more myself .  I would welcome a  carbon  footprint tracker. Would be a bit of a wake up call.
We are getting a smart meter installed on Monday so that will be a start. Probably of a divorce . 

This was the actual graphic that inspired this thread but I couldn't find it yesterday...

Somehow it seems clearer about what you could most usefully cut down or cut out...

SrrrrrrBloomberg Graphics on Twitter: "🥶🇬🇧⚡️ How much will it cost to run home  appliances during the UK energy crisis? Here's the price breakdown:  https://t.co/fHqNklhz5z https://t.co/5X7OS8mbbL" / Twitter

So looks like a 'bachelors' home companion' lifestyle - keep away from the slow cooker, switch away from conventional cooking to microwave, cut down on the hoovering, refrain from the temptation to do the ironing, eschew the hairdryer...

I still reckon for me at least the biggest saver might be wearing a t-shirt underneath or a fleece on top.  The biggest cost by far is central heating and I may need to get over the idea that it's perfectly normal to walk about in shirt sleeves in the middle of winter. Hopefully that will mean we don't have to have the heating on quite as long or quite as high.

3 hours ago, exile said:

This was the actual graphic that inspired this thread but I couldn't find it yesterday...

Somehow it seems clearer about what you could most usefully cut down or cut out...

SrrrrrrBloomberg Graphics on Twitter: "🥶🇬🇧⚡️ How much will it cost to run home  appliances during the UK energy crisis? Here's the price breakdown:  https://t.co/fHqNklhz5z https://t.co/5X7OS8mbbL" / Twitter

So looks like a 'bachelors' home companion' lifestyle - keep away from the slow cooker, switch away from conventional cooking to microwave, cut down on the hoovering, refrain from the temptation to do the ironing, eschew the hairdryer...

Not hoovering, nor ironing and hair dryers haven't been a problem for me. 😄

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Wtf,  how high do you think my loo seat is ? I am only 5’ 4. I was standing taking the photo. 
This is an on pot shot, with the lid firmly  down may I add …

46C63139-70D8-474B-A526-03413EDD61C3.thumb.jpeg.be0716a60d302540e8161574cdda59e8.jpeg

I put the sheep on the floor and not at eye level for the very reason you mentioned, it could be unsettling for some people. Especially if they were a bit constipated. However the 👀  follow you no matter where it is placed, its like that picture of Jesus folk had in the 70’s. 

For all we know you might have orangutan arms ?

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

…….and I may need to get over the idea that it's perfectly normal to walk about in shirt sleeves in the middle of winter. …

Way off topic, but people always say shirt sleeves when surely it should be short sleeves?

all shirts have a sleeve whether long or short………. if not it must be a ‘sleeveless shirt’ or a ‘muscle shirt’?