Jack Hendry - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Hendry

er yir macaroon

Hendry took a lot of stick on here during his Celtic days and was ridiculed by some. His potential was always clear enough and it would seem he’s now fulfilling it. He was different class these last three games. 
He has unbelievable pace, very good technique, good in the air, can bring the ball out of defence and he shouts and organises. If he gets a full season of games in Italy his transfer value will become very high indeed.

6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hendry took a lot of stick on here during his Celtic days and was ridiculed by some. His potential was always clear enough and it would seem he’s now fulfilling it. He was different class these last three games. 
He has unbelievable pace, very good technique, good in the air, can bring the ball out of defence and he shouts and organises. If he gets a full season of games in Italy his transfer value will become very high indeed.

Really hope cremonese give him a proper chance as he was building a decent career in belgium up until recently. Hes a guy that will improve with more experience, just hope he can get serie a experience this season and wont stagnate on the bench. His ability to stride out from defence with the ball is excellent and hes really been rock solid defensively in these games. 

Hes definitely put himself at the top of the centre back pecking order. I would say him and mckenna deserve the centre back positions for right now but obviously as we know that can all change pretty quickly.

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Really hope cremonese give him a proper chance as he was building a decent career in belgium up until recently. Hes a guy that will improve with more experience, just hope he can get serie a experience this season and wont stagnate on the bench. His ability to stride out from defence with the ball is excellent and hes really been rock solid defensively in these games. 

Hes definitely put himself at the top of the centre back pecking order. I would say him and mckenna deserve the centre back positions for right now but obviously as we know that can all change pretty quickly.

I’d go with Hendry and McKenna as it gives us a high line with their pace. Porteous was great though and Souttar, if he can get himself fit, is also a very good player. 

I have always thought he had the potential and has really played well last few games along with other decent performances. Also comes up with the odd goal now and again.

I remember he was unfairly blamed in a thread on here for the goal in the the Euros v Czech when it was clearly David Marshall fault.😅

11 hours ago, robbo cop said:

I have always thought he had the potential and has really played well last few games along with other decent performances. Also comes up with the odd goal now and again.

I remember he was unfairly blamed in a thread on here for the goal in the the Euros v Czech when it was clearly David Marshall fault.😅

I think theres huge potential with hendry but i am worried he will stagnate this season if he doesnt get games at club level. Really hope cremonese have seen how well he played in these three games and they start giving him first team chances. If he plays well in serie a this season then that will make him more attractive to potential buyers at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think theres huge potential with hendry but i am worried he will stagnate this season if he doesnt get games at club level. Really hope cremonese have seen how well he played in these three games and they start giving him first team chances. If he plays well in serie a this season then that will make him more attractive to potential buyers at the end of the season. 

I would say stand-out performances on the international stage will also enhance interest from potential buyers. He has a lot of attributes that really benefit us such as pace, he is comfortable on the ball, marshalls the defence well and has already shown he is a goal threat at set pieces for us with three goals already for Scotland.

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I would say stand-out performances on the international stage will also enhance interest from potential buyers. He has a lot of attributes that really benefit us such as pace, he is comfortable on the ball, marshalls the defence well and has already shown he is a goal threat at set pieces for us with three goals already for Scotland.

Would love to see nottingham forest buy him but thats just pipe dream. Imagine having mckenna and hendry playing every week together. 

34 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would love to see nottingham forest buy him but thats just pipe dream. Imagine having mckenna and hendry playing every week together. 

………. in the championship!

nah, he’s better having a good season in Italy and the getting noticed by a bigger Italian side. Defending in Italy will really form him.

Just now, ger intae them said:

………. in the championship!

nah, he’s better having a good season in Italy and the getting noticed by a bigger Italian side. Defending in Italy will really form him.

Jack hendrys done very little in his career to suggest hes better than the english championship. I know everyones pleased he played well these three games but a little bit of perspective is needed. Hes been papped out of club brugge to a poor team who will likely get relegated and he might struggle to even get gametime there. Thats not the signs of a guy who is going to get snapped up by an epl side.

Personally i wouldnt mind him having a season in the english championship and then moving up to the top flight after that. Hes very much inexperienced in terms of first team football and its imperative that he gets it even if its at lower level. 

If you dont like the idea of hendry playing english championship then surely you should feel the same as mckenna who will likely be down there next season. 

He joined Cremonese on loan fairly close to the end of the transfer window if I remember correctly. He's been in their  matchday squad twice since then - away to Atalanta where he was on for the final 7 mins to help see out a 1-1 draw - then home to Lazio in the game before the international break - Cremonese got scudded 4-0 and Hendry remained on the bench.

