Euro 2024 Travel - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euro 2024 Travel

GaryWood34

5 minutes ago, Big Brows said:

Little bit premature but all booked for Larnaca, Cyprus now 👍🏻

Have you been to Larnaca before?

I spent a couple of nights there en route to Nicosia for the previous match.

It's got a beach - of sorts - but I wouldn't call it a resort; it's a town.

Don't get the wrong idea though; I liked Larnaca; some good pubs in the back lanes just off Finikoudes beach.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Have you been to Larnaca before?

I spent a couple of nights there en route to Nicosia for the previous match.

It's got a beach - of sorts - but I wouldn't call it a resort; it's a town.

Don't get the wrong idea though; I liked Larnaca; some good pubs in the back lanes just off Finikoudes beach.

First time for myself but one of the boys who are going has worked there a few times and pretty much said the same.

Happy enough just to get the flights booked at the moment then can look at accomodation at a later stage. If it be close to the stadium or stay in Larnaca then bus it in the day of the game

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 12:28 PM, slasher said:

Yeah doesn’t help that Kiev as a stopover will be out the game, that’s the route we took last time.

We went Turkish with a change at Istanbul last time and it was relatively pricy. I’m sure it will have gone up. Managed an upgrade to business class on the Istanbul to Tbilisi leg, so was quaffing champagne and smoked salmon for the whole flight. 

J

On 10/19/2022 at 8:38 PM, adamntg said:

Anyone got any wisdom about likelihood of tickets for Norway game for 11/12 points.  Sounds a bit dodgy to me - how about home end?

I also managed to get chatting to an expat who was happy buying us home end tickets. Brought him over a bottle of Morgan’s Spice in duty free as a thank you.

J

On 11/10/2022 at 10:25 AM, Bristolhibby said:

We went Turkish with a change at Istanbul last time and it was relatively pricy. I’m sure it will have gone up. Managed an upgrade to business class on the Istanbul to Tbilisi leg, so was quaffing champagne and smoked salmon for the whole flight. 

J

How funny, that happened to us on the Kiev/ Tbilisi leg 😂

The Herald are reporting Spain have announced 3 venues for our game, but it's behind a paywall .

Any got a subscription 🤔

""Spain have drawn up a shortlist of three venues where they will host Scotland in the Euro 2024 qualifiers next year...and the Tartan Army could be heading to Gran Canaria.""

34 minutes ago, stocky said:

The Herald are reporting Spain have announced 3 venues for our game, but it's behind a paywall .

Any got a subscription 🤔

""Spain have drawn up a shortlist of three venues where they will host Scotland in the Euro 2024 qualifiers next year...and the Tartan Army could be heading to Gran Canaria.""

Las Palmas, Alicante, Eiche

40 minutes ago, stocky said:

Any got a subscription 🤔

Not from the Herald but here is the piece.

Spain have drawn up a shortlist of three venues where they will host Scotland in the Euro 2024 qualifiers next year...and the Tartan Army could be heading to Gran Canaria.

Steve Clarke's side will face top seeds Spain in their quest to make their second European Championships in a row and will also play against Norway, Georgia and Cyprus.

Scotland's biggest test will come when they travel to Spain in the third last game of the group in October before travelling to face Georgia and ending with a home game against the Norwegians.

Spain doesn't have a home stadium for their national team and take their games all around the country.

And it's been reported the Royal Spanish Football Federation have drawn up a shortlist of three venues where they will host the Scots.

The favourite is the 32,392-capacity Estadio Gran Canaria in Las Palmas.

They hosted Northern Ireland there for the Euro 2008 qualifiers, but haven't played there for four years.

The other options are the Estadio Manuel Martínez Valero in Elche which holds 31,388 and last hosted a Nations League qualifier against Croatia in 2018.

And nearby Estadio José Rico Pérez in Alicante, which holds 29,500, is also being considered having been last used by the Spanish national team in a World Cup qualifier in 2017 against Albania.

Scotland kick off their Euro 2024 campaign with a home double-header against Cyprus and Spain in March.

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Any got a subscription 🤔

Take that with the largest pinch of salt....

They list no source, and based on current criteria, Spain have to announce the 10 or so venue they plan to use to UEFA in the next month or two, but they are under no obligation to announce where a specific match will be played for some time yet.

For a game that is 11 months away, and Spain under no obligation to announce our venue until around June time, no idea how they can say Gran Canaria  is the favorite for the game.

Edited by wanderer

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a few flights up for Tbilisi next November.

