Ukraine v Scotland - discussion - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ukraine v Scotland - discussion

romanticscot

On 9/25/2022 at 12:16 PM, ProudScot said:

Yeah agreed the depth at full back now is ridiculous. And good points on the Celtic back ups, back ups who are playing champs league footy.

Right back depth; 

Nathan Patterson, Aaron Hickey, Tony Ralston

u21 rb Harrison Ashby u19 rb Jack Harkness

Left back depth;

The two best left backs in the world IMO & then Josh Doig & Greg Taylor

You're on smack

On 9/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, HighlandScot said:

Just when things were looking promising it is a massive blow to lose Tierney and McKenna. Taylor is a huge downgrade from Robertson or Tierney, and I would go Ralston at right back and Hickey on the left. At least Ralston has some physicality about him which Taylor lacks. But Clark obviously likes Taylor so he likely will get the nod. To replace McKenna I am hoping it will be Gallagher as he has the experience, plus Porteous is too rash. To get a result now is much harder. 

Taylor is a perfectly capable replacement at LB he's playing at a good level including champions league and is a much better player than he gets credit for. Has come on a lot that last couple of years.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:00 PM, ProudScot said:

Eugh Taylor is such a downgrade on Tierney.

Ralston RB & Hickey LB for me 

Won't happen, why would we move Hickey to accommodate Ralston when Hickey and Taylor could play their own positions where both are better than the alternative 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Kirk said:

You're on smack

Taylor is a perfectly capable replacement at LB he's playing at a good level including champions league and is a much better player than he gets credit for. Has come on a lot that last couple of years.

Won't happen, why would we move Hickey to accommodate Ralston when Hickey and Taylor could play their own positions where both are better than the alternative 

You’re on smack 

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wish we had an extra day to call up Burke and Shankland. Don't like the sound of this "virus" Adams and Dykes have picked up.

Ryan Fraser as emergency striker ?

Burke would be an obvious choice considering he lives right next door to poland but i am guessing its a bit late to call up anybody. I would put fraser upfront if adams and dykes cant make it.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No we shouldn't. We should get on with it.

The Czech's had an entire squad ruled out through COVID protocols two years ago and simply played us with a B team - and were unlucky to lose !

Pretty galling from our perspective but I agree - not fair to move it unless you don't have enough players to provide a starting team. Czechs were in a far worse state back then than our current situation.

Assuming Adams is fine as he declared yesterday we can still start with a competent if very depleted team, even with the Armstrong, Fraser and Taylor concerns:

Gordon; Hickey, Hendry, Gallagher, Kingsley; McGinn, Gilmour, McGregor; Christie, Adams, McKay

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Apparently Armstrong, Taylor and Fraser also gone down with this virus. Not much else that can go wrong surely. 

It seems like we are destined to remain in league B and pot 3 for the rest of eternity. At least it isn’t hangovers that are going to scupper us this time. 

29 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No we shouldn't. We should get on with it.

The Czech's had an entire squad ruled out through COVID protocols two years ago and simply played us with a B team - and were unlucky to lose !

I wasn't being serious, but we have had to move the dates of our games when there was no real reason why the opposition couldn't play. 

Edited by Orraloon

16 hours ago, ProudScot said:

There’s no way Gallagher or Kingsley will start In a back 4 ahead of Porteous when Porteous was called up ahead of them into the squad. 

Plenty of examples of that in the past. 

Gallagher is more experience and has played in huge games for Scotland before. 

Porteous is upcapped. 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Gallagher is more experience and has played in huge games for Scotland before. 

Yes. Prime example was a very similar match with high stakes - away to Serbia in the play-off a couple of years ago. Gallagher did not let us down or crumple under pressure in that game. Porteous is an unknown at this level as is Kingsley.

17 hours ago, todd said:

Those Russian cuntz have really hosed us!  If it wasn't for having to drop the results against the bottom team in each group (because of their exclusion) we'd more or less have the best second placed Pot 2 spot in the bag already. 🤨

Not to mention we'd have played Ukraine in March when in better form as well 😕

45 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Cannot see anywhere about Armstrong, Fraser and Taylor having the bug/virus so who knows.

If they are unwell along with Adams and Dykes then surely more players would be called up.

I suppose we wil have to wait and see.

I think it’s probably a bit late in the day for calling more players up and flying them out to Poland for a game that kicks off in 8 hours. 

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Maybe if all our players pretend to be spewing up at the side of the park before kick off the Ukraine players will avoid them like the plague? Worth a try.

😂😂😂

They might not need to pretend at this rate.

I just hope it’s just spewing and nobody does a Lineker. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes. Prime example was a very similar match with high stakes - away to Serbia in the play-off a couple of years ago. Gallagher did not let us down or crumple under pressure in that game. Porteous is an unknown at this level as is Kingsley.

I would be more comfortable with Gallagher playing.

The thought of Porteous playing makes me nervous and although Kingsley has one cap against France I think he was a sub and I have no memory of how he played. It was also a good few years ago.

Having said that though I think we were all a bit nervous when Gallagher started against Serbia and he was outstanding that night. Nothing to say Porteous or Kingsley couldn’t do something similar tonight. They could be inspired by the occasion. 

Edited by Texas Pete