Since they returned to Serie A, Cremonese have been playing a 3 Perhaps that spanking by Lazio will bring about a system or personnel change from their manager. They face fellow top league newcomers Lecce away on Sunday.

It will be interesting to see if Hendry is in the manager's plans for that one. I am sure over the course of the season he will manage to get into their starting 11, and will play most games.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Jack hendrys done very little in his career to suggest hes better than the english championship. I know everyones pleased he played well these three games but a little bit of perspective is needed. Hes been papped out of club brugge to a poor team who will likely get relegated and he might struggle to even get gametime there. Thats not the signs of a guy who is going to get snapped up by an epl side.

Personally i wouldnt mind him having a season in the english championship and then moving up to the top flight after that. Hes very much inexperienced in terms of first team football and its imperative that he gets it even if its at lower level. 

If you dont like the idea of hendry playing english championship then surely you should feel the same as mckenna who will likely be down there next season. 

He’s better than the championship 100%!

19 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He might be but he’s 27 now and never really been a regular for a club team beyond a full season 

I looked up his record the other day and I was surprised at how old he was and how few first team games he’d played to date. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He might be but he’s 27 now and never really been a regular for a club team beyond a full season 

So? We have players who have had careers where they have been ever presents in club football but have not done the business for Scotland. As long as a player excels in a Scotland jersey I do not give a jot about how many club games they have played and at what level.

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So? We have players who have had careers where they have been ever presents in club football but have not done the business for Scotland. As long as a player excels in a Scotland jersey I do not give a jot about how many club games they have played and at what level.

Indeed. It was in reply to the comment saying he’s better than the championship. 

Like all our other centre back he’s a few games away from being called a dud if we get pumped off someone or he makes a bad mistake. 

32 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anybody can play well or badly for Scotland at any given time however a good indicator of how a player will perform or what standard they are operating at is how they play and at what level they play their club football.

Ie Considine came in and was great for us in a one off game but over a period of a campaign id rather have a player starting every week for Ac Milan.

9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Like all our other centre back he’s a few games away from being called a dud if we get pumped off someone or he makes a bad mistake. 

Yes there is that.  We could go through all of our squad and each players has had stick at one point or another from a frustrated fan posting on here.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Just now, Diamond Scot said:

Anybody can play well or badly for Scotland at any given time however a good indicator of how a player will perform or what standard they are operating at is how they play and at what level they play their club football.

Ie Considine came in and was great for us in a one off game but over a period of a campaign id rather have a player starting every week for Ac Milan.

That does not always run true though does it? Alan Hansen and Gary Gillespie were regulars for Liverpool when they dominated English football but both were very disappointing for us - more so than Hendry I'd say. Another example was Charlie Adam of Rangers and Liverpool but mince for Scotland. Charlie Nicholas' international form was poor yet played for Celtic and Arsenal. I have no doubt there are lots more.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That does not always run true though does it? Alan Hansen and Gary Gillespie were regulars for Liverpool when they dominated English football but both were very disappointing for us - more so than Hendry I'd say. Another example was Charlie Adam of Rangers and Liverpool but mince for Scotland. Charlie Nicholas' international form was poor yet played for Celtic and Arsenal. I have no doubt there are lots more.

Of course it doesnt always run true however for every Charlie Adam or Nicholas there will be plenty more Kevin Kyles or others.

Simply put, a squad full of players playing at the top level will perform over time much better than a squad full of medium or low level players. That doesnt mean that the medium or low level players cant outperform the top level players on any given day or indeed in some circumstances there just happens to be players who perfom better at international level. Healy for NI or even McFadden for us.

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes well I am not one of those who judges players solely on the club they play for. I mean the Hendry we have today is not all of a sudden transformed into a far better player if he signed for AC Milan next week.

Nobody is saying that a player should "solely" be judged on what club they play for. I am saying its a good indicator of the level they are at. 

To take your analogy, the reason it wouldnt make Hendry a better player is the same reason why Ac Milan wouldnt and havent signed him already. He isnt good enough to play for them week in week out. Again thats not to say I dont rate him or that he hasnt been or wont continue to be good for Scotland.

I always find this a very strange debate. The concept of the best clubs having the best players shouldnt be one thats even open for debate. Thats why they are the best clubs and win things.

We should aspire to have as many players playing in top leagues, at top clubs as possible. That shows improvement on our part and also allows the strength in depth that we have relied upon this week. We were decimated by injuries yet we could stick field a back 4 consisting of a regular in the EPL. A champions league player who has just moved to Italy, Celtics 1st choice LB who is playing in Champions league and hibs best defender.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Are you serious? English second string or Italian 1st string……. !!!!!

give the guy a chance to prove himself, he can end up in championship if he’s not good enough.