Unfortunately due to the war in Ukraine, seems to have saw a lot of options from last time no longer being a option, and the prices are through the roof.

Also, being November, thats firmly in winter time table for a lot of the routes (The only cheap airline in and out of Georgia lookes to be Wizz, with a Tblisi route from Budapest, but the flight days are useless to this game, and being back home in time for the Norway game)

Imagine via Poland or Istanbul will be the popular choices.

Edited by wanderer

On 12/5/2022 at 2:28 PM, wanderer said:

Quite a few flights up for Tbilisi next November.

Unfortunately due to the war in Ukraine, seems to have saw a lot of options from last time no longer being a option, and the prices are through the roof.

Also, being November, thats firmly in winter time table for a lot of the routes (The only cheap airline in and out of Georgia lookes to be Wizz, with a Tblisi route from Budapest, but the flight days are useless to this game, and being back home in time for the Norway game)

Imagine via Poland or Istanbul will be the popular choices.

Stay away from Wizz, honestly, if the only way in is by camel or by Wizz I'm going camel. Wizz are gash, SO unreliable and a real pain in the tits to get refunds out of, I'm still waiting for a refund from a Dublin - Vienna flight they moved to get us to Armenia in June... 

Anybody booked flights to Oslo .I had flights booked and they just sent an email saying the flight from Edinburgh on the 15th June with SAS has been cancelled.The return on the 18th June was still going ahead but because they cancelled the Edinburgh to Oslo flight the whole booking has been cancelled.it is still 7 months away so it seems a bit early to cancel.Anybody else booked anything yet.Having to start the search again.

On 12/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, From_Dundee_to_Ancoats said:

Looked at Georgia flights. Best routes so far seem to be via Poland.

Imagine cheapest routes will start to appear April time.

Like above. For a long distance route wouldn't be booking wizz air a year in advance. 90% they will move the flight.

Loads of wizz flights on sale now to Kutaisi just now.... problem is that is 4 hours from Tbilisi, and only 2 trains per day.

Back in 2019 Ryanair made a big song and dance about flights to Georgia, but looks like they have completely pulled out now, with Wizz the only low-cost carrier that goes to Georgia.

Looks like Poland, Athens and Istanbul are about the only options (though the Turkish Airlines prices are a joke! You can do one way for £220, but closer to £700 for a return flight)

1 minute ago, tattiescone69 said:

Question is will it be ready by November or will we end up in Batumi too ? 😯

My guess is, the stadium will be ready, but the weather in Georgia in November is probably more likely to dictate... Batumi being on the Black Sea coast will probably seem a better option that Tbilisi, but same time, Tbilisi is where the majority of flights into the country go, and even if you count Kutaisi, its still a 3-4 hour trek to Batumi.

Personally, I would be very wary of booking a flight for the Friday that leaves before 9am

From @GeorgianFooty on twitter

Batumi Arena to host the opening UEFA EURO 2024 Qualifying round match between Georgia and Norway! With the country's biggest ground Dinamo Arena pending a maintenance in 2023, Georgia will open its qualifying campaign in Batumi on the 28th of March taking on Norway.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

My guess is, the stadium will be ready, but the weather in Georgia in November is probably more likely to dictate... Batumi being on the Black Sea coast will probably seem a better option that Tbilisi, but same time, Tbilisi is where the majority of flights into the country go, and even if you count Kutaisi, its still a 3-4 hour trek to Batumi.

Personally, I would be very wary of booking a flight for the Friday that leaves before 9am

Was thinking about booking Istanbul mon to sat then book the second flight once we get confirmation , Turkish airlines are pretty pricey though 

6 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

Was thinking about booking Istanbul mon to sat then book the second flight once we get confirmation , Turkish airlines are pretty pricey though 

Turkish Airline is crazy, you can get one way for just over £200 or return for £700.

Some decent prices from Warsaw, but compared to Armenia last year and last time we played Georgia, routes at decent prices are few and far between, unless you want to gamble on Wizz having a flight they are selling just now being still there in 11 months time, and then a 4 hour road trip each way to get to the venue of the game from there.

20 hours ago, wanderer said:

Turkish Airline is crazy, you can get one way for just over £200 or return for £700.

Some decent prices from Warsaw, but compared to Armenia last year and last time we played Georgia, routes at decent prices are few and far between, unless you want to gamble on Wizz having a flight they are selling just now being still there in 11 months time, and then a 4 hour road trip each way to get to the venue of the game from there.

Not a chance am I gambling on a Wizz flight, rather hire a car, did it in Montenegro/Albania, which was fun.