John McGinn - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

John McGinn

COLT NY

Super John McGinn’s a pretty good song to belt out now and again, but I think anyone that gets to 14 goals from midfield really should be looking at at least two songs to his name.

Here’s my effort (goes like Michael Finnegan). I’ll now duck and take cover….

There is a young man called John McGinn I ken

He gets goals and Scotland win again

Shunts his arse, he’s on the spin again

Nice one John McGinn again… Sing again

Edited by COLT NY

12 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

To be honest I find signaling out one player a bit annoying. Maybe if they score or come close,but what about the rest of the team? 

I do too but we dont seem to have a vast back catalogue of songs or lyricists  . Well done to whoever came up with the McTominay song, its quite a feat to create something from a name with 4 syllables that 50k people can sing 🙂

I was a bit pissed off with all the England songs at the start. I would happily bawl out songs about their demise when we are winning a game comfortably,   but it was quite nervy and felt it would have better to sing about our own team for encouragement . It stopped for a while  after Ireland scored. I doubt anyone else cared right enough 😊

Edited by TDYER63

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I do too but we dont seem to have a vast back catalogue of songs or lyricists  . Well done to whoever came up with the McTominay song, its quite a feat to create something from a name with 4 syllables that 50k people can sing 🙂

I was a bit pissed off with all the England songs at the start. I would happily bawl out songs about their demise when we are winning a game comfortably,   but it was quite nervy and felt it would have better to sing about our own team for encouragement . It stopped for a while  after Ireland scored. I doubt anyone else cared right enough 😊

There was one song last night that took me ages to work out what the tune was. Eventually came to me, Rotterdam by the Beautiful South. Can't remember what our new lyrics were though 😄

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I was a bit pissed off with all the England songs at the start. I would happily bawl out songs with about their demise when we are winning a game comfortably,   but it was quite nervy and felt it would have better to sing about our own team for encouragement . It stopped for a while  after Ireland scored. I doubt anyone else cared right enough 😊

I am the same Tdyer.  Can't be ersed with songs about England or in my day it was Beckham.  Load of crap.  Sing songs about our own team.  I like the one above about McGinn, it's quite clever.  Wasn't there last night but still buzzing with the result.  Dreading Tuesday.  I am sure a lot of guys and gals on here are old enough to remember the bitter sting of failing at the last hurdle.  If there is a God.........................

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Not really. Just take his name and set it to the old Muppets classic.  Everyone will remember how it goes no matter how p*shed they get.

15 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

There was one song last night that took me ages to work out what the tune was. Eventually came to me, Rotterdam by the Beautiful South. Can't remember what our new lyrics were though 😄

I didnt even hear that one . There was a song I had never heard but could not work out what it was , I think i would have remembered  if it was the Rotterdam tune. 

There was clearly a missed opportunity during covid to have a zoom party to learn all these new songs…. Only heard doh a deer once last night which must be a record during games that we are not getting pumped in. 

17 minutes ago, SamP said:

I am the same Tdyer.  Can't be ersed with songs about England or in my day it was Beckham.  Load of crap.  Sing songs about our own team.  I like the one above about McGinn, it's quite clever.  Wasn't there last night but still buzzing with the result.  Dreading Tuesday.  I am sure a lot of guys and gals on here are old enough to remember the bitter sting of failing at the last hurdle.  If there is a God.........................

The McGinn song is simple and works. Singing about England doesnt bother me at the right time, as a filler when we are comfortable in the game, they do the same to us, but I cant really see what value it brings to the team at the start of a match. 

It was a pretty good atmosphere last night for most of the time. Usually when its a  Saturday night game its starts off noisy but slowly deteriorates as folk sober up , especially if we are playing bad. But it was fairly loud for most of the game. 
Yeah, pretty nervous for Tuesday too. But I think we will do ok so long as we dont lose key players due to injury. 

25 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Not really. Just take his name and set it to the old Muppets classic.  Everyone will remember how it goes no matter how p*shed they get.

😂 I am not sure singing someones name to the tune of a Muppets song is a huge compliment, but it does work . It’s a bit chirpier than Bonnie Tyler  too. 

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just good natured banter. 😉 To be fair, he took it well, and anyone who ever met him would tell you what likeable person he was. 

Apart from when he tried to sue ScottK that is. 

Edited by aaid

• 1 month later...